SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mothers day smoke meat question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mothers day smoke meat question Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Going to smoke a Tri Tip Roast for the ladies on Mothers day.
Got our old Japanese Komando smoker figured out last try on Easter. Lined the bottom with some foil and poked smaller holes in it. I was able to control the temp way better.

So I have this nice Tri tip roast I want to smoke Never done any beef yet. So feel free to offer recipe's and methods to smoke. Do I need to smoke the night before mothers day?

Thanks guys and gals.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out any of the following on you tube. Meat Church, Chuds or Mad Scientist.

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I've cooked this both like a brisket and like a steak.
Both are excellent.
Cooked low and slow as brisket it will be more tender.
Takes more time.
Cooked like a steak (reverse sear) it has more beef flavor.
Smoke/cook to 125-130 then sear.
Salt, pepper, garlic powder is all you need.
Cut against the grain.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks, sounds pretty simple. Looks delicious.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
No need to smoke the night before. My tri-tips typically take about 1.5 to 2 hours, smoking at 225*. Then just let it rest for a bit before slicing against the grain. Around 2 hours of cooking time, including prep and rest.

That's one of the best parts of a tri-tip... the short duration. Especially compared to something like a brisket. As long as I have a tri-tip available and thawed, I can just decide on a whim a couple hours before dinner that I want tri-tip, and still make it happen. No need to plan ahead much.

I think tri-tip is about 90% as good as a brisket, for about 1/6th of the time and effort. I know it's probably "Texas BBQ Sacrilege", but I've pretty much stopped doing briskets altogether these days, and just do tri-tips when I want that style of smoked beef.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Both are excellent.
Takes more time.
Cut against the grain.

Agree with the above, mostly. I like to use some Meat Church rub, either the Original (black colored label) or the Honey Bacon BBQ if you want it a little sweeter.

For a normal tritip just smoke it straight until 135 internally if you don't want to sear. I often don't sear as my family doesn't really care for a bark/crust. Otherwise, pulling at few degrees earlier and searing works great.

Many people I know just throw it on there at 350-400 and again, just cook it until about 135. It'll be good. This method is perfectly acceptable for "I want to eat some beef in less than an hour".

HOWEVER, my new favorite way to cook a tritip is sous vide PLUS smoking. Dry and season the meat, cook in the sous vide at 132 for 16 hours. Remove from sous vide, take out of bag, and chill in the fridge at least a few hours or overnight. Then smoke it until it comes back up to 130 or so (a comfortable serving temperature). You'll end up with a perfectly cooked roast (thanks to the sous vide) but you'll still get a lot of smoke flavor. It'll typically take 2-3 hours to come to temp. This method will result a roast with an incredible tenderloin type tender texture. It is worth the extra time. Toss it in the water bath Friday evening, pull it the next day and toss it in the fridge, then smoke in time for Sunday lunch.

Posts: 6364 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Both are excellent.
Takes more time.
Cut against the grain.

Got turned onto tri tip when in Vegas. Cooked like a steak method and it's excellent.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Grill/smoke at 225F to desired internal temp (135ish). If you like extra flavor with a little peppery zip, rub this on prior to grilling:

3 tsp pepper
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp rosemary
cayenne to taste (~1/2 tsp)

As someone above mentioned, they do tend to cook a lot faster than expected, so keep an eye on it. You don't want it overdone.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I consider myself to be a backyard bbq badass. The most important advice is to not rush. I plan on my meat being done 1.5-2 hours before meal time. Invest in a cooler, peach paper, and towels. Your meat will stay hot. I promise, the key to good bbq is not rushing.

Posts: 662 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
No need to smoke the night before. My tri-tips typically take about 1.5 to 2 hours, smoking at 225*. Then just let it rest for a bit before slicing against the grain. Around 2 hours of cooking time, including prep and rest.

That's one of the best parts of a tri-tip... the short duration. Especially compared to something like a brisket. As long as I have a tri-tip available and thawed, I can just decide on a whim a couple hours before dinner that I want tri-tip, and still make it happen. No need to plan ahead much.

I think tri-tip is about 90% as good as a brisket, for about 1/6th of the time and effort. I know it's probably "Texas BBQ Sacrilege", but I've pretty much stopped doing briskets altogether these days, and just do tri-tips when I want that style of smoked beef.

Interesting. I have only done tri-tip as a roast. I haven’t smoked a brisket ever due to how dang long they take. I may try smoking a tri-tip sometime.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As others have said Low and slow results in a tender tri tip. Built in smoker thermometers are all over the place in regards to accuracy A good digital probe thermometer is key. The kind with 2 sensors one for inside smoker temp and one for internal meat temp. Allows you to monitor meat temp without opening smoker. Temp alarms and remote bluetooth are available. inexpensive. Tri tips and briskets are not as temperature forgiving as a boston butt.

Posts: 112 | Location: Deep south | Registered: August 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
https://amazingribs.com/?s=tri...p%20roast&gsc.page=1

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
If anyone smokes a tri-tip, I would love to see pictures!!!!

I will be making my mom beef short ribs, golden potatoes, and asparagus.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I will be doing it. Sounds like 225/250 degrees for threeish hours to maybe 135 internal temp.

Talk to me about the "rest" aspect. I will also be doing the high heat quick sear to finish it off.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:

I will be making my mom beef short ribs, golden potatoes, and asparagus.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
For those of you who have slow smoked tri-tips, do you start with a trimmed (no fat cap) or untrimmed tri-tip roast?

Addendum: okay I looked at MeatChurch's youtube vid and he uses a trimmed tri-tip. No fat cap. Got it! Big Grin
That said we have had great success smoking the cheaper yet chuck roast which came out tender and juicy on the Traeger.

https://barbecuefaq.com/best-cuts-of-beef-to-smoke/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I get them from Costco. Straight out of the package and onto the grill. There's some fat on them, but not a lot.

Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I would leave the fat on, and smoke it with that side up. Let all of the wonderful juices, and gravity, to do their magic.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
I would leave the fat on, and smoke it with that side up. Let all of the wonderful juices, and gravity, to do their magic.

yea, but you were a little late with that nugget Big Grin
Makes sense though.

Just came off the smoker, looks really good. Resting for a bit then it will go on a very hot bbq for a couple mins on each side before eating.