SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    At 18 Years Of Age You
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

At 18 Years Of Age You Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
Can be forced into military service
Can vote for the president (and congressional representatives)

but you cannot

Drink (legally)
Smoke tobacco (legally)
Buy and smoke weed where legal (legally)

So kid, who's really in charge and why?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14042 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure tobacco is ok, not sure about the pot. Really not sure what this has to do about pistols.

Any chance you have partaken in either the pot or the drinking tonight?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20848 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pretty sure tobacco is ok, not sure about the pot. Really not sure what this has to do about pistols.

Can't buy a handgun legally.

There, fixed it for ya. Wink

EDIT: Oh at 18 you are entitled to qualify and take on student loans that can and ultimately extend into the hundreds of thousands. Now if THAT don't make y'all feel like an adult...

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

Any chance you have partaken in either the pot or the drinking tonight?

Watching a lecture about learning. The realization the political power 18 to 20 year olds have is lost upon them.

(Could be incorrect about the age for tobacco - I'm in the commie state)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Posts: 14042 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
quote:

Can't buy a handgun legally.

Forgot this too

sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Utah the smoking/tobacco age is 19, but the private-sale firearms age is 18. yes, federal law for handgun purchases from an FFL is still 21.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You used to be able to get a New York State handgun license at age 18, now it's 21.

Posts: 4592 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
California has raised the age limit to 21 for tobacco.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10716 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
I took my 19 yr old Marine nephew to the range. Had to sign for him since he wasn't 21. The continued infantilization of our youth. 26 is the new 21. 21 was the old 18. 18 was the old 16, ........ Maybe I'm just old!

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
In Kentucky, you can buy tobacco at 18. Drinking age is 21. But, although you can't buy a handgun at 18, you can legally carry one openly.

When I was 18, I bought all kinds of ammo for pistols, I just told them it was for a rifle. Smile

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37120 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Yes all this maybe be true but we all had to go through it or wait until we were old enough to legally have a drink, 21 to buy a handgun.
I agree if you're old enough to be in the military but as you get older allot of this makes good sense. When I was 18 I thought I knew everything which I soon found out that wasn't true.
Believe me before you know it you'll be old.

*** A Proud NRA Benefactor Member***

Posts: 212 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Back in the good ole days we could do it all legally at 18 except the pot. Smile
Don't recall if you get a handgun but I think so - I know I bought a shotgun at 18.

Posts: 22952 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I believe you can buy a handgun from a non-licensed dealer at 18 (not an FFL). I believe in NC an 18yo can posess and open carry a handgun. They just can't get their CCW permit until they are 21.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Not all kids apply here, but our 18 is now about 25 in maturity level.

They don't believe this to be true, but with the wisdom of years it is blatantly clear that the vast majority of 18 year olds nowadays aren't even close to being mature enough to do half the things we let them do.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
... can legally act in adult videos.

Posts: 28015 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30437 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Powerful stuff, Alan. Sorry you’re not home for Thanksgiving

Posts: 13305 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It's an unforgivable absurdity, these disconnects, inexcusable in every conceivable way.

Once someone is old enough to sign on the dotted line and give their life for their country (pick any age where this occurs, it matters not whether it's 17 or 30), the rest ought to be handed over on a silver platter wrapped in a bow of $100 bills with an enormous smile.

Idiotic doesn't begin to describe the disconnect. Absurd barely scratches the surface. There is no unit of measure large enough to describe how pigheadedly wrong it is, or how Neanderthal-esque and immense the hypocrisy of it all is. Vile are those who did this.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I am with mixed emotions on this issue. I do believe that young adults today are less mature (in judgment, not physical development) than those of the same age were many years ago--the permissive Society in which they were raised is to blame for that. I also believe that military service is a positive factor in causing such young people to develop a more responsible attitude.

Whereas one can certainly argue that it is not fair that a young person can be drafted into the service and face possible injury and death and yet not be able to fully access all perquisites of adulthood (sometimes called "Majority"), there is adequate statistical support that a great many 18-year-olds (male, generally) still behave childishly and without due regard for the safety of themselves and others. In short, they have not yet taken on the mantle of responsible adults, even though they have reached one of the milestones on that journey.

I would be more open to permitting those 18 and older to have the full panoply of options due an adult if they were at the time actually serving in the military--that agency does provide adult supervision such that the most egregious acts of stupidity are avoided. (Yes, parents traditionally are supposed to provide that supervision, but we have all seen that this avenue has in many cases failed.)

I obviously don't subscribe to the view of 46and2 on this. Service in the military is obviously best done by those young enough to do it well (and who essentially think they are immortal), whereas most other activities of adults require persons with more maturity. I don't really see a way to reconcile the two.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Didn't like any of those things when I was 18, so it wasn't much of a loss.

Razz

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7180 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post