SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When can a recovering alcoholic have another drink?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When can a recovering alcoholic have another drink? Login/Join 
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted
Never, am I wrong?
I have a family member who has serious addictive issues. They have been to rehab at least twice that I can recall. I believe they got tossed from the first one, and I think completed the second one. Drugs, booze, etc.
As a family, we waited with bated breath, hoping and praying we would get our wonderful family member back whole again and could put the nightmare behind us.
That was over a decade ago, and it’s been quite a roller coaster. Naturally, things haven’t gone quite as we hoped, but there seemed to be some effort towards sobriety.

This past weekend, another dear family member was married.

As I was walking past the recovering alcoholic at one point during the wedding, they started pouring themselves a glass of champagne- we were in a private room reserved for family. I stopped them and said, “Nope. Not in front me. Don’t do that.” There was a little snark and pushback, but they didn’t fill the glass.
Ending the weekend with a pizza goodbye for immediate family, the same family member walked into the house and stated “I’d like a glass of wine”, and sat themselves down. My mother was so surprised she didn’t know what to say (this is her own child, my sib) at first. When the request was reiterated, she just said no. And at that point, alcoholic got up and called a cab to take them home. I was beyond pissed. The bride even more so.
How could this have been handled better/differently? I’m at a loss as to what to do next. The emotional stir this created, of course, was part of what they wanted. Thanks for listening.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5354 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I think you did fine. Enabling an alcoholic is never recommended. Family members can be the worst saboteurs to an alcoholic's sobriety.

The alcoholic is in relapse. Sadly, there is nothing you can do other than not enabling him or her. It's quite obvious to me that they haven't yet hit bottom.

If you want help, find an Al-Anon meeting.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
That first drink leads to the next and so on till they hit the bottom again. Thumbs Up you did good. Bill Wilson once said "One Day at a Time", you helped that day. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
One's too many, ten's not enough.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34140 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
My father, grandfather and uncle were all alcoholics. My dad finally took the necessary actions to "get clean". So did my Grandfather.

Neither ever took a drink again, but this was after repeated "cures" over many years. My uncle went thru rehab several times, and it never lasted more than a few hours. He finally killed himself drinking canned heat down on skid row.

In short? A recovering alcoholic can never take that "just one" drink.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
"Never" is the correct answer.

It took three times for me to understand that. I've been 23 years without a drink and know full well that I can never go there again.

You did well. You can't "cure" them, there is no cure. You can refuse to enable them.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15274 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You handled it fine. Tough love, they can NEVER have another drink.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
One's too many, ten's not enough.
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:"Never" is the correct answer.
These guys have the correct answers.

You did fine, irreverent. If the family member in question is determined to drink s/he will find a way. You do not have to, you should not, enable her / him.

I had two alcoholics on my mother's side of the family. My grandfather: we learned of his death when the Bowery station of the Salvation Army called to notify us. He literally drank himself to death. His son, my mother's brother, got himself dried out and went on to become a moving force in AA. I lost touch with him for quite a while but as far as I know he stayed sober for the rest of his life.

I drank heavily in the past, particularly when I was in the Navy and for quite a few years after. I was never dependent on alcohol and as the years went by I gradually lost interest in drinking. I now have a beer or a glass of wine maybe once or twice a month, usually only one, and almost never more than two.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30733 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
You did good one drink for a recovering alcoholic is too much. That is why the term “recovering” is used and not “recovered”. I have have had relatives who went through treatment many times, sometimes forced (back when you could have them placed in detox) all of the times did not take until they decided for themselves enough was enough. Sadly there are some that never make that decision. They die from some related condition of alcohol. My step father died from a intestinal bleed out in a motel room in Iowa.

Alcoholism affects not only the alcoholic, but the family and friends close to that person. There are groups such as Al-non can help you understand the disease and how to handle the different situations.

You will not stop the behavior by saying no or causing a scene, if he wants a drink he will have one somewhere. But enabling by offering one or serving him should not be done.

Well done by you and your Mother. I will pray that he contacts his sponsor and helps himself.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4842 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Someone told me that typically an addict will fail seven (7) times before successfully conquering an addiction. They counsel addicts and assist with recovery. I have no reason not to believe it.

