SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Illexit? Illinois wants to leave Chicago
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Illexit? Illinois wants to leave Chicago Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted
Illinois wants to leave Chicago.... Illexit?

Illinois Republicans are rallying around a bill to kick deep-blue Chicago out of the state

Brad Halbrook stood in front of a crowd of more than 1,600 people on March 10 in Effingham, Ill., roughly 200 miles south of Chicago. According to supporters who were there, the rallygoers went wild when Halbrook — a Republican state lawmaker — talked about his big idea: a resolution to separate Chicago and its 3 million residents from the state of Illinois.

If Halbrook and his supporters have their way, the 51st state would not be the District of Columbia or Puerto Rico. It will be the Windy City.

Halbrook, who represents a district east of Springfield, Ill., reintroduced a bill in February to create a new state around Chicago. According to Halbrook, there are eight co-sponsors, up from three when it was introduced last year. The bill has a long way to go; it needs at least 60 votes to pass the Illinois House of Representatives, to say nothing of the state Senate or the governor.

And yet the bill’s supporters are hopeful, pointing to a rising tide of frustration toward what they see as Chicago’s overstated influence in Illinois politics, namely around issues of gun rights, debt, immigration and abortion. After the 2018 election, Democrats now control the state Senate, House and governor’s office.

“This isn’t an idea that’s going to go very far,” said Steve Brown, spokesman for House Speaker Michael Madigan (D).

Yet the call for separation has picked up speed in part because of the work by grass-roots movements such as Illinois Separation and New Illinois to spread the movement to the county level in the past year.

“The movement is building,” Halbrook said.

Collin Cliburn, 32, started the Illinois Separation blog in 2018. Cliburn, who is a carpenter and works on the separation movement part-time, has lobbied counties throughout the state to introduce a nonbinding resolution to the ballot.

“I want to show the legislature that this is truly what the people want, and the only way we can do that is through a nonbinding resolution,” he said. According to Cliburn, he’s seeing momentum for the nonbinding resolution in 20 out of the state’s 102 counties.

One county has already decided to put the issue to a vote. Effingham County, in southern Illinois, will include the question on the 2020 ballot.

G.H. Merritt, co-founder of New Illinois, said she was considering moving out of the state as she became increasingly unhappy with the new administration’s economic policies. “Then it hit me like a bolt of lightning,” Merritt said. “Why should we be the ones to leave?”

People outside of the metropolitan Chicago area feel as though they don’t have a voice anymore, Merritt said.

“Forty percent of the population live in Cook County, and they completely dominate state politics,” she said. “The other 60 percent have to dance to their tune.”

According to Halbrook, while Chicago is an economic force in the state, the rest of Illinois holds the key to its own economic success: agriculture. “One in 4 jobs is related to agriculture so there is another economic driver,” he said.

Merritt, who was formerly a nonprofit administrator, said it’s not really a “red, blue, Republican and Democrat thing. It’s an urban versus rural thing."

Many researchers and scholars see statehood movements like Illinois’s as a symptom of a growing division between large cities and rural communities. Similar movements in California and New York have crept into the mainstream, too.

“This is an idea that has been around and comes and goes,” said John Jackson, political professor emeritus at the Paul Simon Public Policy Institute at Southern Illinois University at Carbondale. “Especially if you have one or two big cities and a lot of rural areas.”

While Cook County and the five urban counties that surround Chicago have turned heavily Democratic, the rest of the state has grown more and more Republican, according to Jackson.

“It’s a way for conservative and Republican legislators to let up steam,” Jackson said. “It’s always popular downstate to run against Chicago.”

The problem isn’t unique to Illinois, according to Robert P. Jones, chief executive of the Public Religion Research Institute, a nonprofit and nonpartisan research organization. Jones, a scholar on religion, culture and politics, said it’s particularly evident in states with a healthy, vibrant city center and a larger agricultural base. He attributes part of this national trend to younger generations who are moving out of rural areas, as well as an increase in ideological sorting.

“For younger people, there’s evidence that people are moving to fit their ideological and cultural identity,” Jones said.

