SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mothers day smoke meat question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mothers day smoke meat question Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Oppsie. Sorry about that. Big Grin

This thread has me really wanting to try this.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve done dozens if not a hundred or more tri tip anll on coals. And I have a traeger. I still grill them on briquettes. I build a fire on one side and put the meat on opposite side. 15 minutes per starting our fat side up. Usually the first 15 minute cook I toss hickory or apple or cherry or mesquite chips on the coals and tighten the Weber lid down as tight at is will go and close the vent. Next 2 15 minute sessions leave a small 1/2 or less crack between kid and lip of kettle on the coal side and that’s enough to get the coals back to life and be prefect. You can go 10-12 minutes a side if you prefer it more rare. Let sit 10-20 mins and slice against grain. You get a very nice smoke ring and smoke flavor

All that said I’m 10 hours into a brisket on the traeger put it on at 8am before leaving for church. Wrapped in paper at 7 hours and just took off and it’s sitting in the cooler. Dinner in an hour !

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I get them from Costco. Straight out of the package and onto the grill. There's some fat on them, but not a lot.

This if I need 2 and have guests. Usually get one 2.5-3 pounds pre cook weight trimmed at my supermarket. Plenty for me wife and 2 teens

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Well it turned out perfectly. Put on the bbq at 475 degrees for a few mins. on each side. Looked beautiful and was nice and pinkish on the inside. Great flavor. I will do that again. But at $35 for the tri tip it won't be as often as I would like unfortunately. Thanks for the help guys.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19160 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
If anyone smokes a tri-tip, I would love to see pictures!!!!

Here is the latest product of my 16 hour sous vide, chill, then smoke to serving temp.

Posts: 6361 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Well it turned out perfectly. Put on the bbq at 475 degrees for a few mins. on each side. Looked beautiful and was nice and pinkish on the inside. Great flavor. I will do that again. But at $35 for the tri tip it won't be as often as I would like unfortunately. Thanks for the help guys.

Untrimmed tri-tips can be had around here for about $4/lb frequently and occasionally down to $3/lb. Trimmed is usually a dollar more. I typically do trimmed to save myself time, but if I need some more tallow I'll do untrimmed for a while.

Posts: 6361 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Wow. $3-$4 per pound is cheap. Around here, they're usually ~$7/pound.

But the OP's $35 for a tri-tip sounds pretty high, unless it was a 5 pounder! Here they're usually more like 2-3 pounds apiece, so would cost more like $15-$20.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post