SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Aaron Judge Does It! 62 Homers Without PEDs!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aaron Judge Does It! 62 Homers Without PEDs! Login/Join 
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Edmond:
Barry as a kid had an ego that came into the room long before Barry ever did and it was his ego that prompted him to juice.

My wife went to elementary school with Barry in the Bay Area, said he was a jerk back then.

Posts: 1351 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
quote:
Sosa and McGuire never tested positive either.

Sosa tested positive. Bonds tested positive.

Sosa and McGuire admitted to juicing during that run.

Sosa didn’t test positive for the mlb. McGuire didn’t test positive but admitted it later after being under oath. The only reason Bonds tested positive is because the person injecting him told them what substance to test for.

Today, the New York Times released a list of 104 names of MLB players that tested positive in 2003 for performance-enhancing drugs.

To no one's surprise, former Cub Sammy Sosa was on the list.

Sosa tested positive

I made mistake above. Sosa never admitted to doping. McGuire and Bonds did.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
The game is always changing, so you can't really compare stats from different eras.
But one point I like mentioning is about the ball parks. With a few exceptions, like some of the old parks like Fenway and Wrigley, almost every ball that Ruth and Maris hit to the warning track would be a home run today.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
The game is always changing, so you can't really compare stats from different eras.
But one point I like mentioning is about the ball parks. With a few exceptions, like some of the old parks like Fenway and Wrigley, almost every ball that Ruth and Maris hit to the warning track would be a home run today.

Yeah, but the pitchers of today are on another level compared to those. Back in the day, you stayed in for a full game, and so hitters took advantage of that later in the game as the pitcher tired.

Nowadays, you have different relievers and can throw your absolute best for a few dozen pitches and step out.

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Sosa and McGuire never tested positive either.

Sosa tested positive. Bonds tested positive.

Sosa and McGuire admitted to juicing during that run.

Sosa didn’t test positive for the mlb. McGuire didn’t test positive but admitted it later after being under oath. The only reason Bonds tested positive is because the person injecting him told them what substance to test for.

Today, the New York Times released a list of 104 names of MLB players that tested positive in 2003 for performance-enhancing drugs.

To no one's surprise, former Cub Sammy Sosa was on the list.

Sosa tested positive

I made mistake above. Sosa never admitted to doping. McGuire and Bonds did.

That was a New York Times list not an official MLB list. Believe me I realize he was doing steroids but the New York Times list isn’t considered official and it was from 5 years after the home run derby years.

From your article:

Sosa followed up his historic 1998 season with 63 home runs in 1999. He finished the 2003 season, the year of the supposedpositive test, with 40 home runs—his fewest in seven years.

Posts: 3925 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
These PEDs might increase a man's strength, but I don't see how they can influence his ability to even see a 90-mph fastball coming, let alone hit it. In other words, they don't increase his skill.

Posts: 27970 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
An d now for something completely different:

Steeee eeeeeeee - RIKE! Big Grin

https://imgur.com/gallery/SJdL2kq

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15898 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Of course the game is different, and parks are different, and pitchers are stronger, and batters are stronger, all players are fitter, there is a DH . . .

But we still compare statistics.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
A hitter is a hitter. Sources say Hank Aaron still had a great swing as an elderly man.

PEDs allow you to maintain peak performance over the grind of a 160+ game season. That is why the numbers become so inflated.

Sure nutrition, sports medicine, and therapy are all better but the record books weren't thrown out the window until juicing was in full swing.

Maris is now I think 7th on the list of most homers in a season.

quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
These PEDs might increase a man's strength, but I don't see how they can influence his ability to even see a 90-mph fastball coming, let alone hit it. In other words, they don't increase his skill.

Posts: 2716 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Congratulations to Judge. It is quite a record to break.

(And you naysayers and critics can pound sand. Go poop on someone else's party.)

Yes exactly, thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5911 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Judge, by all accounts, is the real deal. Read the story of his adoption and adoptive parents, how he was raised, and how everything looks on the level.

Barry Bonds will forever live with an asterisk, as he should.

Aaron Judge will forever live with an exclamation point, as he should.

Posts: 4502 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Congratulations to Judge. It is quite a record to break.

(And you naysayers and critics can pound sand. Go poop on someone else's party.)

Ditto. Hats off to the man. Excellent job. I lost all interest in baseball and I watched it throughout my youth to adulthood, right up until the doping scandal. Turned it off. Shit like this might get me to watch it again. I miss watching Don Mattingly and Will the Thrill Clark, miss their swing. Was really awesome to watch. As was seeing the old man, Nolan, throw no hitters.

And today, a 45 year old QB, plays for Tampa, that is considered by many to be the greatest ever. I don’t know about this year, but last year he was throwing as good or better than he did 20 years ago. And that dude is no physical specimen by any means while you could see McGwire, and Canseco’s body looking unnatural, and especially Bonds head, get swole. I mean the guy looked complete different in the Bay compared to the Pittsburgh.

Nutrition, physical rehab, hyperbaric chambers, all sorts of things exist now to help athletes. Makes Mantle all that much more great knowing he’d go out and get hammered all the time and still did the things he did.

Innocent until proven guilty.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12643 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
That was a New York Times list not an official MLB list. Believe me I realize he was doing steroids but the New York Times list isn’t considered official and it was from 5 years after the home run derby years.

From your article:

Sosa followed up his historic 1998 season with 63 home runs in 1999. He finished the 2003 season, the year of the supposedpositive test, with 40 home runs—his fewest in seven years.

So where do you think the NYT got the list from, if not MLB? And do you think Sosa would have let the NYT off the hook with such obvious libel??

C'mon man. You said Sosa was never tested positive. He was!

quote:
Comparing stats before 2003 and after, Sosa's offensive numbers are far down in almost every category—whether it was by age or ceasing use of enhancers.

Sosa was one of the players who testified before Congress several years ago and claimed, along with several other players including Rafael Palmeiro, that he never used steroids in his professional career.

The man is a liar!

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Yes, but by allowing the hitter to develop more arm strength, it could mean the difference between the number of his hits that drop into a fielders glove on the warning track vs going over the wall.

quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post