SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question insulin users
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question insulin users Login/Join 
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted
For those who use pen insulin, if your last available dose in the pen is not enough for your disage, do just throw it away and open a fresh pen? Or, do you inject the remaining insulin, open up a new one and inject the remaining additional units? How about the effectiveness of such approach? I have never asked that question to my doc. I will ask her on my next visit. Just wondering how you are doing it.

These past few weeks, I have been wasting insufficient remaining insulin from the current pen. Like today, I still have 32 units left in the pen. My dosage is 56 units. I threw away that pen and opened a new one (which I think is wasteful). And insulin is not cheap.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
My daughter usually uses the last of the vial, then makes up the rest with the new one.
Yes, it is expensive.

Posts: 6308 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
I don’t mind mixing insulin if I am using “vial”. But Im using pen, which also meant I have to poke myself 2x to inject the “catch up” dose. It’s not fun poking myself twice. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
My daughter usually uses the last of the vial, then makes up the rest with the new one.
Yes, it is expensive.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stick myself twice. Insulin costs too much to justify the minor inconvenience.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
If it is less than 10 units I just throw my wife's away and get her another one.
But we have really good insurance.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
Two sticks here also

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
2 sticks here also, unless it's trivial amount, like 5iu

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellows. For those doing 2 sticks, same injection site? Or different sites?

It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
I've been type 1 for 34 years. Only used the pen insulin for a few years before changing to a pump 8+ years ago.
But when I used the pen, I would use the remaining insulin first unless it had 5 or 6 units or less, then open a new pen.
Always, and I cannot stress this enough, always use a different injection site. You want to avoid the build up of scar tissue for injection sites as long as possible.
Don't get me wrong, you can be close (maybe an inch or two away), just not the same place.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
For those doing 2 sticks, same injection site? Or different sites?

after 30 years, I _still_ have lots of good injection sites left...but twice in a row is just often too tender to have to endure for no good reason.

I pick another zone on the other side & complete the dose with a new pen. AND new point.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
Ill finish the first and go to the 2nd to complete the dose. If the pen is less than 28 days and has been refridgerated, I dont think twice. If the initial pen has 3 units or so left, I ding it and go fresh. I always swap injection spots. ie: left thigh to right thigh. my .02.

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5302 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple more insulin pen shots a day does not phase me, and I try to provide a little room between the injections, so I just usually use all the insulin in a pen. My daily regimen includes several small injections. IMHO you must first determine what your best regimen should be, and then tailor that regimen to fit a particular day of varying activity and meals. I test, and adjust my amount of insulin before each meal, and before bed.

If the pen needles are painful, go down in gauge - I use a 31 gauge, the BD micro, and I barely notice any discomfort, and after 40+ years I find practically zero scaring at the injection sites.

Posts: 143 | Location: NoVA | Registered: August 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
If only slightly lower than the dose I want I just stick once... if significantly lower amount in pen then I stick twice.

I get my insulin from the VA, but don't like to waste it.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Two sticks, waste not-want not.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Type 2 here. I usually finish the dose with another pen. If the initial pen is a few units less than the dose, I usually just say it's enough and will use a new pen for the next injection.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
I went ahead and retrieved the last pen with 32 units remaining from my to be discarded med container. This is the first time injected 2x to complete my current dosage of 56 units. Injecting twice was not bad at all. I can’t believe I wasted those other pens.