SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Airless paint sprayers, please share your experiences & recommendations.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Airless paint sprayers, please share your experiences & recommendations. Login/Join 
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted
I figure a bunch of you will have experience with these machines, so...

I'm looking for something that won't break the bank, but is functional for a few things I need to get done.

I need to paint a shed. Nothing elaborate, just need easy coverage. Also, some interior walls at my house, and spraying some sealant on the logs at my cabin.

I believe I'd prefer one that siphons out of the paint can rather than an integrated tank.

Renting one doesn't seem to make sense for my needs because the projects will happen over a period of a few weeks.

Is there a sweet spot for function and price that you all have found.

Thanks in advance for sharing your opinions.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Following. I have a bunch of wood fence and deck needing stained

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Titan or Graco

Both have units in the $300 range that would be more than adequate for what you need

Pay attention to the products requirements to spray. Many of these units ship with a 100 mesh or fine screen in the gun and a 011 or 013 tip

Most premium products state to use a coarse or 60 mesh and 015-019 tip

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
I've had a Wagner 404 for about 25? years. Literally have hundreds of gallons of paint thru it. It never lets me down, will spray a layer as smooth as glass even with latex, (2500 psi). Maybe find a good used one.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Outdoor spraying is problematic due to overspray. Even on our huge liquid petroleum storage tanks we've almost universally switched to using rollers due to the frequency of overspray carrying into some expensive areas (e.g. employee parking lot).

Lowest winds are typically in the morning, but the dew point is highest in the morning. Your paint will have a dew point performance range for application so while you're waiting for the dew point to drop everything is getting hotter and thermals/winds are picking up. It's kind of a catch 22. Just saw that the OP is in Las Vegas so dew point is likely not an issue.

In other words, I'm urging rolling the shed. Assuming your cabin is remote then the spray will likely get in nooks and crannies better.

Pro Tip: wood sealant will kill landscaping better than Round Up so it's a great opportunity to kill a hated bush or two. As a teen, I was banned from spraying sealant on our deck due to waterproofing the landscaping with overspray. "Accidentally" killed the bush that made it hard to sneak out my bedroom window.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. The shed is up at the cabin too, so no concerns with overspray.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
When another pump is not handy, we always changed out the hose from the one used to paint to one previously used to spray stains or clear coatings.
Different gun and tip also. Unless you know how to flush out the pump and lines well, really well.

Rent what you need from a paint store to spray, stored pumps require some prep to use some time later. Roll the shed, prime with oil primer if bare wood, the job will last much longer.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Cayenne:
I've had a Wagner 404 for about 25? years. Literally have hundreds of gallons of paint thru it. It never lets me down, will spray a layer as smooth as glass even with latex, (2500 psi). Maybe find a good used one.

Longtime Wagner Spraytec user here too.
I got one of the better to middle units years ago - paid somewhere around $400~450 as I recall.
Works GREAT with Latex and low viscosity paints, never tried it with high viscosity stains as I would use my HVLP unit for that.
Now days I would look at GRACO units too.
Painted the outside of the house, inside and worked great with the extension pole for my 18 foot ceilings.
You do have to consider the size of the job and overspray.
Better served with med - large jobs due to cleanup and setup but actual paint time is dramatically reduced.
Don't buy too cheap of a unit - buy once - cry once.
Paint ON!

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a well known model HVLP. High Volume Low Production or some such. Tape off things you don't want painted and don't use it on windy days.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I have a Graco 395Pro. It’s been a great unit. I don’t know how the “prosumer” Graco’s at Home Depot compare to a genuine pro unit. I know they lack a main filter, so it would be a problem if your paint wasn’t strained well. Mine has a Rac V gun. My favorite all around tip is a 515. That’s a 10” pattern with a .015 orafice.

Check pawn shops. My brother and I bought our first pump at a pawn shop, a pro grade Spraytec. It is a great unit, and was a bargain. He still has it to this day.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
Get a well known model HVLP. High Volume Low Production or some such. Tape off things you don't want painted and don't use it on windy days.

HVLP struggles with high viscosity Latex paint but great for just about everything else.
Great for just about everything else though.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been using a 'commercial' graco since I started painting for money more than 50 years ago. reliable and decent parts availability. That's what I would buy. But for the kind of simple one time projects you describe I can't see buying anything but a few brushes and rollers.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Rent?

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a graco one, it shipped with a good latex spray “needle” tip doo-dad, I got a smaller numbered one for spraying a dozen indoor doors, the smaller tip makes it easier to spray a smaller area and delivers less paint.. I couldn’t be happier with it, totally paid for itself for spraying those doors, versus paying someone to do it.

I think it was the spray-pro.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
Rent?

From the OP:

“Renting one doesn't seem to make sense for my needs because the projects will happen over a period of a few weeks. “

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
I visited the local sprayer repair guy and picked up a great Graco unit that pulls paint out of a 5 gal bucket and have used it for my new house spraying primer and finish coat, my sons new house, again primer and finish on interior and exterior and all we needed to do was change the sprayer tip as the latex primer and finish eat up the tips quickly. Just watch your pattern and when it starts funky change the tip and keep going. I got my used Graco for 175 bucks and it is still going after 10 years.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post