SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    No body ever did this for me....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No body ever did this for me.... Login/Join 
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted
The landlord is having the house reroofed today so made lunch for the workers. Pork shoulder smoked over night, bbq beans and a fresh crisp cole slaw.

Lots of smiling faces. As a construction worker you remember the generosity of a home owner.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Funny - I've done that twice, both times with the reaction you noted. Both were painter crews. I was out of town when our roof was done in TX or would have done then, too!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12442 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'm sure that's a treat. I think your personality just comes across with an offer like that. I wouldn't think of doing that myself.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19708 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
That looks delicious. My mom always made something for people doing work for us and I still try to as well.

My mom is also the lady that brings cold bottled water to the trash guys on really hot days.

Small acts of kindness mean so much to people, especially when they're not used to it.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I spent a summer in high school building swimming pools. I did above ground so we were at a different house every day. Only twice did the owners offer lunch. One dude grilled venison burgers for us that were absolutely amazing. I don’t remember what the other family did for food but I damn sure remember sitting at their picnic table with their cute daughter who was about my age. Wink

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15259 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I take workers drinks all the time, and I don't even own my place, it's an Apt.

When I was 9 y.o. , they were putting in a new , giant ( 48 inch. i.d.) sewer line , up my street.

I watched that track hoe guy for about three hours .

the next day mom called me in to the kitchen at about 6:00 a.m.

she had made a plate of 3 eggs, hash browns and bacon and a couple of slices of tomato.

she told me to take it to the track hoe guy , with a big cup of coffee.

you should have seen the 7 other workers heads spin Eek

I sat back up in my yard and waited for the work to begin.
all the men took a break while Kelly scarfed up the breakfast.

I was just getting ready to go find some trouble to get in too , when Kelly waved me over.

another fella lifted me up on to the tracks,
and kelly told me to stand behind his seat and watch.

He dug the big bucket in to the earth and swung it around, and flipped the dirt out,
then he had to put some gravel on the bottom so he swung the long arm around to get a load of gravel,

then he had them put a chain on the bucket with a bolt on the end .

he placed the bucket close to a concrete tube and the man stuck the bolt through a hole in the top of the cylinder, while another fella sun a giant washer and nut on the bolt.

to lift the giant tube in to the ditch

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54704 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
When I had the floors in my home re-done, I brought the guys breakfast and lunch. I'm not the type to be unusually generous to essentially strangers, but I want people working on/in my home to like me. I figure maybe it'll make them a little more likely be conscientious.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
We had a shitty contractor once that got his workers from Home Depot. During the middle of the summer, he didn't even give them water or food. He just dropped them off with basic instructions. We gave them cold water and food from McDonalds. That guy was a piece of shit.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Dad once told me to "Remember the little guys, because some day, that could be you." By "little", he was referring to the workers. He also told me to treat everyone like you would like to be treated. Both have served me well.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I always offer workers in my house/yard food and drinks, it's the polite thing to do.

Pro tip, from a contractor. Do it, you may save yourself $50. If a nice customer asks me to do something above what's agreed upon and it takes very little time then I don't charge, if they are rude then I will nickle and dime them.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20844 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I've bought a few pizzas and a few buckets of KFC chicken, but never cooked for them. That's a great gesture.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife does similar, less cooking, but more like "tipping" Most recently she gave the tree service crew, $10 apiece for lunch, working for the power company taking a tree down in the right of way adjacent to our house. They were working in a freezing rain, it was well appreciated.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1529 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've always provided a cooler with lots of ice and bottles of water and some pop. If they have their own gallons of water I'd bring them another cooler with ice so they could put their water in. If it was summer I'd also run the hose over so they could rinse off if they wanted to.

I never brought them lunch since I didn't know when they wanted to break (some guys don't - just eat as they can).

Providing a spread like that is really nice!

Shawn

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It always pays to provide those workers with drinks and chow.

Plus it is a nice thing to do. Those guys aren't usually overburdened with money.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Dad once told me to "Remember the little guys, because some day, that could be you." By "little", he was referring to the workers. He also told me to treat everyone like you would like to be treated. Both have served me well.

This a day long, we're likely to be generous tippers, when we eat out. I'm mindful that service work is a tough way to earn a living.
And at this point of our lives, caring for elderly parents, we have been more exposed to the "working poor", and have been able, we hope, to be more empathetic, and be responsive when some of my Mother in law's caregivers have been in a financial squeeze.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1529 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:

My dad said the same to me and my brothers however, the shortest of us is 6'6" Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14041 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
When I was starting out in the tree business, it was just me and my helper. We finished an all day job and were getting ready to make our hour long trip home through Washington D.C. traffic when the homeowner offers us dinner. He didn’t just fix us a plate, but asked us to join his family at their dinner table. That was 27 years ago.

When I was growing up, my mom would always make lunch and offer drinks to people that worked around our house.

Posts: 3233 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sent a smoked pork butt home with one of the guys doing the tile during our remodel. He was to share with the crew as they were all friends.
He kept it all for himself.

Posts: 1972 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have had clients bring meals occasionally in my business.

Posts: 28006 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, a meal / pizza / sodas / beer (when the job is finished) can go a long way.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post