SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A small but significant Republican victory in Virginia: a sign this state can go Red
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A small but significant Republican victory in Virginia: a sign this state can go Red Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
I glimmer of hope that Virginia can be flipped red again.

This is a small but significant victory.

The City of Staunton Council on Tuesday was flipped from Blue to Red. This is unheard of. Staunton, while a beautiful and fun city to visit, is a cesspool of liberals and its city council has almost always been controlled by democrats. Tuesday, all that changed. For a city election, turnout was huge. The losing Democrats increased their vote totals significantly over their last election. But as the below article says, "Democrats got their voters out. Republicans just got a lot more of their out."

I've said it before and this is some measure of proof. Virginia is a conservative state, filled with conservatives that won't vote. If conservative would vote, this state could be flipped red again. In Staunton, conservatives actually unplugged their thumbs from their asses and got out and voted and flipped the city council to republicans.

There is no reason this can't be done everywhere in the state:

https://augustafreepress.com/w...ty-from-blue-to-red/

quote:

What happened in Staunton? Massive turnout flips Queen City from blue to red

Staunton City Council incumbents Ophie Kier, James Harrington and Erik Curren all outperformed their 2016 vote totals in their 2020 re-election runs.

Kier won re-election in 2016 with 1,261 votes, and on Tuesday, he polled 2,248.

Harrington went from 1,153 votes in 2016 to 2,049 in 2020.

Curren jumped from 1,009 in his 2016 run to 1,852 in 2020.

Democrats got their voters out better than they have in a May cycle in years.

Republicans got turnout more akin to, not quite a presidential year, but approaching gubernatorial.

Inside the numbers: Turnout swings red
Before you @me, yes, the candidates didn’t have formal labels beside their names on the ballots.

We all know who the Ds are and who the Rs are.

This analysis is done with that underlying understanding.

Back to the numbers: overall turnout was in the range of 4,320 votes cast.

It’s hard to get an exact figure from the State Board of Elections website, since Staunton local elections are all at-large, and on Tuesday, voters were able to vote for four candidates.

The total number of votes cast was 17,279.

For comparison to previous cycles, the 2018 local election had 7,068 votes cast for three seats, which would work out to 2,356 individual voters turning out.

Back in 2016, the most recent, until Tuesday, four-seat election, the total cast was 6,325, or 1,581 individual voters.

In 2014, there were 6,850 votes cast in that three-seat election, working out to 2,284 individual voters.

The 2012 cycle, another four-seat year, had 4,782 votes cast, or 1,196 individual voters turning out.

The vote grab for Oakes is comparable to what the last two Republican gubernatorial nominees received in Staunton.

Ed Gillespie received 3,406 votes in Staunton in 2017 in his loss to Democrat Ralph Northam, who received 53.3 percent of the votes in Staunton in that election.

Back in 2013, Republican nominee Ken Cuccinelli polled 2,869 votes in Staunton in his loss to Terry McAuliffe, who won Staunton with 47.2 percent of the vote in a three-way race that also included a Libertarian, Robert Sarvis.

It’s also true that Kier’s vote total on Tuesday – 2,248 – is a high-water mark dating back to the 2012 cycle for a candidate on the D side.

Kier’s vote haul in 2020 outpaced that of the sitting mayor, Carolyn Dull, in the 2018 election, in which she received 2,155 votes.

The totals for Harrington and Curren would rank third and fourth among Ds over this five-cycle time frame.

It bears repeating here: Democrats got their voters out.

Republicans just got a lot more of their out.

What fueled the fire?
May elections have traditional been a hard nut to crack. Turnout is usually, frustratingly, in the 20 percent or less range, and it can be seductive to look at the relatively low vote totals of the winners and tell yourself, next cycle, man, all we’ve gotta do is get our side to come out, and we can steal this thing!

