SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Russian nerve agent attack on former UK spy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Russian nerve agent attack on former UK spy Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
I haven’t seen any mention about the recent nerve agent attack on a former UK spy by the Russians. Link: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43415271

While I get why they are less than happy with him, this seems a tad aggressive as he came to the UK in a prisoner (spy) swap. This isn’t the first time it has happened as well. Last time they used polonium. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...Alexander_Litvinenko

For those that might know, is this common and/or have we done it too?

Posts: 12467 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
So some former spy was eating lunch with his kid and some 30 other people, and some assassin released a nerve agent in the pub?

That's pretty F'ed up.

Why not just have a guy pop him in the head while he was eating. Less incidental blowback.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why not just have a guy pop him in the head while he was eating. Less incidental blowback.

Because Putin intends for these killings to be an object lesson for his enemies.
He is after the blowback, it shows everyone how ruthless he is. He thinks that he is a modern day Stalin.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am very skeptical on this and would like to know what the ironclad evidence is that it is an official Russian government (or Putin) hit.

There are so many other discreet ways to kill someone you really want to kill, without invoking the world-condemning and messy method of using banned nerve agents. It sounds like something Kim Jong Un would do.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Maybe the CIA should take out Edward Snowden in Russia as retalliation.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I saw a post about this a day or two ago and couldn't find any good info about it online. just a couple "we will update this article later" type things. This article was updated 1 hour ago, but doesn't say when it happened, yet the attack happened March 4th? I searched it again today, and there's a whole lot more articles about it.

I guess I'm almost surprised that there's not more info, speculation, outrage, or general coverage on it?

One comment I saw was a response to asking how Putin could think this was acceptable. The response said because Putin knows no one in Europe has the balls to do shit about it.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
< snip >
For those that might know, is this common and/or have we done it too?

The general rule in governmental intelligence is you do not kill people, even if they were one your side, chose to betray you, and made it to the "other side" via escape or personnel exchange. Doing so, especially with means that only a nation-state can field, leads to the kinds of diplomatic repercussions Russia is seeing now. It is also counter-productive, as in the future the nation where the person lives may not be willing to deal with you in the future on personnel exchanges.

That said, there are many examples of an antagonized or betrayed country killing people on the "other side."

The best American example was the Phoenix Program during the Vietnam war.

Another failed effort was the CIA's multiple attempts to assassinate Fidel Castro. We also tried to whack Patrice Lumumba of Congo, and the Dominican dictator Rafael Trujillo.

Today, we use armed drones firing Hellfire missiles or small teams of CIA and/or military personnel to conduct "capture or kill" missions. Since 2001 there have been thousands of these missions.

In the espionage/intelligence world the Israels and Russians are the best and most prolific to retaliatory killings. The Israeli's
Operation "Wrath of God"targeted the terrorists from the 1972 Olympic attack. The Russians killed Georgi Markov using ricin, and Alexander Litvinenko with polonium. There is a long Wikipage on the Russians killings.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I recall reading where they went after his daughter as well

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I've stayed away from this one after getting flamed on a couple of occasions for mentioning what appeared to be terrorist-related subjects over here in UK that are of no concern [I'm advised] to Americans.

All I can tell you is that as of right now, 23 Russian dips are heading home, and 23 British dips are doing the same, and the UN has passed a censure on the Russian Federation for using chemical weapons, namely the ultra-rare RUSSIAN-invented binary nerve agent, Novichok, against a sovereign nation.

The first to the scene was a police sergeant, who is nearly as ill as the victim and his daughter are, and the centre of Salisbury is closed off while military personnel and techies from the UK Chemical Defence Centre Porton Down decontaminate the entire place.

A number of other people have been affected to a lesser degree.

The Russian UN ambassador has pooh-hooed the whole thing as a storm in the teacup, accusing the Brits of behaving like the Inspector LeStrade of Sherlock Holmes fame in their inept handling of the affair.

tac

Posts: 11327 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:
I am very skeptical on this and would like to know what the ironclad evidence is that it is an official Russian government (or Putin) hit.

From what I have read on the BBC over the last few days, it’s the nature of the nerve agent used. Allegedly it’s even more rare than what North Korea used last year in the assasination of Kim Jung Un’s 1/2 brother. According to the UK it’s so rare, that it would have to come from an advanced state. The evidence seems also clear that Russia took out another ex pat using Polonium which is highly radioactive and not something you could buy off of Amazon. It’s rather astonishing how blatant Putin is right now IMHO.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BB61,

The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
The class of agent used was exclusive to the Russian (then Soviet) chemical weapons program. No other nation developed similar agents, nor did the USSR distribute the agent to its allies. If the UK is correct on the agent used, then either the Russian government sanctioned its use, or the Russian government has lost control of a very advanced, very potent chemical weapon.

They didn't have to release gas into the pub. They could have simply applied the agent (in a very small, nearly invisible amount) to an item that would be touched by the target. Silverware, dishes, table, etc. Alternately, you could simply brush up against the target with an object contaminated with the agent. The agent is effective when absorbed through the skin. Cross contamination from the target then takes down the first responder.

Novichok class agents were designed to be undetectable by then current detection methods, effective in minute amounts, stable and safe until mixed, and to circumvent then current protective gear. Scary, scary stuff that is a generation beyond VX.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Given that the first responder was also placed in critical condition, I would think that a likely scenario would be that the victims ingested the agent somehow, were found non-responsive, and the first responder got dosed when attempting to perform CPR.

This is a VERY Russian style hit. They like poison. They like exotic poisons that send a message. Ricin, Polonium 210, and now this.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
I've stayed away from this one after getting flamed on a couple of occasions for mentioning what appeared to be terrorist-related subjects over here in UK that are of no concern [I'm advised] to Americans.
tac

That is short-sighted of certain members then. Terrorism in one western country impacts us all.

It’s not surprising the Russians deny everything, I would expect nothing else. It really seems like retaliation on a certain level is needed. Maybe not James Bond type but more than sending some boys and girls home and a naughty naughty comment from the government and its allies.

half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
The class of agent used was exclusive to the Russian (then Soviet) chemical weapons program. No other nation developed similar agents, nor did the USSR distribute the agent to its allies. If the UK is correct on the agent used, then either the Russian government sanctioned its use, or the Russian government has lost control of a very advanced, very potent chemical weapon.

They didn't have to release gas into the pub. They could have simply applied the agent (in a very small, nearly invisible amount) to an item that would be touched by the target. Silverware, dishes, table, etc. Alternately, you could simply brush up against the target with an object contaminated with the agent. The agent is effective when absorbed through the skin. Cross contamination from the target then takes down the first responder.

Novichok class agents were designed to be undetectable by then current detection methods, effective in minute amounts, stable and safe until mixed, and to circumvent then current protective gear. Scary, scary stuff that is a generation beyond VX.

Thanks for posting that. I signed a piece of paper that advised me of all the things that might go wrong with my life if I'd ever publicly mentioned what you just did.

tac

Posts: 11327 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

High shock value. Makes a statement to the world.

That’s why we’re talking about it and that’s why Putin used a chemical agent in the Ukraine and polonium against that other guy in the UK.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post