SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can I swap broth for stock???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I swap broth for stock??? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Made a simple chicken soup the other night. Just chicken, noodles, veggies, and chicken broth.
While it was quite delicious is was a hair salty. With the lack of ingredients I am presuming the saltiness came from the stock.
I was unable to locate a low sodium stock but was able to locate a low sodium broth. If I swap the 2 will it make the soup much different?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25446 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Yep, go right ahead and use it.
Next time just add water to the broth to cut the salt.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39770 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
Check out https://www.betterthanbouillon.com

They have reduced sodium offerings and taste great.

"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"
-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6090 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
eggies, and chicken broth.
While it was quite delicious is was a hair salty. With the lack of ingredients I am presuming the saltiness came from the stock.
I was una

Short answer...yes. Soup is very commonly made from low sodium chicken broth found at the grocery store.

Better answer: Make your own stock. It is really easy and you can put in as little or as much salt as you want. Stock will always have a much richer flavor than broth.

Posts: 6065 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I’m on my game, I’ll smoke a whole chicken or turkey etc, then throw the carcass in a pot after to make a great soup and get 2 different meals out of one.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I usually make and freeze my own stock 2-3 times a year. But if I don't use that, the Costco Kirkland six-packs of organic stock is pretty good.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Boil a whole chicken, spoon the fat off the top of the liquid... Boom, delicious broth and your ready to shred chicken.

I much prefer boiling and shredding my own chicken for soups, enchiladas, etc.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shiftyvtec:
Boil a whole chicken, spoon the fat off the top of the liquid... Boom, delicious broth and your ready to shred chicken.

I much prefer boiling and shredding my own chicken for soups, enchiladas, etc.

Home made stock is far superior.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
When I’m on my game, I’ll smoke a whole chicken or turkey etc, then throw the carcass in a pot after to make a great soup and get 2 different meals out of one.

This is what we do. I really like the smoke flavor of the broth. My wife is a soup making genius and even makes her noodles from scratch. The soup broth freezes well so it's always ready for those cold winter days.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Peal and add a whole potato, quartered and let it boil for about 15 minutes and it will bring the saltiness down.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
College Inn, Kitchen Basics and Swanson all make unsalted stock and broth. I use the College Inn quite frequently as I am on a low sodium diet.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2389 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Green Highlander:
College Inn, Kitchen Basics and Swanson all make unsalted stock and broth. I use the College Inn quite frequently as I am on a low sodium diet.

Yes. I use Kitchen Basics no (added) sodium stock all the time to add some flavored liquid to whatever I'm making. Works for me.

Posts: 2695 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
You can also boost the mouth feel of broth by adding some bloomed unflavored gelatin.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Ronzoni broth with the rosemary and thyme in it, is awesome for cooking mushrooms in.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:

I smoked a whole chicken once. It was a chore getting it lit and I sprained a lung keeping it going. But it was disappointing, not even a slight buzz.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43921 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

I smoked a whole chicken once. It was a chore getting it lit and I sprained a lung keeping it going. But it was disappointing, not even a slight buzz.

Then...you didn't stuff it right. I'm in Oregon, so I have access to the finest "herbs." Big Grin

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Never tried bartering at our local grocery store. I just pay cash.

Posts: 26941 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Put 5-6 lbs of chicken parts in a large deep pot (I like backs, necks, wings, and feet...or, just feet is the best IMO). Cover with several inches of water and bring to a boil over high heat. At this point, move the pot off to the side of the burner and reduce heat to a point where it just boils on the one side. Let it simmer (low boil) for a couple of hours like this. Moving it to the side will cause the chicken meat/bones to roll over on themselves and circulate well. Skim off the crud as needed.

Then add one large onion cut into big chunks, half a dozen or so garlic cloves, 1-2 large carrots, 1-2 stalks celery, parsley, rosemary (if you like it), and as many peppercorns as you like.

Continue at this one-sided low boil for several more hours...I've let it go for 4-6 hours with great results.

When done (it's up to you when that is, but at least 2-3 hours after adding the veggies/spices), run everything through a strainer to remove all of the solids.

Then, and only then, add salt (I use sea salt...it just tastes better for some reason) to taste.

Store in the fridge, freeze, or can. If you do it right and use chicken parts that are mostly bone (necks, wings, backs, feet) it should gel up nicely once it cools off. The gelatin is VERY good for you.

This will be the best broth you've ever had and despite sounding somewhat difficult and time consuming, it's really easy and so much better than anything you can buy in the store.

I made a big batch a few weeks back and freeze-dried it this time. Now, I can just take a few tablespoons from the jar, add some boiling water, and ... voila! Instant chicken broth. BTW, I love my freeze dryer. I hope someday they become more affordable for everyone. It is a revolution in food storage.

Posts: 20130 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Nice!

My mom has a freeze drier and uses the snot out of it. Coolest thing she did was freeze dried brewed coffee (looked like high quality Folgers Crystals). I had a cup, it was really smooth and for some reason tasted sweet enough I didn't add any sweetener, just drank it black. She didn't add sweetener either.

I made some smoked pork chili verde and gave leftovers to her to freeze dry. It tasted amazing!

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:

This is what we do. I really like the smoke flavor of the broth. My wife is a soup making genius and even makes her noodles from scratch. The soup broth freezes well so it's always ready for those cold winter days.

Jim

When I'm feeling lazy I will pick up precooked rotisserie chicken, eat that for dinner, then next day take leftovers pick it clean then boil the carcass and have that as a base for chicken noodle soup the next day.

Homemade chicken noodle soup is awesome, I could eat it daily, just a bit of work to make from scratch.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20841 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post