The tailwind for the Rs, dating back to the winter, was the tumult locally over gun-control legislation being advanced in the General Assembly by Democrats, who had run on gun control as a key issue in the 2019 legislative races that gave them control of the House of Delegates for the first time in more than two decades.

The political payback to Northern Virginia for flipping the House seemed poised to take out the pockets of D control in central, south and western parts of the state, as we all remember, in what seems like distant past now, the Second Amendment sanctuary movement, which was at its height in December and January.

The question heading into the May elections had to do with how the COVID-19 lockdowns might dampen the momentum of the sanctuary movement candidates in outposts like Staunton and Waynesboro, where local leaders resisted adopting resolutions declaring their cities to be sanctuaries despite intense outcries from vocal minorities in both locales.

The candidate most closely associated with the sanctuary movement in Waynesboro, Jim Wood, came up well short in his challenge to the sitting mayor, Terry Short, though two other candidates backed by Republicans – Bruce Allen and Lana Williams – won seats to give conservatives a working majority on Waynesboro City Council moving forward.

The conservative slates in both cities ran as a unit and highlighted the Second Amendment as a key issue in their campaigns.

Bottom line is that the strategies worked, flipping both from D to R, but the change in Staunton is stunning almost beyond words.

A city that voted for Barack Obama, twice, voted for Hillary Clinton, voted for Terry McAuliffe and Ralph Northam, even gave a solid majority to Jennifer Lewis in her 2018 congressional run against Ben Cline, is now controlled by Republicans.

I’m rarely shocked by something that happens in politics, but I have to admit, I didn’t see this one happening.

Story by Chris Graham

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Saw this story on Daily Caller just a few minutes ago. This is great news, IMO people are getting fed up with what Democrats are doing, especially the last month.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
OUTSTANDING!!!!

Now let’s see this happen in whole lot of other cities! There was no reason for the Dems to propose all those garbage laws right out of the gate. They were never about stoping gun violence they were just symbolic middle fingers to Americans who value the second amendment and voted against their party gang.

I’d love to see the Democrat party reduced to something like the libertarian party and become a fringe group of perpetually pissed off lunatics who never get to hold much power or abuse their authority.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I can't wait for 2021. I hope we take back the state.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, I still know at least 10 people that won't un-ass their heads. They continue saying that their vote don't matter and it pisses me off to the point I just want to smack the taste out of their mouth. Glad it's opened some eyes, but laziness and complacency are hard to overcome.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Great win Virginia!

having turned blue, Virginia will need to vote in all elections moving forward.

Need an aggressive voting attitude like your life and guns depend on it...

HK Ag

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The big test will be 2020, and how the congressional elections go and if VA drops for Trump.

quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
There were more all over the state. A republican actually won a seat in the Vienna town council, and I believe in Fairfax city as well....for those that don’t know those are both in Bluest of the blue areas. Fairfax rivals NYC and LA for liberals.

I was really worried that all the momentum we built up through January might be another victim of the virus...this gives me hope

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Biden won Virginia and there was still a red wave locally. I think state and local politics are a different animal from national politics in Va.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I believe the virus only fuels the backlash against gun control. People see the need for self reliance, and gun rights are a component of it. Look at the rush to buy guns at the beginning of the virus. The surge in sales wasn’t coming from us, the existing gun owners. It was from the first timers.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Waynesboro went red and there were GOP pick ups of spots all over the state. Big Grin

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not gonna happen. Staunton with around 25,000 residents is a drop in the bucket compared to areas like Fairfax County (1.1 million residents), Prince William (470,000) and Loudoun (415,000) which have become solidly Democratic.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Once again, I am proud of the awakened VA denizen. Hopefully this trend will continue Bigly into November.

Posts: 3149 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Pitter. Flippin'. Patter.

Let's get after it!

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
The big test will be 2020, and how the congressional elections go and if VA drops for Trump.

quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

I don't have much hope for the national election. I'm more worried about general assembly. Virginia is blue nationally now, but I'd love to eat my words.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post