SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How will Vietnam War veterans be regarded 20 years from now?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How will Vietnam War veterans be regarded 20 years from now? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
Will it be at all similar to how World War II veterans are regarded now?
Will the passing of the last one more than 20 years from now be a cause for remembrance or even comment?
Will it still be a war that many would prefer to forget—or more accurately, not think about or truly know about at all other than vague myth?

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47412 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
I appreciate your question, but I haven’t given a rat’s patootie for 50 years what people think about RVN veterans and I don’t see me changing my mind about it in 50 more my h less 20. I haven’t changed my mind on Hanoi Jane either, so fair’s fair.

Posts: 6403 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably about the same as Korean War veterans are regarded today.

Posts: 6627 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The way they are erasing our history & pushing hating America, I’m afraid the reality of the U.S. fighting men & women will be forgotten and avoided. Forgotten is the reality of enlisting, being drafted, all faithfully answering the call of our country. God Bless the U.S.A.!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
haven’t changed my mind on Hanoi Jane either, so fair’s fair.
Thought she was dead.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE] Thought she was dead.[/QUOTE]

Nope. She was supposed to give a $80K speech at Kent State in the spring for the anniversary of the students shot by the ONG. I was going to protest her, but it got cancelled due to the Kung Flu.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Regarded by who.??
Your answer affects the answer to your question.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
As far as i"m concerned Hanoi Jane should have been taken to the woodshed then tried as as a traitor and sentenced accordingly. ....W

when we came home were told not to travel in uniform but in civies because of the mindset of the country. Seattle/Denver/Houston/New Orleans Baton Rouge was spit on/ called baby killer/ warmonger/ Lot of us came back messed up after 1 tour and now are coming back from the "sand box deployment"with 5/6/7tours PTSD . I am afraid that this history will end up being forgotten or swept under the rug.......Let us not forget our history. both good and bad........... ....God Bless our troops Past/present/and Future............... drill sgt.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: drill sgt,

Posts: 2021 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For many young people it is a footnote in a history book, kind of like the Cuban missile crisis and the Cold War.

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can only speak for myself. They will and have and evermore been regarded very well.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
I can only speak for myself, I was born in 1965 and I am learning more about the War and our veterans from that war. I can say for me and my family, they will get the honor and reverence that they deserve.

Thank you to all our Vets and I am especially thankful for the Vietnam Vets that will able to persevere after returning home to the despicable manner in which they were treated.

Posts: 1360 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrmn50:
Regarded by who.??

Good question: Regarded by the people who regard other veterans.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47412 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
Probably about the same as Korean War veterans are regarded today.

Unfortunately, this. Most Americans never saw it as a justified war, or even a war unlike WWII. So they don't give the veterans the respect that they deserve.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Justified, not justified. People stepped up to answer the call. That is to be respected.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have always and will continue to regard all our veterans with the highest regard. Doesn’t matter to me,what war they served it. They willingly, and sometime not willingly, put their life on the line when our country called them to.

I won’t forget that.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11301 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
F@#%k what people think. We were called to serve and we did so to the best of our ability. I am proud of our service, and I am proud of my fellow warriors.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I'm personal friends with a good neighbor in my neighborhood, he was an Army Medic in Vietnam. For that I hold him in high regard. I was a kid when young men were being drafted during that time, and when I went to college and entered the workforce I met lots of Veterans that served in Vietnam. Some are permanently damaged physically, mentally, or both, and I hold all of them in high regard for fighting the enemy, surviving however they could while there, and surviving the shit coming back home. I've also met some Vietnam vets who are powerful, kind and caring human beings, but because of their experience in the ground war, if you fucked with them or their loved ones you could be signing up for something you would regret and you'd deserve it 110%. God bless all Veterans in the great Sigforum, especially those who have served in combat, or have been injured in the course of their non-combat duty. And if you had a great time or not so great time, god bless all of you as well. Without honorable military men and women, we could not keep our country as it stands.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always had a special spot in my heart for Vietnam vets. I grew up reading their stores and talking to a few. Great folks everyone of them. I caught a midtour flight home from Iraq that's first stop was in Texas. We got off the plane and the reception was so overwhelming most of us just stared at the floor and tried to give a thank you. To consider what happened to the Vietnam guys. Some of whom didn't even sign up for it. I can't even imagine it. It's no less than a Goddamn shame how they were treated.

Thank you, each one of you for fighting for us, you inspired the next generation. I wish there were proper words deserving of what you've done for us but I just don't have them.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My only apparent accomplishment in life is being banned from an ancient forum
posted Hide Post
After seeing the shit people are pulling with BLM now, I'm guessing war criminals and capitalist oppressors.

Posts: 166 | Location: Washington State | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Veterans are barely understood, recognized, and appreciated when they're fresh home from a war zone.

Time just makes things worse, in this regard, unfortunately.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post