SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Upside Down Pineapple and CBS's "Ghosts".
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Upside Down Pineapple and CBS's "Ghosts". Login/Join 
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted
We've recently learned from some of our more "broadminded" friends that the Upside Down Pineapple is a symbol for Swingers.

After hearing this I was watching an episode of "Ghosts" on CBS. "Ghosts" is a sitcom based in New England where a couple inherit a house only to find it full of Ghosts.

In the episode I was watching, they stop by a neighbor's house. I almost spit my drink out when I noticed what was on the wall. How racy of CBS? Or maybe how clueless?

2022-06-05 23.21.35 by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I'd vote clueless. But it kinda makes me want to hang one in my house just to see if I get any reactions.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5688 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Have you ever met swingers? Creepy AF

Set design did not do that by accident.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:

I have, you are not wrong!

Posts: 21 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: May 20, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It was definitely not cluelessness that led to that it was 100% intentional. It is naive to think that could have been an honest mistake. Long gone are the days when I give CBS or any of their loser competitors any benefit of the doubt.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21115 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Pineapple & red mulch are the 2 indicators I've heard discussed on the radio morning show I listen to on my commute.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15341 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:

We've recently learned from some of our more "broadminded" friends that the Upside Down Pineapple is a symbol for Swingers.

After hearing this I was watching an episode of "Ghosts" on CBS. "Ghosts" is a sitcom based in New England where a couple inherit a house only to find it full of Ghosts.

In the episode I was watching, they stop by a neighbor's house. I almost spit my drink out when I noticed what was on the wall. How racy of CBS? Or maybe how clueless?

The show is set in Upstate NY and it's fricken hilarious. Not woke or pushing somebody's agenda, just fun. It's a remake of a British show (much like The Office was) that I understand is a little darker and more Brit humor that might go right over American's heads.

The neighbors portrayed are these condescending douchy, uptight WASP types who DO NOT want the young couple in "their" area setting up a B&B. If you notice, that is the dude from Perfect Strangers!

I didn't catch that but it wouldn't surprise me they did that, the older couple are shown to be super uptight, so that is a sly way of saying that maybe they aren't behind closed doors.

Posts: 33824 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
A sprawling property at 380 South San Rafael Avenue in Pasadena, Calif. served as the backdrop for the exterior of the home in the pilot.

So based on that I'm not surprised there are all types of loons running around.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Years ago when I was into cruises there were a lot of rumors on the cruise forms about pineapples. People used to think that if someone had a picture or decoration of the pineapple on their cabin door that they were swingers. Others mentioned it was just part of their tropical decorations and they were confused when strangers were coming onto them. It seems to me that somehow regular upright pineapples got mixed up with upside down pineapples. My ex-wife, for some reason, thought that a pineapple would be sweeter if you left it on the counter upside down. Now I’m wondering if our friends could have gotten the wrong idea.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12440 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Pineapple & red mulch are the 2 indicators I've heard discussed on the radio morning show I listen to on my commute.

There's a swinger target in front of a big stack of red mulch in bags in my side yard, soooo ... theres' that.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15898 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

There's a swinger target in front of a big stack of red mulch in bags in my side yard, soooo ... theres' that.

LOL. I think we're discussing a different type of "Swinger" Richard!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Are there any episodes where the pineapple isn’t inverted? I’m wondering if maybe they are saying there are promiscuous ghosts in the house moving stuff around….

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21115 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
We know a couple who are into the lifestyle. I'll have to ask them about it next time I see them. They are not creepy at all. Never flirt with us or other folks in a public setting that I've ever seen. You'd never know it except they confided in us one time. They enjoyed our company on a social level and just wanted us to know before we perhaps heard it through the grapevine. Seems they have a group of like minded people and they keep it to that. Kind of how other folks who practice a alternative lifestyle should handle it.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8534 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Are there any episodes where the pineapple isn’t inverted? I’m wondering if maybe they are saying there are promiscuous ghosts in the house moving stuff around….

Not really sure Stick. This is their Neighbor's house and they have only been over there once or twice. I'll DEFINITELY keep my eyes open if the show is renewed for another season, and I hope it is.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Do they have garden gnomes? Pink lawn flamingos?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30693 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

Agreed, they knew what it was.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
It was definitely not cluelessness that led to that it was 100% intentional. It is naive to think that could have been an honest mistake. Long gone are the days when I give CBS or any of their loser competitors any benefit of the doubt.

I agree. Maybe not everyone on the set knows what it’s about but the one who had that picture placed certainly did. I think meticulous care is taken for every background in a tv show. There are lots of videos about “things you didn’t notice” about shows like Seinfeld and Psych. Psych has a recurring theme of a pineapple showing up in every episode although not upside down.

It makes me think about the old “Easter eggs” on Disney cartoons that purportedly showed private parts. It was usually put on as being unintentional and made up by viewers with perverse minds that would look at the cartoons frame by frame. What with all the things that has come up from Disney, I don’t think those were accidents.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19676 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
My friend just got back from a 7 day cruise. It was a normal family cruise, and not a swingers cruise. She said that 15-20% of the doors to the staterooms has upside down pineapples on them.

Thats a LOT of freaky people ready to swap wives and get down. Just a knock away....

Knock knock. Hey there, can I bang your wife? Sure, come on in!

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:

May be a hint of some future plot point.

Didn't even know this show existed until now, but "hiding" things in the set design that reveal plot points about the show or something about the characters is nothing new. An "Easter egg", if you will.

For example, Brooklyn 99 had a habit of arranging 3-ring binders in a rainbow pattern on bookshelves to signal that the captain was gay.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post