SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do you clean shower glass with?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you clean shower glass with? Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted
I took the shower door out on Friday and have been cleaning the shower and door. I am having a very hard time trying to get the soap stains off the glass. Any suggestions?

Posts: 5627 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Simple Green

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
This stuff. Takes soap residue right off.

Posts: 20125 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Once you get it clean, get in the habit of taking a towel and quickly wiping-down the glass after each shower. It will save you the trouble, going forward.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Fabric softener dryer sheets right after showering. And no, I’m not gay for knowing that!!!

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Due to the hard water we have, I use Lime Away while I’m in the shower…spray it on, rub it around for a minute, rinse. And then I take my shower. I also use a squeegee after the shower to avoid spots.

Mrs mike doesn’t.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11302 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
I keep a cheap squeegee from ikea in my shower for this. 20 seconds max to clear.

Posts: 1354 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As an addition to above ideas, a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works great!

We also got into the habit of using a squeegee after a shower. We got the idea from my brother when we stayed at his place. We thought he was nuts for asking us to do it, but it does work. Cleaning up the shower and soap scum went from a frequent ordeal (we have hard, lots of mineral's water)to a once every few months clean up.

Tony

Posts: 316 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
Clean Shower spray after each shower. It takes a while to get all the scum gone but once it's gone it stays that way

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Meguiar's Cleaner Wax, item # 1216. MUST be the 1216 number. Available at any auto parts store or wallymart, etc.

Works great. The cleaner part just took off all the minerals and whatever it was off and the wax provides a nice clean shine.

My walk in shower was demolished and rebuilt due to a leak last year. Shower glass door and side glass was fine but I wanted a newer look. A replacement glass door and side glass was almost $2,500 and the lead time was crazy long, so decided to reuse the one I had.

Had a terrible time getting it clean, used all kinds of chemicals and old wives tales. Lime away, CLR, ammonia, vinegar, all kinds of spray cleaners, janitorial supply store stuff, and more, no luck. Finally I was told to use the Meguiars and it worked perfectly well, and as a bonus the water just flows off so easy and well.

I highly recommend this, just make sure it's the Meguiars #1216.

Posts: 11860 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Prevention is the best step. From day 1, I squeegeed and used on of those daily shower cleaners. I recently switched to a weekly spray with a product called wet n forget. Once or twice a year I hit it with automotive glass cleaner (I hate that streaky ammonia based household glass cleaner such as Windex).

Automotive detailing enthusiasts also use spray polymer or ceramic sealants on their glass showers. Everything rolls right off the surface. I've been considering giving it a good cleaning with the automotive glass cleaner and then applying TW Hybrid Solutions.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23310 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
This stuff. Takes soap residue right off.

That is the best product I have ever found. Nice citrus smell and it does a beautiful job.

Posts: 17913 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When we bought our house the shower doors were so dirty, I took them off, put them on sawhorses
on the driveway and scrubbed them with brillo pads. I thought it might scratch them up,but it didn't. Now we squeegee after every shower and they only need an occasional cleaning with
scrubbing bubbles.

Posts: 965 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
We have hard water and use a squeegee too. In spite of that we got a build up of CaCO3 around the edges of the door and glass. Razor blade. My wife bought a towelette of some kind at one of those home shows. After I cleaned up the glass with the razor, we now squeegee and wipe around the frames with the cloth. Stays good.

Posts: 13300 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Once cleaned, as others have stated, squeegee after every shower. I've been in this house since 2008 and my glass shower door is spotless. Molly Maid cleans it with something once a month, but it's not "dirty" or spotted before they do whatever they do.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep, I also use a squeegee. Then I only have to hit it with Scrubbing Bubbles or Simple Green once a year or so.

Posts: 32546 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quirky Lurker
posted Hide Post
Buy a spray bottle and mix Dawn dish soap and white vinegar in 50/50 mix. Spray on and let sit for 5 minutes then rinse and wipe down. Ive tried everything under the sun, and this is both the best and easiest with no scrubbing required.

Posts: 870 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apf383:
Fabric softener dryer sheets right after showering. And no, I’m not gay for knowing that!!!

Well, your soft, dry and smell pretty, but that shower glass needs still needs attention...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43918 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beanhead:
I keep a cheap squeegee from ikea in my shower for this. 20 seconds max to clear.

Ikea squeegee is the bee's knees.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As for prevention we have had good results using a squeegee after every shower and a weekly application of Wet n Forget shower cleaner.

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post