SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for the tree experts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for the tree experts Login/Join 
posted
Last year I had a tree planted in my yard. It is a white tipped spruce. I wasn't home when they planted it and I never liked the location where it was planed. They refused to come out and move it and I have been thinking of digging it up and moving it myself. Because it has been so long since it was planted, would any of the tree experts here advise against replanting it or would it workout ok?

Posts: 5744 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How big is it?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11009 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
If it is small enough to dig up and move by hand, I'd say do it. Fall is a good time.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I don't imagine the roots on a spruce would have spread much in only a year. Could be wrong though.

Even if you do cut through some of them it shouldn't be a big deal. Just water it well for a few weeks after replanting.

Posts: 20121 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s about 6 ft tall.

Posts: 5744 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Move it. Make sure you water it. And it will be fine.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11009 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
not now though. later fall or early spring.

was it balled and burlaped or in a container when it was planted.

Water it good leading up to moving it. (several soakings) Then quit a week or so before moving depending on soil conditions. That is a pretty big tree to move by hand. But can be done.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19208 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Agree with ORC; also, you want to keep as much dirt within the root structure as humanly possible. A big dirt mass that keeps the roots within it. The more roots you have intact, the better your chances of success.

This will leave a big divot to fill in after you extract the whole thing and necessitate digging a fairly good sized hole to set it in.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15607 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
Cut half of the roots in the circle where you will be digging now. In the fall, transplant the tree. Doing this will give the tree a little time to adapt to having its roots cut.

Posts: 3232 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post