SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Karma Cleaver Arrived! Thanks Sig2340! - Chinese Style Meat and Vegetable Cleaver
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Karma Cleaver Arrived! Thanks Sig2340! - Chinese Style Meat and Vegetable Cleaver Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
I would like a nice Chinese style meat and veggie cleaver. Preferably fairly large; I have large hands, and will likely be processing larger quantities of food with it.

Prices are all over the map:

XiaoYao at $19 Link

Kofery: $35 Link

Imarku: $46 Link

Kyouku: $55 Link

Henckels $90 Link

Shun: $260 Link

I won't be buying the Shun, because as nice as it is, I don't need a Damascus cleaver. I have Henckels Chef's knives that I have used for over 30 years, and I love them, so Henckels is high on the list, and the Imarku looks pretty good to me as well, but would like larger and wider.

Note that I'm not selecting from this list, only using it as a set of possibilities.

Any suggestions for a good, large, sharp Chinese style cleaver?

Thanks.

ETA: I already have a bone crushing Henckels meat cleaver for doing heavy butchering work. The cleaver I am looking for is much more for fine, thin slicing and chopping.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ArtieS,

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12794 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Fwiw - Shuns are not typically Damascus other than they use of a variety of differing stainless steals in a pattern weld, to then clad usually a very high-quality, high carbon supersteel core.

I have a Shun chefs knife made the very same way.

It’s an important and crucial distinction.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I have had a very inexpensive Tarhong (Thunder Group) #SLKF018 Chinese Ping (vegetable) Cleaver 8.5" x 4.25" Carbon Steel for years. I've found it to be easily sharpened and great to use with a "pinch grip."

Pacific Rim folks use these as their go to kitchen blade and there are good reasons why. No need to spend big bucks on one unless you want some handle eye candy and upscale steel, neither of which is necessary for functional utility.

FWIW I have many other kitchen knives including some rather expensive European and Japanese numbers, but this sees a great deal of use fine slicing vegetables and meat.

ETA: older thread on this subject that you should read
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0038064?r=8470038064

Others to consider rather than stuff on your list. As an aside I detest metal handles. They're slippery and dangerous.
https://www.amazon.com/Vegetab.../dp/B09K48NGX1/?th=1
https://www.amazon.com/Vegetab...ASTER/dp/B09K4C7K2Q/
And if you'd rather have stainless steel:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0768H6PS9/ref=emc_b_5_t
https://www.amazon.com/SHI-BA-...sional/dp/B07QF7ZXQ8

Frankly I'd recommend one of those that I cite above. They'll serve as a proof of concept for you for very little money. If you find your really like them you can always upgrade to a more refined model. I never felt the need personally. Smile
And of those above, I'd personally choose the SHI BA ZI ZUO (aka Shibazi Zuo) F208-1 Clad 3-layer Stainless Steel (80Cr13 + 10Cr17) Ping knife. It has become an Asian chef favorite (search the web about this piece) and is a nice step up from the Christopher Kimball's recommended CCK (Chan Chi Kee) models which have also been plagued with gross price inflation.

Yes konata88 and I disagree here. I don't like the shallower height of the knife style he likes.
Reminds me of the chef's knife (European or Japanese Gyuto) vs santuko classic debates. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16250 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I don't like the chinese cleaver. I've used them and they are a little unwieldy for me. Except for making ground beef/pork.

Of the list, I'd probably lean toward the Henckel's but I have no experience w/ it. I definitely wouldn't buy shit like the imarku or Kyouku - prc shit trying to pass off as higher quality japanese stuff. Just on principle, that would be a hard pass even if they were decent.

Fine, thin slicing doesn't sound like a cleaver to me. I prefer aritsugu as a brand but there are many choices. This webpage is just for example of the type of knife (what I would choose). I have no ideas about the seller, this particular model, etc.

https://www.seito-newyork.com/...on-kasumi-deba-pkmjy

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12747 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Lots of options here. Although it won’t help you narrow down your choice.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/cleavers.html

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12445 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Fine, thin slicing doesn't sound like a cleaver to me.

A Chinese cleaver is not used at all like a western one, they have very thin blades and edges that would be destroyed in short order if you used them on anything with bones in it.