According to the PRRI’s 2018 American Values Atlas, the differences between Chicago and the rest of the state are stark. In Chicago, 53 percent of the population is white. In the rest of Illinois, that fraction is 73 percent. Roughly 28 percent of non-Chicago residents hold a college degree, while 36 percent of Chicagoans do.

While people might be paying closer attention to the divide between cities and rural communities now, the problem isn’t new, according to Jones. “It’s been a long-term trend, this isn’t the last five to 10 years,” he said. “It’s been the last couple of generations.”

A 2018 Pew Research Center study on the similarities and differences between rural and urban communities found the divide fell almost strictly along partisan party lines, according to senior researcher Ruth Igielnik. While there have always been more Democrats than Republicans in urban areas, there’s been a stronger concentration in the past 10 years, Igielnik said. “Twice as many voters identified as Democrats than Republicans in urban communities,” she said.

“It was really divisive,” Igielnik said. “We really didn’t see many political similarities.”

Back in Illinois, Merritt said the proposal was more than a conversation starter. It’s a movement of people who are “willing to fight for our home,” she said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.4fbb0789264a

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24055 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
More Dim Senators and Congressmen?
No thanks.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Best idea today!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, give Chicago its own Representative in congress, plus two of its own Senators? OK, that's how things are in Illinois now and have been for many years. Maybe if we dump the trash we could get our own legislators again.

OK, go ahead! I'll vote for it!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9143 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I usually don't support the notion that the only way to get a jackass' attention is to smack it across the nose with a two by four, but it makes sense here. Maybe Nevada can do the same with Las Vegas?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
great idea, but en vogue has a message

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Just nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Posts: 2008 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nukeandpave:

More Dim Senators and Congressmen? No thanks.
If the non-Chicago state elects Republicans, it would actually dilute Democratic representation slightly. With 51 states, the Chicago-area state would have 3.9% of the Senate, as opposed to Illinois' current 4%.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Feel-good political grandstanding, never gonna happen. A better idea is for Wisconsin to invade and annex Chicago. Outside Chi-town no one will resist. Windy City pols will try to motivate the locals, they won't respond.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Can they kick Chicago out, and Chicago then become a non-state protectorate, like Puerto Rico? No senators or congresscrittes. Doesn't get to participate in presidential elections?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can they kick Chicago out, and Chicago then become a non-state protectorate, like Puerto Rico? No senators or congresscrittes. Doesn't get to participate in presidential elections?

That would be ideal!
Big Grin

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24055 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would love to see the Yoop secede from Michigan. Our problems are similar to Illinois.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe one new state, comprised of Chicago, NYC, SFO, Las Vegas, MSP, add a few more and give them two senators and a couple Reps.

For convenience sake, we could name the new state Themassholes.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9143 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I hate to rain on their parade, but it doesn't matter what the Illinoisans do--adding a state or splitting one requires approval from the US Congress AFTER the state(s) have voted approval. I just don't see Congress giving its OK on this. (Or for splitting California into 2-5 states, or any other splits contemplated.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Feel-good political grandstanding, never gonna happen. A better idea is for Wisconsin to invade and annex Chicago. Outside Chi-town no one will resist. Windy City pols will try to motivate the locals, they won't respond.

We will not be taking any prisoners.

Our prisons are already full of Chicagoans.

Posts: 1349 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Two words - fuck that.

Only way it would be palatable would be Chicago assuming a "DC" like status - Reps with no voting power and no Senators.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I hate to rain on their parade, but it doesn't matter what the Illinoisans do--adding a state or splitting one requires approval from the US Congress AFTER the state(s) have voted approval. I just don't see Congress giving its OK on this. (Or for splitting California into 2-5 states, or any other splits contemplated.)
Yup.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Odumbo could be its governor!

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6394 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
Odumbo could be its governor!

God help them.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I would love to see the Yoop secede from Michigan. Our problems are similar to Illinois.

Not really. Most of the Lower, outside the urban areas & the Capitol, is Red.

Besides: The U.P.'s economy is very poor. It receives a lot of financial support from the state. If that funding went away, the State of Superior (one name often floated) would become the U.S.' least populous, and likely its poorest, state.

I suppose it's because I'm a flat-lander, but I've never understood the apparent resentment some (many?) in the U.P. harbor for the L.P. Whereas those of us from south of the Mac love the Yoop.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post