SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dolby Digital Plus Decoder on A/V receiver issues
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dolby Digital Plus Decoder on A/V receiver issues Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Having some sound issues when watching Netflix or other streaming services (I have not found another media that uses the Dolby Digital Plus format).
I am presuming this is a format that seems to be optimized for streaming possibly?
I have a AmazonFire TV connected to my Pioneer VSX-1120 receiver. I have the receiver set to auto surround and when it goes Dolby Digital Plus I get a lot of electronic tingly static (best way I can describe it) during speech only portions if there is music or action it sounds great. I swapped the AmazonFire TV for a Roku for the same results.
When I manually choose another surround sound format the bad sound goes away but none of the formats seem to give the sound quality.
I have no issues with an BluRay or DVDs but I have also yet to find a disc that uses the Dolby Digital Plus format.

I am guessing that it is just my receiver that seems to have an issue with this format. Though that sucks because most of what I watch is Netflix or Amazon and they both use this format.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25674 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Fixed it, kind of.
Found deep down buried in the setting of the FireTV I switched the audio output from Dolby Digital Plus to just Dolby Digital.
Sounds the same with out the nasty tingly stuff. Not sure the difference between the two but I am guessing it will suffice.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25674 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post