SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How Cold is it Where You Are?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Cold is it Where You Are? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Talking about cold I have a question for the braintrust.
My Sister, who lives outside of Austin, TX called me this am asking for advise. It was 16 degrees there and two of her outside faucets were frozen. Their house is on a slab so there is no way to get to the pipes. Any suggestion from the hive on how to best protect their faucets? She didn’t have any hoses attached (thank God) and there is no shut off for that line and is worried going forward.

Thanks!

Ice tends to expand, pipes tend to split (Burst).
This can make a huge mess. There must be a way to access the pipes, crawl space, or something else.
At the very least, I’d find where the pipes feed from, drain the water out of the system and install a shutoff valve, maybe one with Sharkbite fittings.
Going forward, if there are no leaks, I see two choices.
1- make an access and install heat tape/ trace to the lines, add pipe insulation and buy a insulated cap for the spicket.
2- drain the line every time cold weather approaches.

Good luck.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1131 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Talking about cold I have a question for the braintrust.
My Sister, who lives outside of Austin, TX called me this am asking for advise. It was 16 degrees there and two of her outside faucets were frozen. Their house is on a slab so there is no way to get to the pipes. Any suggestion from the hive on how to best protect their faucets? She didn’t have any hoses attached (thank God) and there is no shut off for that line and is worried going forward.

Thanks!

Freeze Miser

Q

Posts: 26476 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A balmy 17 in my hood. But it’s a dry 17 Smile.

Posts: 3600 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good coating of ice on the car. Only the second time in 45 years. Reminds me why I left Wisconsin.

Posts: 17280 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any suggestion from the hive on how to best protect their faucets? She didn’t have any hoses attached (thank God) and there is no shut off for that line and is worried going forward.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Home depot sells faucet covers. Amazon has them as well. Frost free faucets are another option.

Posts: 17280 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Been waiting until today to jump into this thread. -6° this morning with a -20° wind chill. The forecast high is 19°. It's supposed to warm up tomorrow to a high of 36°.

Posts: 7274 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Was 18*F in N Houston when I got up at 7am
Currently showing 24*F near IAH
Drove in around 8am with no issues. Bit of ice on 1 overpass in almost 20 miles of driving.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15373 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
23 with a windchill of 13 this morning. Pretty nippy for Florida.

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Currently showing 20*F
High today is 47*
High tomorrow is 67*
Then back in the 40s on Friday Razz

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15373 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
A mere 4°F here in north Alabama this morning. No frozen pipes or anything; just can't get my car doors open!

Posts: 4604 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post