SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to spot fake reviews on Amazon.com
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to spot fake reviews on Amazon.com Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
Here is part of a WSJ article on spotting fake reviews:

quote:
Is It Really Five Stars? How to Spot Fake Amazon Reviews
It’s on us to understand how Amazon reviews really work before we buy, and it’s on Amazon to start rethinking the star system entirely

Joanna SternDec. 20, 2018 9:00 a.m. ET
My dog loves this pet drinking fountain. He doesn’t care that it’s louder than Niagara Falls when the water level is low, and that the setup instructions were impossible to follow. Oops, this is supposed to be a positive review. So, yeah, the LED light is nice, I guess?

I’ll never actually post that, but it could have been worth money if I had. Let me explain. I visited a Facebook group called “Amazon Reviews” and was promised a full refund on a $44 Amazon purchase of a pet fountain if I did the following on the mega-retailer’s site:

1. Write a positive review.

2. Post my photos of the product.

3. Rate it five stars.

Not only is this ethically problematic, it is also against Amazon and Facebook user policies. Plenty of people don’t care, though: They’ll do it for this pet gizmo or one of the other bajillion products in these forums.

Every day, many of us search for a product on Amazon, pick a four- to five-star option and tap Buy Now. Those little yellow stars can make or break a product.

“In early 2012, the Amazon catalog grew too big, and the only way to get to the top of search results was to prove to the algorithm that your product was the best,” said Juozas Kaziukėnas, chief executive of Marketplace Pulse, a business-intelligence firm focused on e-commerce. “Most sellers realized acquiring reviews was a golden ticket.”

That five-star Amazon review? It may have been given in exchange for a free product or even cash.
That five-star Amazon review? It may have been given in exchange for a free product or even cash. Photo: Photo illustration: Laura Kammerman/The Wall Street Journal
Over the past few years, Amazon has cracked down on fake reviews as well as on incentivized reviews, where companies offer refunds to shoppers in exchange for top stars. However, my hours lurking in shady Facebook groups and combing Amazon reviews tell me both types are very much still alive and well.

It’s on us to better understand the complicated world of Amazon reviews before we make a purchase. But it’s on Amazon to start rethinking the star system entirely.

Link

Bottom line is this:
You can use one of two websites that try to spot fake reviews.
Reviewmeta.com
and
fakespot.com

I just used reviewmeta.com (recommended by author of the article) and looked at their report card, which details items they use to look for fakes.
Give it a try.

Posts: 18052 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
thanks.

I checked one of the well-reviewed products that I recently returned. Reviewmeta didn't flag it, but fakespot certainly did.

I'm not surprised as it had fake reviews as it was piss poor during the 3 weeks I owned it.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Fakespot is good. I am anal and read the reviews, you can easily pick out the fake ones if you take the time. Usually I don't read any good reviews. I don't care about the good reviews, more than half the people are too stupid to identify a quality product vs a POS. The bad reviews tell you the worst aspects of the product. Also when you read the reviews and people give one star due to delivery issues or them misreading the listing I throw those reviews out.

I just had a bit of a blow up with them regarding fake reviews. Product just listed for sale that had more reviews than possible for the short period on Amazon and 95% of reviews were five stars. I got them to remove the product, but that doesn't really solve the issue. First they are one of a bunch of bad actors on there, second they just rename the company and/product and rinse and repeat.

If possible I only buy items sold by Amazon, third party vendors are very hit or miss.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
On Amazon or any other site, I usually only read the negative reviews. Often to see if they reenforce specific concerns I have.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
On Amazon or any other site, I usually only read the negative reviews. Often to see if they reenforce specific concerns I have.

I do similar, I want to see the complaints & why people were dissatisfied, rather than hundreds (or more) of "This product is great".

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15304 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Yea, I also seek out the negative reviews. I don't just look at the positive reviews. But the negative reviews are sometimes sketchy as well.

But I don't even look at reviews if the product has a hint of being from a PRC company (not just an American company with products made in PRC). PRC made for a PRC company - definite no for me since I don't even care for PRC made for an American company (but sometimes unavoidable)).

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I was looking at Bluetooth ear buds one set had 5813 reviews all 5 star many had the same review statement, tag line, and poor English! Pathetic I decided to leave a one star and note this in my statement.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4834 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Haribo Sugar Free Classic Gummi Bears reviews get a 3.5/5 Star rating on Amazon, but

Reviewmeta.com only lowers it to 3.4/5. "29% of potentially unnatural reviews removed "

Smile Not bad.

https://reviewmeta.com/amazon/B006J1FBLM

https://www.amazon.com/Haribo-...t-reviews/B006J1FBLM

Ima check with snopes.com next.

Hahahahahaha!

snopes says Gummi Bears are made with car wax, but that's OK. No mention of fake reviews.

Posts: 15890 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Yea, I also seek out the negative reviews. I don't just look at the positive reviews. But the negative reviews are sometimes sketchy as well.

But I don't even look at reviews if the product has a hint of being from a PRC company (not just an American company with products made in PRC). PRC made for a PRC company - definite no for me since I don't even care for PRC made for an American company (but sometimes unavoidable)).

I love the idiots who leave negative reviews that have nothing to do with the actual product.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I also home in on the negative reviews. Some are valuable, a bunch are someone got a lemon or the buyer is an idiot.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8341 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing beats the Amazon reviews for 3M nuclear duct tap.

Big Grin

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I'll see your duct tape reviews and raise you with these television reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung...t-reviews/B00L403O8U

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I'll call you with the "Three Wolf Moon" Shirt review Big Grin...

https://www.amazon.com/Mountai...2HJ377A?pageNumber=2

I will keep the "BIC Cristal Pen For Her" up my sleeve if needed...

https://www.amazon.com/BIC-Cri...t-reviews/B004F9QBE6

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I actually ordered a “Three Wolves Moon” T-shirt on the basis of the reviews, and it’s had all the predicted desirable effects!

Posts: 18052 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
There is a guy who among other things is a fake Navy SEAL, already outed by Don Shipley. He submitted a fake postive review of his own book, apparently unaware that Amazon appends your registered real name to reviews. I'd show it to you, but he finally took down the review.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16337 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
My daughter, who is very attentive to what she buys for her baby, has almost given up on Amazon due to so many defective and questionable items from the PRC. As noted above, there's a big difference between articles manufactured for US companies in China and the weirdly-named and -packaged stuff knocked off by Chinese companies.

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I wrote a three star review and the seller contacted me to ask if I'd change it, offering me a coupon on my next purchase.
I said no, as my review wasn't subjective... they claimed their bowl was 22 ounce capacity, but you couldn't put 16 in it without it overflowing.

Later I found my review had just disappeared. they continued to list the product as a 22 ounce bowl.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
I wrote a three star review and the seller contacted me to ask if I'd change it, offering me a coupon on my next purchase.
I said no, as my review wasn't subjective... they claimed their bowl was 22 ounce capacity, but you couldn't put 16 in it without it overflowing.

Later I found my review had just disappeared. they continued to list the product as a 22 ounce bowl.

Gotta watch out for those Chinese ounces

Posts: 430 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Generally I stick with 2,3,4 star reviews. Like zoom6zoom I gave a 3 star and was contacted by the seller. They whined that their business depended on 5 star reviews. I wrote back that my 5 star reviews depended on 5 star products/service.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:

I love the idiots who leave negative reviews that have nothing to do with the actual product.

Yea, like shipping damage. Roll Eyes

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post