SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kohler kitchen faucet restrictor removal **UPDATE**
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kohler kitchen faucet restrictor removal **UPDATE** Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted
**EDIT** In my attempt to update this thread, I deleted my original post about being unable to access the flow restrictor on a Kohler goose neck faucet with pull out spray head, oops.

Anyway --

I got a cheap replacement head, there are fitting problems that I'll need to sort out but it works.

Here's a revelation. These low flow heads address water waste, have I got that right?
Well, with much improved flow now, full on can be too much, splashing all over.

The solution? Use LESS than full on for most tasks, blast as needed. So I, the end user, am using the same or less water than I did with the low flow head, I've made my contribution to irresponsible profligate waste, I AM a great global citizen now. And one with flow as needed. Thank me. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ripley,

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8357 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it one of the “touch” to turn on faucets?

I deleted the auto flow regulator box on mine

Works great now

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:

Posts: 107699 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:

Works great now

No, a single lever control.

Posts: 8357 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:

Works great now

No, a single lever control.

If similar to mine there are definitely restricting items in there. Some probably are for restricting, others not.

I had to take ours all apart after the dip tube in our water heater disintegrated and blocked it all up.

The one I remember distinctly was a simple check valve on the end of the pull out where it connects to the mixing valve. I presume it is so that when you unscrew the hose on that end water from the hose doesn't run out. It had caught all kinds of pieces of the dip tube though, and in the process of cleaning it I damaged it and ended up just removing it. With it gone the opening is significantly larger.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try removing the flow restrictor screen where the hose connects to the head. Only do this if your water is good, otherwise particulate in your water will plug up the spray head.

IMHO opinion, Kohler faucets today are sh*t compared to what they once were, that goes for American Standard as well.

Been in the business for 52 years and sad to say, but faucet companies are chasing after money, not longevity!!

Delta just made a critical mistake in a design change from seats, springs and a ball control to a cartridge that is failing miserably. I won't sell them anymore. They have also changed their parts replacement protocol. Instead of just sending the part to repair, they now want the customers name, phone # and email address first---F**k them!!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I guess it's not a straightforward fix. I see restrictors removed on other faucets, I'm assuming there's one here. A specific piece beyond the standard screens and channeling.

I may remove the barrel shaped piece fitted in the flexible hose that runs to the head/sprayer. Replace with a simple fitting, full flow.

Or maybe get a replacement head in case I mess up the one now in use. The one thing for sure is this faucet does not move water like the worn out old one did.

Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I tried to remove the flow restrictor from our pull-down sprayer, but couldn't see any way to do it without breaking it, so I ordered this one from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Bathroo...r%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-6

It comes with different sizes of hose adapters, and an easily removable flow restrictor. The diameter of the top is a bit larger than the diameter of the gooseneck, but at least now I have some water pressure, so I can live with it.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:
I tried to remove the flow restrictor from our pull-down sprayer, but couldn't see any way to do it without breaking it, so I ordered this one from Amazon.

Thanks, Ironbutt! Yeah, the spray head seems to be a sealed unit but it's good to know the major restriction comes from that piece. We'll have to decide if we prefer flow over appearance.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
Try removing the flow restrictor screen where the hose connects to the head. Only do this if your water is good, otherwise particulate in your water will plug up the spray head.

IMHO opinion, Kohler faucets today are sh*t compared to what they once were, that goes for American Standard as well.

Been in the business for 52 years and sad to say, but faucet companies are chasing after money, not longevity!!

Delta just made a critical mistake in a design change from seats, springs and a ball control to a cartridge that is failing miserably. I won't sell them anymore. They have also changed their parts replacement protocol. Instead of just sending the part to repair, they now want the customers name, phone # and email address first---F**k them!!!

Damn, those three are the ones I'm looking at to replace a couple in the house. What manufacturer(s) do you recommend instead?

Posts: 4985 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Moen still backs their faucets with very little trouble, their cartridges are about the best made IMO.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Comprehensively screwing the pooch with my thread here, BUMP...