SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Where does the rubber worn off our tires go??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where does the rubber worn off our tires go?? Login/Join 
No ethanol!
posted
I drive high mileage for work and have for years. Bought a lot of tires for me ....and the family. Does our brain trust know where the rubber worn off our tires ends up?

Do we breathe it? Is it in the bottom of every lake and river? Do aliens eat it? Why isn't it black everywhere by now?

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2020 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4730 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Mostly into dust that then settles into the soil, most near the roads, but finer stuff stays in the air and travels. Another portion washes off and goes into surface water.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"It's a well known fact it becomes dust that settles on the road, and is eaten by armadillos and possums at night. Then they are hit by cars, and slowly evaporate taking the tire dust with them."

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why do you think asphalt is black ?

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Dust in the wind dude........

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
China’s condoms are ‘too small’, says Zimbabwe’s health minister.

http://www.news.com.au/lifesty...e5500070bf28001f24b8

Posts: 12746 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I know that what comes off the tires of F1 race cars is like small BBs and when there are enough of them on the track, they tend to act like bearings. Not something a novice ought to be running at high speeds on. Eek

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
Mostly into dust that then settles into the soil, most near the roads, but finer stuff stays in the air and travels. Another portion washes off and goes into surface water.

All of which will destroy planet earth, then the universe. Maybe the environmentalists will seek to punish those who use tires just like they seek to punish those who use fossil fuels. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I worked a few nascar races when I was in college. If you have the great honor (or in my opinion the horrible luck) to be down by the track, you'll find out the tires go into your hair. I always made sure I wasn't facing the cars as they came around as I would get pelted by pieces of tire. I swear I would wash half a tire out of my hair at the end of the day.

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
they are in another dimension with all of the left socks I put in the dryer

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2448 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Now I have a headache. The researchers just told us they don't have a clue. I knew that all along. But they're paid to waste our tax money so they take a WAG (wild ass guess).

I live where right across the river is a BAC (big ass conveyor) that unloads barges full of coal and then puts it in piles and big round towers. Then trucks haul it away to be burned so it can share the dust other places. In the summer if we get a BAW (big ass wind) from the north/north west you can even see the evil black cloud coming at us. Because its moving its a charged particle which tends to land on little kids because they're moving so much. Scrub one sometime and most of the kid flows down the drain. Its why streams aren't clear like they used to be.

Black kids momma's are druggies so they don't bother and the kid gets even blacker, but no one notices. My guess is that if we scrubbed every kid in America, they'd weigh less. It would mean they'd move faster. Could be a plot by us old folks who get a headache from seeing them run around or ask stupid questions like where does tire rubber go.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This briefly touches on where the rubber goes, but it's too fascinating not to share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5GPWJPLcHg

Posts: 3947 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
This briefly touches on where the rubber goes, but it's too fascinating not to share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5GPWJPLcHg

That was interesting, however he never states how much platinum he actually got. Just shows the math on his notes.

So no one has real data on what happens to rubber, yet we all know it's out there somewhere because it is NOT on our tires. Same for the oil that drips out, the platinum not inside the converters, ect. Interstates sound like a toxic dump. With my 2 mil miles it's a wonder I'm still alive.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2020 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Had a science teacher once tell me. "If you want to solve the problem Exaggerate it"!

Well these guys really seem to hate their tires and will be glade to demonstrate. So in an accelerated time frame it looks like they go up in smoke? No?

If that does not interest you, than how about some Elvis!

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
It evidently settles on my cars and on their dashboards...

I can wash the cars on Monday and by Thursday there is a film of dust on hood and trunk.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
A related question: If there is a leak in the system, where does the vacuum go when it leaks out?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30743 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Vacuum is lighter than air, so it goes up and reaches space. That's why space is a vacuum.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It goes to rubber heaven along with your lost baseball glove and socks.

Posts: 17282 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lungs mostly

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54715 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post