SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Breath Alcohol Ignition Interlock Device's, do they offer any thing?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Breath Alcohol Ignition Interlock Device's, do they offer any thing? Login/Join 
posted
http://www.cyberdriveillinois....nts/BAIID/baiid.html

do they stop people from driving drunk?

are they any good for anything?
what ( if anything ) are they good for?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54685 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, the car won't start if they blow over the legal limit into the device. It helps keep career alcoholics from driving.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
It only keeps alcoholics from driving vehicles equipped with such devices. My brother got a DUI and had to put it on his POV but not his wife's car or his work truck. I think that any vehicle the person has access to should be included. There are too many idiots on the road as it is, we don't need drunken idiots running around too.

Posts: 2834 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think there is some data out there saying they reduce recidivism, but I can't quote it

Posts: 5166 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
They’ll keep your vehicle from being operated. The other factor is a defendant is generally ordered to have them installed on any vehicle he/she operates not just ones they own. If they disobey the court’s order, they get a new charge and face the possibility of probation being revoked on the earlier charge. It’s just one tool of many to help the defendant and protect society.

Posts: 12473 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I knew a guy who was a first time offender. His attorney worked out a great deal for him with the judge, but his probationary period was pretty strict.

He carried a hand held unit that would randomly sound an alarm. He then had a few minutes to blow into the device. While doing so it took his photo and sent that along with the results back to a monitoring agency.

It's exactly what he needed.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15727 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Yes, the car won't start if they blow over the legal limit into the device. It helps keep career alcoholics from driving.
Yeah, ummm, not true for the vast majority of the devices out there.

The bulk of them interlock at any reading above .02, which is well below the legal limit in most locales. But yes, it does keep "career" drunks from driving a particular vehicle.

As I understand it, there are some trucking companies that use them as a "voluntary" reduction to drunk driving to reduce insurance costs as well.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6220 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen them be a positive to young folks that screwed up. Help them keep a way to get back and forth to work to keep a job.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is used along with other probation restrictions in Oregon. A first time offender get's to drive to work with a device in there car. Ticket and no driving if caught driving without the device, I believe. It's a pain in the ass and a needed wake up call for many. From what I have seen it shoves the offender on the strait and narrow, seems to work. There are those that will continue to break the law, they just need a jail cell to keep from getting another DUI, nothing else works for them. But for the majority of DUI first time offenders I believe it helps.

Posts: 438 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I used to install them for the state of Ohio back in the late 90s. The amount of hair-brained schemes that I would hear the drunks come up with was laughable. "I'll just have someone else blow into it", etc. Even had a few guys try to bribe me. If you failed the rolling random test, it would definitely shut your car down whilst moving!

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
The ones in Colorado take a picture of the person who blows into the device.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31430 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
I knew a guy who was a first time offender. His attorney worked out a great deal for him with the judge, but his probationary period was pretty strict.

He carried a hand held unit that would randomly sound an alarm. He then had a few minutes to blow into the device. While doing so it took his photo and sent that along with the results back to a monitoring agency.

^^^^^^^^^
The unit that does this which I’m familiar with is the Soberlink SL2. It is a great tool but it doesn’t stop driving like an interlock device.

Posts: 12473 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I've known exactly three people who had one of those installed by court order, so my sample size is quite small.

But in all three cases I saw it contribute to successfully limiting their driving, substantially, and have a generally positive effect by keeping them off the roads as well as indirectly help them get their shit together in a broad sense because each instance lasted months.

They were average people in all three cases, ones who went through a bad/rough phase rather than hardheaded notorious fuckups. Also, each had parents or significant others that watched them hawkishky throughout, and wouldn't let them borrow other vehicles.

All in all, in these three cases. I'd say it was good and worked, but it was definitely the result of several factors - half or more of which were outside the device itself or the courts. And without outside help, I can't say whether it would have any positive effect at all.

ymmv

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is effective with an early stage alcoholic who also participates in some sort of treatment program. It is not a simple fix for addiction. Professionals often are subject to five years of random alcohol/drug tests to ensure compliance. DOT regulations require random alcohol and drug testing to maintain a CDL. If you test positive you must then be evaluated and likely are subject to five years of alcohol/drug testing, after completed a treatment program.

Posts: 17263 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They stopped Kevin A Landau, the world's worst lawyer, from every being able to have a driver's license again...

www.kevinalandau.com

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is what I need for sugar.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17471 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
It only keeps alcoholics from driving vehicles equipped with such devices. My brother got a DUI and had to put it on his POV but not his wife's car or his work truck. I think that any vehicle the person has access to should be included. There are too many idiots on the road as it is, we don't need drunken idiots running around too.

In Iowa, if you're required to have an ignition interlock device, you're required to have it anytime you're driving. So, if you get it in your own car, but start driving your wife's, it better have one, too.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 814 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Why is it assumed that anyone who gets a DWI is an alcoholic?

Posts: 20125 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I like that!first offense, one year sober. Second, jail.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1131 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
A brother-in-law of mine had several DUIs. One was installed on his car.

He had his 4-5 year old daughter blow into it for him...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1899 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post