SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Crews painting Wisconsin water tower misspell name of town, become butt of endless jokes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crews painting Wisconsin water tower misspell name of town, become butt of endless jokes Login/Join 
posted
Love this kind of stuff....

PLOVER, Wis. — The residents of Plover, Wisconsin, were likely doing double-takes when they saw their newly painted water tower.

$50 billion mistakenly deposited into Louisiana family’s bank account
Earlier this week, the crews responsible for painting the tower made a spelling error — on both the stencil and the actual paint job — that resulted in the words “Village of Plvoer” being plastered across the tank for all to see.

While no residents will have to update their information to reflect that they now live in “Plvoer,” it seems like locals and even the fire department had some laughs over the misspelling.

The Plover Fire Department shared a photo of the tower (which, at the time, only had the letters “PLVO” on it) to their Facebook page, writing “Greetings from the Village Plvo Fire Department!”

“New paint job on the Plvoer water tower looks great,” joked one Twitter user.

“Can’t wait to move to Plvoer, Wisconsin this weekend!” said another.

At least one enterprising individual also started making shirts with the phrase “Lvoe Plvoer” in response, with proceeds going to a local Boys & Girls club in “Plvoer,” she said.

The blunder happened while the water tower was being repainted on Thursday, according to Village Administrator Dan Mahoney. Crews began painting over the mistake the same day, and were expected to finish Friday, he told the Stevens Point Journal.

Plover, meanwhile, is not the only Wisconsin municipality to have a mishap regarding a water tower, as Sussex had one in 2017 when workers painted over the “SUS” and left the rest of the tower — which read “SEX” until the following day.

LINK https://wgntv.com/news/crews-p...tt-of-endless-jokes/

Pics at site make it even funnier.

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the ad where the guy is painting the end zone of a football stadium and an onlooker asks him "Who are the Chefs?"

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Sounds Afrikaans....

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I love water tower art Smile Uniquely American.

Some years ago a disgruntled tanker was separated from 2nd Tanks at Camp Lejeune. Before he left he climbed the water tower near the tank ramp and painted his Lance Coconut chevrons and a message to 2nd Tanks in full view of the ramp. And then of course a fellow tanker took a pic of the water tower through the GAS (gunners auxiliary sight) of one of the tanks.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
Sounds Afrikaans....

More like Belarusian or Russian. They got strange names like Arsk, Dno, Pskov, Ukhta, and Zlynka.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31451 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Good friend of mine, when I was in the USAF, is from Arab Alabama. (ay-RAB)

He told me that is was supposed to be "Arad" (ay-RAD), after the first postmaster's son, but the U.S. Post Office spelled the name wrong on the authorization to establish the Arad post office, so the town adopted the name Arab, over time.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43902 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I have some sympathy for the water tower painters.

In engineering school I was invited to join an honorary fraternity. Inductees were give fraternity logo plaque, crudely cut from a 1/4” sheet of plywood. We had to sand it smooth, varnish it, paint its edges black, and letter in our last name in block letters.

I was concentrating so much on getting those letters evenly spaced that I left a letter out of my name. And didn’t discover my mistake until the next step. That was taking the plaque to each member, giving a little gift (candy, cigar, etc), and getting his signature on the plaque.

Of course, my error was soon discovered, to my great embarrassment. Frown

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8970 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Shot my first USPSA match in Arab, in a quarry.

/drift

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33824 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
That commercial was the first thing that came to mind. Alway check your painter's credentials for at least a GED before hiring.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4227 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
quote:

He told me that is was supposed to be "Arad" (ay-RAD), after the first postmaster's son, but the U.S. Post Office spelled the name wrong on the authorization to establish the Arad post office, so the town adopted the name Arab, over time.

Small world. I live in a small community that is next to Arab.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

There's a similar story about the name of Aloha, Oregon. It is said to have supposed to have been Aloah, but the PO messed it up to Aloha. It is still, however, pronounced like "Samoa", not like the Hawai'ian greeting.

Posts: 706 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post