SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recomend me a good work glove
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recomend me a good work glove Login/Join 
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted
I have been buying my work gloves from Harbor Freight over the past fer years.
In the past they have been decent all leather gloves that would last for several months.
The last two pairs I have purchased have not lasted nearly as long as past ones have. They have either been wearing out at the finger tips or the stitching at the base of the thumb is coming undone.
So it is time to reevaluate and find something that will last hopefully a little longer.
I use them mainly for yard work and for setting up IDPA matches at our gun club.
I like an all leather glove. Back in the day when I was an active firefighter someone made a pig skin firefighter glove that seamed to last, however I do not need something that is insulated.
So what are your recommendations.

Thanks

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Churchill Glove Co. out of Centralia Washington. Made on the same sewing machines since the 1800s. I prefer the Goatskin Fencing Glove. I typically get 5 years out of them. Goatskin is denser than cow and is therefore tougher, and more abrasive resistant.

Churchill Gloves

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
If you keep them dry, Yellowstone Elkhide.

Posts: 5738 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Wells-Lamont.

I'm picky about gloves. They have to be just right for me or I'd just as soon wear nothing and take my chances. I need to protect my hands whilst still being able to feel and use my fingers. For me, this requires the thinner and softer deer skin. I also need a strap on the back to tighten them up and, obviously, I need them to fit. For some reason, most glove manufacturers make gloves for people who have pinkies that are 3" longer than any normal human being. Drives me crazy.

Wells Lamont has a style that works great for me. Thinner deer skin, they fit, tightener strap, and no long pinky. Given that they are the thinner softer deer skin, they won't last as long doing heavy work, but I'm OK with that at about $10 a pair. I just buy several pairs at a time and I'm good for a few years.

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Churchill Glove Co. out of Centralia Washington. Made on the same sewing machines since the 1800s. I prefer the Goatskin Fencing Glove. I typically get 5 years out of them. Goatskin is denser than cow and is therefore tougher, and more abrasive resistant.

^^^^^^^^^
They are great for yardwork. Do not have to worry about thorns piercing the glove. Very comfortable.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Oregon Glove in Salem, Oregon.
I've used elk/deer/pig/skin over the decades, but am totally impressed with their goat skin versions. They have both thin and thicker skin goat. Mine are mainly for fire wood wrangling and various yard chores. They fit like a second skin and wear like Superman's cape.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
These were recommended here a few years ago in a similar thread:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They have served me well - farm, yard, general purpose wear and they have held up well.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Mule is toughest. My muleskin days are over [moving 10,000 lbs of lumber 2x a day]; currently I've got goat and steer. And dress gloves, lambskin, handsewn in Italy.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
One of my local hardware stores carries these: West Chester Grain Cowhide Leather Driver Palm Patch Gloves

They fit my hands well. I'd say I get 2-3 years out of a pair, working around the yard.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I usually like goat skin. I go to my local Atwoods or Tractor Supply and try their gloves on. When I find a good fit in a tough yet comfortable leather I'll buy several pairs.

I have kind of large hands so I try to find a 2X size glove, and that's not very easy. That's especially why I buy several pairs at once.

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I'm using a variety of HyFlex gloves. They make them in a bunch of models for different uses.
Much less bulky than traditional leather work gloves which is important for many of my uses.
Look at their website to determine the model you want then do a search for the best price.

www.ansell.com/us/en/industrial/brands/hyflex

Posts: 9514 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're willing to try something other than leather try these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...pop_mob_b_asin_title

In my opinion way better than leather for dexterity, comfort and grip. I feel they protect as well too. I've had hawthorn go right through leather and these so I'm not losing anything there.

I'm not sure why XL is so much cheaper, but it happens to be the size I wear so at $40 for 12 pairs they're well worth it to me. I keep a pair in every tool bag and vehicle.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
most glove manufacturers make gloves for people who have pinkies that are 3" longer than any normal human being. Drives me crazy.

YES!

Do the people working in the factories that sew gloves have abnormally long pinkie fingers or what?

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnV:
video

In order:

Milwaukee
Endura
Ironclad
VGO
Wells Lamont
West Chester
Mechanix
Carhartt
Amazon Basic

Here's a link timestamped straight to the final chart/comparison: https://youtu.be/rsFca4h_7L0?t=921

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Kinco Buffalo hide gloves are nice ones to consider. But agree the very best material is goatskin but they invariably are more expensive.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for all the recommendations.
Looks like there are a lot of better gloves out there than I have been using.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
But agree the very best material is goatskin but they invariably are more expensive.

Kinco Pro #103 is a goatskin glove that's as little as $12.99 online. I bought several pair for <$10 when Runnings was closing them out and switching to Wells-Lamont. They run true to size and an XL still fits; unlike a lots of gloves that seem to be sized for the hands that are making them Wink

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
But agree the very best material is goatskin but they invariably are more expensive.

Kinco Pro #103 is a goatskin glove that's as little as $12.99 online.

Where are you finding them for that price?
(large size hopefully)

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post