SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Blackout license plates
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blackout license plates Login/Join 
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted
As a tangent to the license plate thread, does your state have "blackout plates?" I don't know if Iowa was the first state, but I think if not, it was pretty close to the first state to offer these a couple of years ago.

Blackout plate news story

I've started seeing cars from other states having them. Its a brilliant idea, pay a little bit extra each year to the "road fund" and get an all black license plate instead of Iowa's ugly blue, white and lime green one. We have them on 2 cars and I've gotten comments driving in other states about them.

Posts: 2526 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Re: “I don't know if Iowa was the first state, but I think if not, it was pretty close to the first state to offer these a couple of years ago.”

California had yellow characters on a black plate in 1953 or earlier. Standard, rather than a vanity plate offering. But nowadays we can get the yellow-on-black as a vanity plate.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9001 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Great idea! Make it easy for the license plate readers/location trackers (it isn't just the cops that have these, although they probably have the best database).

Posts: 6507 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Delaware's white on black license plate has been around since the Ford model T. My grandfather had one.

I believe now it's a limited historical series (the low numbers: X to XXXX) and they are often willed to family heirs. Some are auctioned off... decades ago the number 4 (the lowest non-gov't owned license #) was auctioned off for over a million $.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
TX has had it in a few variations for a while.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15372 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Our standard plates are "blue-out". Dark blue with white numbers.

Of the roughly 150 different options for license plates here though (drives me nuts), there are a few that have black backgrounds and white numbering. Pretty much any organization can have their own distinct license plates here. I'm not sure what the requirements are, but there are about 150 different ones now. Apparently, a portion of the fee for licensing then goes to that organization...or some such thing. It's gotten ridiculous.

We need to go back to one standard plate for the whole state IMO.

Posts: 20129 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Could this be a money grab? Design the ugliest plate possible and then charge extra to get an optional less obnoxious but not theamed one? Might catch on.

It bugs me that Tennessee law requires a redesign of our plates every eight years... Why?

Hell, I still miss the old days when the first two digits of the tag denoted which county it was from. That was cool. The biggest county by population got #01 and so on down the line to #95 for the smallest county. This was dropped in 1988.
Any other states that do this?

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Iowa plates used to have the county number on the plate. County names replaced numbers in 1979.

If you want to get lost in license plate history, visit this site:

http://www.15q.net/usindex.html

Posts: 5166 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Michigan recently re-introduced it's old yellow-on-dark-blue, "Water - Winter Wonderland" license plate:

Seeing a lot of them around.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Could this be a money grab?

In TX:
$495/5yrs
$445/3yrs
$195/1yr
Plus annual registration cost.

This style is available in 4 colorways [Black/White, Black/Silver, Blue/Silver, Pink/Silver]
Then there's dozens of other designs as well.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15372 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Great idea! Make it easy for the license plate readers/location trackers (it isn't just the cops that have these, although they probably have the best database).

I was thinking the same thing. With all the photo radar and photo red light cams around here, people are starting to put an opaque tinted cover over their plate to make it more difficult to even get a good photo of the plate.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10938 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Could this be a money grab?

In TX:
$495/5yrs
$445/3yrs
$195/1yr

This style is available in 4 colorways [Black/White, Black/Silver, Blue/Silver, Pink/Silver]
Then there's dozens of other designs as well.

Oofta...that is a possibility on the ugly license plate and then the blackouts a couple years ago, but evidently there was some sort of "vote" about the plates with the lime green bottoms winning and then several years passed before the blackout, but they only cost $35 extra for the initial plate and $10/yr thereafter. If you go personalized blackout, it is $60 initial fee ($25 plate + $35 blackout fee) and $15 each year thereafter ($5 "validation fee" + $10 blackout fee). This is all on top of your regular registration cost.

Posts: 2526 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:

I was thinking the same thing. With all the photo radar and photo red light cams around here, people are starting to put an opaque tinted cover over their plate to make it more difficult to even get a good photo of the plate.
Well if it's opaque you won't see anything at all .

Posts: 4069 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I still miss the old days when the first two digits of the tag denoted which county it was from. That was cool. The biggest county by population got #01 and so on down the line to #95 for the smallest county. This was dropped in 1988.

It's still that way here on the standard plates.

Posts: 20129 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
quote:
quote:

Well if it's opaque you won't see anything at all .

Yes, true. Interesting that they do make an switchable opaque cover, although what I mainly see around here is just a dark tinted plate cover, or some type of cover that allows you to only read it if you are directly in front of behind it, kind of like those privacy monitor screen covers used in offices.

Google Ghostplate and you will see what I mean about the ones that go opaque.

The GHOSTPLATE™ Road Warrior™ cover consists of a PDLC membrane. In the natural state, the PDLC membrane is completely opaque which obscures the plate and tag information. When power is applied, the PDLC membrane switches to a completely transparent state and remains so until the current is suspended. You will be able to have the ability to obscure your license plate from probing eyes with a simple flip of a switch.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10938 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I’m in the club of I don’t get it. I don’t care how ugly the state design is of the license plate. I’m not giving the state another nickel to waste.

Then again I’m from Illinois so I might be bitter.

I also haven’t used a front plate in a two plate state in over 25 years.

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Oh.. the ones that usually don’t work and gets you a ticket for obstructed plate?

Posts: 4066 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
I still miss the old days when the first two digits of the tag denoted which county it was from. That was cool. The biggest county by population got #01 and so on down the line to #95 for the smallest county. This was dropped in 1988.

It's still that way here on the standard plates.

NE still has the county numbers on the plates except for the 3 most populated counties in the state. They have the 3 letters and 3 digits. It won’t be long before other counties go to that. Our county has grown so much the county actually ran out of plates twice last year.

Posts: 4066 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

In TX:
$495/5yrs
$445/3yrs
$195/1yr

^ This is why I’d never have one. Registration is already enough.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12650 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I don't understand. What purpose does this serve?

Posts: 107719 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post