SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Machinists and metal workers, looking for tool recommendation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Machinists and metal workers, looking for tool recommendation Login/Join 
posted
Looking for a quality Deburring External Chamfer Tool with a quick change 1/4" hex.
Don't need machinists quality, but don't want something cheap which doesn't work or last.

The price range seems to be anywhere from $5-100+
Main use will be for 3/8" all thread.

Something like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/ORXPLUS...ABJM5KSF62PAQD5&th=1

Or this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Titan-T...dExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Excam_Man,

Posts: 10061 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
What a great idea. I've always done it with 12" file with the all-thread secured to the pipe vise.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you run a nut on, cut, then back the nut off? Or do you need a clean appearance?

Posts: 3682 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What are you using to cut the all thread? We have found the fastest way to cut threaded rod to length that requires no additional prep is to use a band saw. Specifically the battery powered portabands from hilti and dewalt. I can check on the blade pitch when I get to the office. Super fast and no additional prep work. You could also use a rod cracker, but that requires bending over unless the tool is bench mounted, and it does not work as well in lifts. Are you using a ground man to fab hangers with a setting crew on a lift or do you plan on fabbing the hangers in the lift? Pre setting all hangers in the run or setting hangers as you go?

Posts: 1832 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the Titan, after cutting with a die grinder and cut off blade. Works great. You sure wouldn't want to run a nut all the way down and then cut it, would take to long.

Posts: 438 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Severance makes the good ones.

http://www.severancetool.com/p...og%20100.pdf#page=37

They have various shanks also.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5523 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
Can you run a nut on, cut, then back the nut off? Or do you need a clean appearance?

Wanting a clean smooth finished product.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stlhead:
What are you using to cut the all thread?

Milwaukee M12 bandsaw.

Works great, but I'm wanting a finished product with no sharp leading edge.

Was thinking about getting DeWalt's 20V threaded rod cutter. But it would be no diffferent, leaving behind the same sharp edge.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

After I cut any threaded item (allthread, machine screw, etc), by whatever cutting method, I take it to my belt/disc sander. Using the 1" belt, I first polish the end by holding it 90 degrees to the belt. This also removes most of the burrs, if any. Then, holding it lightly about 45 degrees to the belt, spin the rod in my hand for a single circumference. It makes for a nice clean end and chamfer. The process takes only a few seconds. And the nut goes on with no further attention to the rod. I would consider buying a dedicated tool if I had a whole bunch to do, often.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10874 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Listen to Henryaz....I think the deburring tool in your link wouldn't work very well, it would probably grab your work piece. At the best I think it would leave a choppy finish.
By hand as Henryaz described would be my choice.

Posts: 1653 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

After I cut any threaded item (allthread, machine screw, etc), by whatever cutting method, I take it to my belt/disc sander. Using the 1" belt, I first polish the end by holding it 90 degrees to the belt. This also removes most of the burrs, if any. Then, holding it lightly about 45 degrees to the belt, spin the rod in my hand for a single circumference. It makes for a nice clean end and chamfer. The process takes only a few seconds. And the nut goes on with no further attention to the rod. I would consider buying a dedicated tool if I had a whole bunch to do, often.

I've used this method with a bench grinder. Works well.

I'm looking for a simpler, cordless and non sparking method.
I've thought about trying the Milwaukee M12 right angle die grinder with a disc.