SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Florida: Bill to Evict Squatters Immediately Passes Unanimously
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Florida: Bill to Evict Squatters Immediately Passes Unanimously Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
Another good thing by Florida's legislators, DeSantis will sign and it changes the game on dealing with Squatters.

Link

Bill to Evict Squatters Immediately Passes Unanimously Sparking ‘Positive Hope’ Among Property Owners

The state of Florida has recently passed a bill unanimously that introduces a new approach to handling squatting.

This legislation permits law enforcement to evict squatters immediately, bypassing the often lengthy and complicated court proceedings that are typically required. This is a significant shift in how squatting cases are addressed, aiming to provide a quicker resolution for property owners facing such issues.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I think Georgia is working in the same thing.

I am confounded that this crap is legal anywhere in the United States. Regarding the laws as they currently exist- whatever they intend, they are simply fucked up. Any law that allows this squatter stuff to go on is just plain fucked up. I don't care what the laws are intended to do. Fucked. Up.

Posts: 107599 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^
101%

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43885 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I can understand going through an eviction with a tenant who signed a lease.

It's bullshit that some douchebag who breaks into the property, changes the locks, and starts living there is given legal rights and has to be evicted. It's trespassing and LEOs should be able to drag their ass out in handcuffs with zero prior court involvement.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23261 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
The nightmare that I know about is a homeowner who decided to be "nice" and let a bum live in a shed on their property. It was all cool, until they wanted the bum to leave. The bum had received mail with his name on it at said address, and he used this mail as "legal proof" that he really lived there and was entitled to stay.

It gets worse, the bum somehow got a restraining order against the homeowner, so the homeowner could no longer go home.

These are not the days of ex-Portland Mayor Bud Clark who 40 years ago had a homeless guy live under his porch for years, and it was cool and nobody cared. Those days are long gone.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Entitled to stay?

On what grounds? Is his name on the deed / title? Mortgage? Insurance? Utilities? Rental agreement?
Anything remotely associated to the property?

If not, GTFO.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I hope so. I've read the bill, and it looks pretty good. I just hope that the sheriffs have the bandwidth and desire to do it.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12779 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
if the cops won't the people will

the cops may not be happy, but the problem will be solved one way or another

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^

Homeowner: "Well, that squatter now has a permanent place to stay under that mound of dirt back there by the big oak tree..."

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43885 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I have NEVER understood why squatters weren't immediately arrested and charged with breaking & entering and trespassing.

They enter those properties illegally and stay their illegally.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37958 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get enough bleeding hearts into a position to make laws and that is the kind of crap you end up with. Good for Florida!

Posts: 951 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If I ever came home to find some toad trying to take up residence on my property and refused to leave, they would regret it completely and utterly.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
If I ever came home to find some toad trying to take up residence on my property and refused to leave, they would regret it completely and utterly.

And probably immediately, I imagine.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The 1990 movie Pacific Heights depicts, pretty accurately, I think, how difficult it can be to evict a squatter. Well, through legal means, anyway.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Classic film. Eviction not squatting. Great perfomances by all.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I can understand going through an eviction with a tenant who signed a lease.

It's bullshit that some douchebag who breaks into the property, changes the locks, and starts living there is given legal rights and has to be evicted. It's trespassing and LEOs should be able to drag their ass out in handcuffs with zero prior court involvement.

This is how it is handled in Kentucky.
Not on the lease, doesn’t matter if you have lived there for 50 years. The lease holder wants you out, good day.

Not on the deed of owned property (unless you are married) the owner wants you out. GOOD DAY!!
Doesn’t matter if you get mail there, pay the bills.

Name not on the lease or deed. Goodbye!!

Now if there is a lease in place the owner must go through the eviction process.

Makes life so very simple.

Are you on the lease? Are you the owner of the property? Simple yes or no questions.

quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
I have NEVER understood why squatters weren't immediately arrested and charged with breaking & entering and trespassing.

They enter those properties illegally and stay their illegally.

They are here.
Been at this 18 years and have had one instance of someone claiming squatters rights.
They were quickly informed there is no such thing. They were charged with Burglary.

The only way adverse possession is possible in Kentucky is if someone lives on property continuously for 15 years AND THEY PAY the taxes continuously for those 15 years.

So if the property owner is paying the taxes there is no possible way for adverse possession.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25423 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
^^^

Homeowner: "Well, that squatter now has a permanent place to stay under that mound of dirt back there by the big oak tree..."

Hey, it's Florida. No digging required. Just take the moron for a boat ride.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
That they even need a new law to deal with this is a sad commentary.

Posts: 20103 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
That they even need a new law to deal with this is a sad commentary.

This problem is an outgrowth of the unintended consequences of poorly written, overzealous tenant protection laws in some states.

A very low bar for what qualifies as legal residency, clunky or nonfunctional eviction processes, and HUGE, life changing penalties for unlawful evictions. The squatters are pros and know how to work the system. Put them out on your own and the law is on their side.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Have a situation locally where squatters have occupied a home in an older but decent neighborhood. Crack/meth heads supposedly. Stealing power and water. Cops been called numerous times by the neighbors. Can't do anything
about it.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post