They're used much more like a tall nakiri or usuba. They're the primary (or even only!) kitchen knife in many Chinese kitchens and work great for fine veggie prep.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Artie, I have an instant karma for you.

I have started downsizing.

I will happily pass along my Chinese knife, made for Williams Sonoma. I haven't used it since I got sick in 2018.

I'd rather see it being used than taking up space in my drawer.

Check your email.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31470 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Chinese cleavers come in two basic calibers. A thin, most-purpose blade used on most foods, meats (w/o bones), vegetables, etc. Its wide blade makes it easy to scoop up the pile of bite-sized pieces you just made and transfer directly to wok or prep dishes. Saves a surprising amount of time and effort.

Serious cooks will also have a heavy-gauge cleaver for hacking through bone and other hard substances:

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16378 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Good to know - I never knew that. I've only used the heavier caliber I guess.

For food prep, over the years, I bought higher quality and trimmed down types. These days, I only use:

1) Deba 6" (aritsugu)
2) Sashimi 10" (aritsugu)
3) Chef/Deba (Shun 6") -- given the knives I have in my possession, this is what I would use the OP task of veggie fine slicing. Bulk gets a food processor. Smile

I do have other knives for non-food prep (steak knives, bread knife, paring knife for peeling/cutting fruit after dinner, etc).

But as I've aged, I've found I like the simplicity of one-stop-shop rather than pulling out a different knife for each task.

Sig2340 nice karma. I had a similar thought and went to look for my chinese style cleaver but looks like I already gave it away.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12747 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
WOW! Thanks very much!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12794 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I've got one of these.
cleaver

Surprisingly good edge retention even when chopping through chicken bones. I'm sure if you slipped, a finger could easily be severed.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^Yep, the heavy cleaver is quite robust. I actually use mine most often for chopping through ice!

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16378 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have the heavy cleaver already, and use it as intended. It's great for spatchcocking a turkey for the smoker. Takes the spine out and goes through the pelvis in a few strokes. Don't miss, though or you'll put a hell of a dent in the counter, or sever a finger.

posted Hide Post
I have a big heavy cleaver I use for big heavy jobs, but I now use heavy duty poultry shears for spatchcocking turkeys and chickens. I feel like I have way more control with them.

These are the ones I have: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003...QXCWP5JKEZC0XZHBMPMY

Posts: 996 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Chinese cleavers come in two basic calibers. A thin, most-purpose blade used on most foods, meats (w/o bones), vegetables, etc. Its wide blade makes it easy to scoop up the pile of bite-sized pieces you just made and transfer directly to wok or prep dishes. Saves a surprising amount of time and effort.

<snip>

Thanks kkina, I didn’t know of the “thin, most-purpose blade” type Chinese cleaver. Very interesting.

But nowadays I have to limit my food portions to pathetically small quantities for weight management. Consequently I’ll stick with my rather similar, but smaller, Japanese nakiri knife.

Also, I like the slightly rounded front edge of the nakiri. When I do a “swing down” cut, rather than a straight push cut, that rounded edge is easier on my cutting board.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8994 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I remember watching a cooking show with a Chinese host and stated you only really need two knives in a kitchen. One of them is a cleaver. It is a handy thing to have.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3872 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
My Chinese cleaver has not become my go-to favorite kitchen knife. Since the one I got is a bit mid-size, I may get another (larger) one soon.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17293 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
My Chinese cleaver has not become my go-to favorite kitchen knife. Since the one I got is a bit mid-size, I may get another (larger) one soon.

I prefer the larger ones as well.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16250 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
You're welcome, Pipe Smoker. I actually like nakiris, it's just that it wasn't so different from the full-size Chinese cleaver I first learned on.

For at least 20 years after I first started cooking, all I used was a Chinese cleaver. You can do amazing things with one, even small jobs. Since then I've branched out to different knives, just because.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Here we go! Sig2340's Instant Karma arrived. It was sharp out of the box, but I gave it a couple of strokes on a Ken Onion Work Sharp 6000 grit polishing belt, and it is a razor. Checked it on the hair of my arm, and I couldn't feel it cutting, it shaved that smooth.

I can't wait to try this when I make dinner tonight. I need to julienne some chicken, fine cut some herbs, and make a salad.

Thank you Sig2340. This is a fine gift, and I am in your debt.