SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gift in honor of 1st grandchild?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gift in honor of 1st grandchild? Login/Join 
Picture of sgalczyn
posted
My oldest son and daughter-in-law are expecting their 1st child in July. My son and I share a luv of firearms and i want to gift him a suitable recognition of the event.
He always speaks of getting a 92 variant some day and if he can resist the temptation I'd luv to get one for him - the alternative is some form of 1911 (no 45ACP in his collection yet). He has numerous 9mm's CZ & clones, Sig 365 and a Sig 226 in 40-cal.

What say the collective in an up-to $1800 subject:
- Beretta 92 (thinking the LTT- full size)
- some form of Springfield Armory 1911

Appreciate the feedback

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4584 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I’ve not handled one of the LTT Berettas but have always read / heard good things about them.

I’m a 1911 guy, and at least some of the Dan Wesson line appears to fit in your target price-range; however, if he’s expressed an interest in the 92 (and if you can beat him to it haha), I’d say go that route.

Good on you and congrats to all on the coming arrival either way!

Edited to add: This will be your first grandchild? Prepare yourself: you are indeed about to arrive! Grandparenting is a blessing! Our three grandkids are with my wife and I as I type - loving it!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6695 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Does he own any rifles?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19247 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t mind a 92 myself, but a couple of thoughts.
1- would your daughter-in-law be offended? He gets the gift and she carries the baby for nine months? Might have to buy a set!
2- we started an IRA for our grandkids. Birthdays and Christmas money gets added to them.

Congrats on becoming a granddad! It’s a blessing!

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1131 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What I have done for each grandchild is 1) bought a hammer fired 9mm handgun; 2) had a knife made and 3) bought a Henry .22 rifle.

The items are stored in a safe until the right time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ulsterman,

Posts: 7022 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Does he own any rifles?

One Colt AR
Tavor in 5.56
Numerous AK variants

Marlin lever-action in 45-70

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4584 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
How about some custom grips for a pistol he does own with the kids initials, name or birthdate? Maybe some jewelry with the birthstone for the DIL?

Henry makes some beautiful rifles you can get engraved too.

That being said, an LTT Beretta is never a bad idea.. Awesome pistols.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10731 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I’m a sentimental fuck when it comes to dates and my kids so order something with a manufacturer date same as the birth month. Hell, depending on the supplier you might could get the same day.

I’ve looked for certain Sigs that match my children’s birthdate.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6348 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
I’m a sentimental fuck when it comes to dates and my kids so order something with a manufacturer date same as the birth month. Hell, depending on the supplier you might could get the same day.

I’ve looked for certain Sigs that match my children’s birthdate.

On that note, I believe you can special order Henry rifles with special serial numbers. At least you used to be able to, I know a retired police officer who got one with his badge number

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10731 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
How about a nice Marlin lever action 22 (model 39 I think?) that he could hand down to the grandchild when old enough?

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2272 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I gave a 1 oz gold coin to each of my nephews when they were born.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$400.00 worth of ammo
A Hamilton watch
And
A Leatherman wave

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54708 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post