SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Clamp-on Amp Meter -- Recommendations?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clamp-on Amp Meter -- Recommendations? Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted
It's been a while since I've tried to make any headway on furthering my power distribution upgrade. Some may recall when I bought my house that I added a sub-panel and migrated a lot of things to it in order to abandon the edge distribution from my main panel. I'd like to get to the point where the main panel replacement would be easier and then hire someone to get it done. I am not comfortable with my main panel as -- others have pointed out -- it does not have a single location shut off.

Anyway, I want to make sure I'm nowhere near overloading my new sub panel before I migrate the 20A 22v oven. My question is, should I pony up for a higher end meter like a Fluke, or are the ones on Amazon at Harbor Freight accurate enough for my purposes. I assume a +/1 1A is probably even ok in this scenario. The possibility to catch induction draw/load/spike (whatever it's called) when the AC is starting etc is pretty compelling I suppose.

Planning to measure on the big feed wires (if I recall correctly, I used #4 wire).

Posts: 11400 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
#4 = 90a, it should be #3 Cu or #1 Al.

I doubt you need a meter, but any old cheap one will do this is a relatively inexpensive, but good quality one. If you will only use once, buy the cheapest you can find at HD or Lowe's.

You are not likely overloading the panel from a glance. It looks like you have two 2P 30a circuits and the rest are all single pole, very unlikely to ever overload it under normal circumstances.

PS get rid of the Homeline breaker and put a GE in there.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20861 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

Is there something wrong with using Homeline, or is it just not appropriate to use the Homeline breaker in a GE panel? I have always leaned towards using Schneider Electric products, although I've usually used QO panels, mostly because Dad always did. Is GE better now?

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8222 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Is there something wrong with using Homeline, or is it just not appropriate to use the Homeline breaker in a GE panel? I have always leaned towards using Schneider Electric products, although I've usually used QO panels, mostly because Dad always did. Is GE better now?

I was told by the electrical contractor to use the brand breaker for the brand box. It shouldn't cause any issues if you don't but insurance companies can/will use it to refute a claim in the event something goes wrong.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3357 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
My memory had faded. It is indeed #2 copper.

The contractor for my AC installed that 30A. It's a Homelite? Is it this one? I'll get a 30A GE and replace it for sure! Thanks! Both of the two poles are my two AC systems.

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that’s a Square D Homeline breaker.

As for a clamp on meter, Harbor freight is fine for occasional use, but Fluke if you plan on using it a lot. This is the one I have: https://www.amazon.com/Fluke-3...ds=fluke+clamp+meter

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3982 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

UL does not test breakers to use in other manufacturers panels. They will work, but have never been tested to. All equipment used must be listed for the use you are using it for, so in addition to not having been tested to work together it's also a code violation.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20861 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Hi Jesse, is the breaker I just put up in the pic the one you are referring to? That should be changed to GE?

posted Hide Post
The breaker in question is the one in the picture with the square d logo and HOM on the label. As was stated above the UL listing of the panel (and ultimately your safety) is dependent on using the correct breakers for the panel. It's a pia for some older panels but oddly most are still available.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11021 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post