SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Friday feel good news: Female Univ of Chicago student pulled a Robert McCall on would be robber
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Friday feel good news: Female Univ of Chicago student pulled a Robert McCall on would be robber Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
Even better, she took out the mag and tossed it in the bush. Lol.

Please, excuse the beta who sat, watched the whole show then ran off. Roll Eyes

https://www.thegatewaypundit.c...robber-daring-phone/

By Jim Hᴏft | Apr. 19, 2024 8:45 pm

A University of Chicago student managed to fend off an armed robber, seizing his weapon during a tense confrontation. The incident occurred on a Wednesday, as a spree of robberies targeted students near the bustling campus area.

Madelyn, a 21-year-old student, found herself face-to-face with a masked assailant determined to steal her phone.

“I was just walking home from class and I see a man in a mask approach me,” Maddi told abc7. “And he kind of comes towards me and I think to myself, ‘just keep walking,’ but then we have an altercation.”

The ordeal, captured by a nearby surveillance camera, shows Madelyn grappling with the suspect, ultimately wresting the gun from his grasp.

“In the tussle, I was able to take the magazine out of his gun, and I tossed it into a bush. But at the moment, I didn’t know what I was grabbing,” Maddi told NBC.

“I think fight definitely kicked in, but I’m in no way advocating of resisting armed robbery,” Maddi said. “I think it was really not the right decision looking back on it… It all happened so quickly. Definitely just give the phone away. I don’t think the altercation was the best solution.”

This wasn’t an isolated incident; moments earlier, two students were robbed by four armed suspects driving a black Infiniti car.

The duo complied with the robbers’ demands and were unharmed as the assailants took off in their vehicle. Five minutes later, two armed men targeted Maddi as she walked off-campus.

Fortunately, there were no injuries reported. The Chicago Police Department is currently investigating the incident.

Maddi praised the response of the campus and police, emphasizing the importance of capturing the attackers, “I usually feel safe walking on campus, but finding the people who did this attack is crucial because they will do it again.”

https://twitter.com/i/status/1781363811527819517

Robert McCall Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Good for her.

Who the heck is the little puss... that just sits on the ground and watches a women get attacked and then runs off. Doesn't help or even check that she's ok.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16403 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Her face shows she's got some meat on her bones. Good for her for not being a frail little thing.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19675 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
Good for her.

Who the heck is the little puss... that just sits on the ground and watches a women get attacked and then runs off. Doesn't help or even check that she's ok.

What a little bitch. Be a got damn man and help this lady out. The pussification of our great country continues. SMH

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12642 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Armed robbery in broad daylight, every parents’ dream school for their kids. Roll Eyes They’re off the list.

Posts: 10961 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Not at all surprising...I've walked from the Museum of Industry to the U. of Chicago campus. Easily accessible from the train and lots of quick access to north/southbound escape routes. The campus also is quite open/blended into the surrounding neighborhood making boundaries hard to secure.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good girl! Now the police have a potential source for fingerprints of the perp. And yes, the guy could have at least stood up and called campus police for her...but at least he cleared a path of retreat from the danger.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
I went to grad school at U. Of C. (Biz School). The campus is surrounded by very rough neighborhoods on three sides… and Lake Michigan on the fourth.

Back in my day (mid ‘80s), we had the world’s largest university police force, and for good reason.

The intersection where this happened is in the heart of Hyde Park, the main neighborhood of the University. So she wasn’t walking through any sketchy section. The poster above is entirely correct, thugs can strike on campus and easily leave the campus jurisdiction. We had police call boxes in the middle of each block. Not sure about today as cell phones would be quicker and easier.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1602 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:

First thing I thought. What a bitch.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
She's lucky he wasn't a killer.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39762 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
She's lucky he wasn't a killer.

Good grief, yes!

Most robbers in situations like that aren’t planning to kill anyone, but what if, just like her, he had acted without much thought to having his gun grabbed and fired? How many incidents have there been in which a victim “bravely” stood up to an attacker with, “I’m not afraid of you and your gun,” “Oh, yeah?” Bang!

Yes, it’s gratifying sit far removed from the danger to see someone defend themselves when it’s successful, but what would we be saying if the image wasn’t of her running away but lying dead on the ground? Would she be ridiculed as a clueless, entitled “Karen” who didn’t have enough sense to understand the situation and had grown up being raised to believe that nothing bad could ever happen to her?

I’m just as happy as anyone else about how it turned out, but things could have been much different.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
The little puss wasn't running away in fear, he was like a pulling guard in football clearing a path for the running back to run thru. Wink And if you will buy that, I have some swamp land for sale that I'd like to show you.

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1688 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
It's been said that evil triumphs when good men do nothing, or some variation of such. Evil almost triumphed in this case, because two, yes two, soy boys ran off. But, it didn't because a good woman did something. Sure, lucky, could have and what if, whatever. She even admitted that it was knee-jerk reaction. Bottom line is, thug didn't get shit.

Q

Posts: 26417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good for her.

I agree on all counts.Some "men" are such in name only.

Posts: 6891 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While it doesn't look like it, the young man may have some severe anti-social skills or other limitations. But my gut tells me was simply tuned out and not ready to respond and pounce.

P229

Posts: 3832 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
A few days ago I watched the entire video on the local Chicago news.
After watching the video I thought they missed the REAL story, that being the spinless cream puff that is sitting on the lawn watching. People are robbed all the time in Chicago, especially in that area of town, being robbed is a minor news event around here.
Being a spinless coward should be pointed out.
In the video I watched the PUSSY siting on the grass watching the entire assault, at one point he appears to try and hide his face from the robber and making sure his all important cell phone is safe just before running for the hills or to hide behind his Mothers skirt.Apparently the robbers were simultaneously robbing somebody else across the street.
He, or what ever he identifies as, has a big load of Karma headed his way.The other "males" that stood around were not any better.

Here is a more in depth report with the full video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acU_T-ZvE7A

Posts: 4631 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
While it doesn't look like it, the young man may have some severe anti-social skills or other limitations. But my gut tells me was simply tuned out and not ready to respond and pounce.

Nah, he was just being a standard issue pussy, a subhuman shitstain. And he didn't give a shit except for himself and his precious cell phone. His behavior is kind of similar, just as despicable, as the guys standing around video recording the dude on fire in Manhattan. Or people standing around recording a girl getting the life beaten out of her.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16708 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Given that idiot in Manhattan set himself on fire and not an accident, I would have no qualms in not risking my skin to do anything for him. If that's despicable, so be it.

That said there are and have been situations and circumstances where immediate aid / assistance is warranted.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16225 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ Not despicable, Bob.

Q

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Armed robbery in broad daylight, every parents’ dream school for their kids. Roll Eyes They’re off the list.

Sorry for quoting myself, but guess where my daughter’s high school’s Model UN Club decided to go next year? It wasn’t bad enough they went to NYU this year and only one of the students had his wallet pickpocketed. Roll Eyes

Posts: 10961 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post