SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Leather Steering Wheel covers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leather Steering Wheel covers Login/Join 
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted
My wife purchased a Mazda CX5 and we're both not happy with the steering wheel - the factory cover is simply too hard and thin. No better place than to solicit the forum's opinion on this subject. We're looking for something that is durable, soft and has good traction... ease of installation also a plus.

Amazon has tons of leather covers from various distributors and to be frank, most if not all look like crap. We don't mind paying for quality.

We appreciate any feedback SF members have regarding real world product experiences & recommendations.

Posts: 3371 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
https://wheelskins.com

I had one of the leather models on a vehicle for years and it held up well. Definitely would be my choice again.

I actually re-used it on a second vehicle and the manufacturer sent me a new needle and thread at no charge, so I could re-install it.

Posts: 1569 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Those that you have to stitch to the wheel seem to work the best.
The slip on ones inevitably slip & could be dangerous if you end up turning just the cover & not the wheel itself.

I've never done one, but have driven multiple cars with the stich on type & they're quite good.

A pricier option would be to get a wheel from a higher trim CX5, which may have a different 'leather' wrap to it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15977 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigWhup:
https://wheelskins.com

I had one of the leather models on a vehicle for years and it held up well. Definitely would be my choice again.

I actually re-used it on a second vehicle and the manufacturer sent me a new needle and thread at no charge, so I could re-install it.

Definitely this company

I've done it several times. You have to do it carefully and patiently and follow the instructions but they always come out nice. Wear a pair of thin leather gloves when pulling the lacing or you could cut or abrade your fingers.

Posts: 34536 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
To echo others, Wheelskins. I have one for my Miata and it is great. Not the easiest to install, patience is a virtue. But well worth it.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17153 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
May not be your "cup of tea," but this works very well for me.

Alwyn* men's driving gloves (black pittards napa leather with red fourchettes). New extra pair on hand. Smile

*Firm closed in 2015 with death of owner.

Bought my first pair in Oct 2003 not too long after buying my 2003 S2000. Bought the spare pair as new-old-stock in Sept 2018 after searching for some time after learning Alwyn's had closed.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16517 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Driving gloves are readily available and in many cases a cheaper alternative to steering wheel covers.

Pittards uses high-quality leather, such as their WR100 leather and aniline leather, which are known for their durability, natural softness, and fine grain look. These leathers are designed to be lightweight and washable, offering a luxurious feel and long-lasting performance.

Pittards gloves are often made with advanced leather technologies, such as Oil-Tac™, which enhances grip and durability in various conditions. This technology incorporates polymers into the leather structure, providing water and perspiration resistance while maintaining suppleness and comfort. The gloves are designed for a snug fit, which is particularly beneficial for activities like driving, where maintaining contact and control is crucial.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16517 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
Maybe try a local auto upholstery shop? I’ve had very good results (quality and price) on redoing Porsche seats.

Posts: 1994 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Those that you have to stitch to the wheel seem to work the best.

I would agree with this. The one I bought was from an auto store because the covering on my steering wheel was flaking off on my Maxima. Everything else was pristine. People were surprised at the quality of the wheel cover and didn't believe I laced it myself.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20019 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
I'm happy with the two silicone covers for my vehicles. No slip and good grip.

That said, the wheelskins mentioned, look classy and might be the way to go if handy with needle and lace.

Not sure the wheelskins or any leather cover would outlast the silicone covers, if that is a consideration. After all, the leather that vehicles come with will eventually be worn smooth or leather pores clogged up and become somewhat slippery. Some aftermarket covers could react the same over time. But product longevity is just a guess on my part and the post mentioning transfer of wheelskin from one vehicle to another is a good testament to that I suppose.

Posts: 4830 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post