To answer your question, I believe never is correct.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, same as drug addiction. One drink, one snort, on the slippery slope again.

I saw a lot of alcoholism in my dad's family. One of my uncles went cold turkey in 1965, until his death in 1995 he stayed dry. Of all my uncles, he was my favorite. Never a "mean" drunk, just quiet. He stayed sober despite both his wife and both daughters passing before him.

Uncle Paul, you are always in my heart and my hat's off to you.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8139 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
The correct answer is never.

This alcoholic is already drinking again. They were just attempting to gain acceptance from the rest of the family about their drinking again.

They are already going down the relapse path and the only option for your family is to refuse to travel that path with them.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3855 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I knew a guy that was a recovering heroin addict. He had been clean for 15years, but said he had to fight the urge every day.

He told me about a bar that would offer drinks for AA sobriety coins. You'd get a free drink for every year of the coin. The bar would display them somewhere, I honestly can't remember. I hope that place has burned to the ground.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:

If you want help, find an Al-Anon meeting.

This is the answer.

Al Anon isn't short for Alcohol Anonymous, it's for family members. They explain how to to deal with the person and they are people dealing with the same problem you are.

Posts: 9547 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Another thing that can be considered besides not being an enabler is to not serve alcohol at family functions when the alcoholic is going to be present. Why put him/her in a position where everyone else is drinking?

I'm aware that this was at a wedding and I'm not trying to be critical.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:

He told me about a bar that would offer drinks for AA sobriety coins. You'd get a free drink for every year of the coin. The bar would display them somewhere, I honestly can't remember. I1 hope that place has burned to the ground.

There's a special place in Hell for those kinds of people. I hope.

Posts: 69 | Location: Northeast, OH | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
The main insight from the origination of AA in the late 1930s is this:
Alcoholism is four things; Permanent, Progressive, Patient, and Fatal.
I know many people personally who have proven each/all three of those things at one time or another. Myself included.
You did the correct thing, irreverent, by getting in his head and getting him to maybe "play the tape through."

Posts: 3810 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimg1960
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimg1960:
I am sober 8 years today. I can’t remember dates for crap except sep 10 2010. Over the drinking years I “tried” AA. Honestly I just met different alcoholics in various forms of denial and a few of them became drinking buddies. I was glad when the infamous “they” decided alcoholism was a disease, because it did give people an opportunity to try in patient rehab. However the same thing happens, you friend more people with your same problem and the cycle continues. Partially because 2 broken people can’t fix either 1.
I consider myself a friend of Bill W. But I never want to meet him or any other alcoholic in a setting were alcohol is present.
I had to give up most every friend I had up to sept 10. Because it was the only way for me. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not blaming anyone but myself. No one can ever force me to drink. But I know my mind and the excuses I could create in an instant to take that drink.
I am a very lucky person. I didn’t loose my family, my life, or cause anyone to lose theirs. I thank God for all of that.
To the op, I could have come up with 100 reasons to drink at a wedding. Your brother did the right thing for him. He told people that he knew would tell him no that he wanted a drink. Not knowing your brother I would guess he is not drinking at this time, or he wouldn’t have asked or listened to any of you.
He needs to find that 1 thing that he can go to in his mind for safety. Be it God, human, a quiet place to sit and relax. Only he knows...
The things I’ve written here I lived. They are the thoughts of a person that was broken in many ways.(still)

I have recently been thinking about champagne and then this thread arrived here. Thank you

Posts: 301 | Location: Tennessee  | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This is why losing weight is so very difficult. Tell an alcoholic he can still drink, but he needs to do so responsibly. This is what we tell people who arre trying to lose weight.

Tell a smoker he can still smoke, but only one cigarette a day. The drinker gets one cocktail per day.

Wouldn't work, would it? Nope. You'd have a near 100% failure rate. Complete abstinence is the only path to success.

But, the fat guy can't quit eating altogether, can he? Nope, so have just one cigarette err drink err just one slice of pizza. Roll Eyes

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107742 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Family needs till wash their hands of the person. Not allow that person to be anywhere near family events.
The best thing to do is make them pay the Full price of the addiction/lack of fully made decision to stay stopped and to go to meetings.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post