SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why bagels are boiled
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why bagels are boiled Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
There are a couple of good places in Brookline, Massachusetts, too.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
quote:
Originally posted by fvyellowbird:
A lot of truth in that second article. I miss being able to get a decent bagel down here vs in NJ.

My wife is a non practicing Jew. She claims she has had a real bagel since moving from Brooklyn. Nothing beats a Jewish deli in NYC.

This! I have eaten a lot of bagels through the years. Far and away the best were in NYC!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
For those of you in southeast MI, New York Bagel in Royal Oak is the real deal. My Miami native wife (where half of New York's Jews spend the winter) says they are as good as any she has had back home.

We have sold them at our farm market stand for the past several years. I pick them up right out of the oven (right next to the boiling water bath) at 02:00 and have them back and ready for my wife ot leave for the market at 04:00. Spend 2 hours driving back from the Detroit burbs with 30 dozen hot from the oven bagels sometime Big Grin. Of course I do some quality control on the way back.

Only do that once a month as it's a 4 hour round trip.

I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the suggestion

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by tuumunz:
After the bagel posts are done.,i will explain the whole process of of catching,killing harvesting,cutting and boiling all the ingredient's from a pork head's to make world class head cheese.

I was taught from my grandma,who came from southern Russia in 1912.

You can start a new thread anytime. No need to wait. Smile

Don't know about your experience, but in my travels to and through Germany over the years, I came across some MIGHTY good head cheese. Not to mention a whole raft of other wurst types. BTW, Wurst = cold cuts

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fvyellowbird:
I miss being able to get a decent bagel down here vs in NJ.

Same here in central Florida.
I have had bagels sent by my parents to us from NJ more than once. We vacuum seal them than freeze them.
We even had a pizza mailed to us once from NJ.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2572 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
NJ has very few things going for it. A good bagel shop on just about every corner is one of them. Of course you have the ocean and surprisingly hunting is not that bad. But yeah, bagels. You don't appreciate them till you can't get them. Frown

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
There aren't many good bagels in Houston.

We go to NY Bagel Shop off Braeswood on Hillcroft in Meyerland for breakfast once in a while and their bagels are pretty good.

Bagels and Lox from Kenny & Ziggy's are great too. The Lox is spectacular and it ought to be at $40 lb.

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
NYC bagels are fantastic. We do have a local bagel shop that does a damn good job thankfully (BlackHills Bagels) although they use the steam then bake approach.

Had a discussion about bagels with a friend in Atlanta recently. He won't enter a bagel shop unless he knows they make salt bagels. My gawd! If cinnamon-raisin are an abomination, salt-bagels are some pretzel lovers wet dream. Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Someone that used to work at Noah's Bagels (before they sold out to Einsteins) once explained to me why their bagels, steamed, were so soft and fluffy; corporate wanted to not only sell bagels, but bagel sandwiches for breakfast and lunch.

Give me an honest-to-goodness NY bagel, boiled instead of steamed.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
For those of you in southeast MI, New York Bagel in Royal Oak is the real deal. My Miami native wife (where half of New York's Jews spend the winter) says they are as good as any she has had back home.

We have sold them at our farm market stand for the past several years. I pick them up right out of the oven (right next to the boiling water bath) at 02:00 and have them back and ready for my wife ot leave for the market at 04:00. Spend 2 hours driving back from the Detroit burbs with 30 dozen hot from the oven bagels sometime Big Grin. Of course I do some quality control on the way back.

Only do that once a month as it's a 4 hour round trip.

Brad, maybe a little help but New York also has a store in West Bloomfield, east side of Orchard Lake Rd. about 2 1/2 miles north of I-696. Occasionally I will make a road trip there, most assuredly on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8107 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
The obnoxious San Fran author from the 2nd link in OP's post needs an ass whooping for this line alone.
quote:
eight out of ten serial killers went wrong can be traced back to the first time they tried a blueberry bagel or a bagel topped with cheese and jalapeños
There is a pretty decent bagel shop in Panther Creek and the owners are from Brooklyn.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
My son used to bring bagels from Bagel Works on 1st ave on the upper east side whenever he came to see me. My daugnter would bring pizza. Now I wait and binge when I go home. You can’t beat NY bagels and pizza.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
" It makes all bagels taste exactly mediocre."

some day maybe I'll find a shop that manages to exceed that sad level. I'm way too familiar with what he means by 'mediocre' in bagel realm.

I've always looked forward to finding a bagel worthy of the praise. The very best I've had can hardly represent reason for the enthusiasm of bagel fans.

After numerous rave reviews by serious dog fans, the disappointment of Nathan's despite being air freighted in a couple times, such frenzy for local tastes are not as convincing.

Now if someone were willing and able to duplicate the true Ambrosia of a 1950s style vintage potato flour Spudnut deep fried to perfection, I would enthusiastically swarm to the counter to order a bagful.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Some How It's Made type show I saw said the water in Brooklyn has a lot to do with what it takes to make a legit Bagel. They do seem to taste different there.

Same with pizza crust.

I don't remember what it is exactly, but this has been looked at and, supposedly, corroborated.

It’s the water. I have a friend of mine who is a pizza chef. He moved from Ct to GA to open a pizza restaurant. in order to get the dough he wanted he had to truck water in from NY. He moved back shortly after and is still successful here in CT

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hehehe...a friend just told me a story about visiting friends in Florida (who were originally from NY). They took him somewhere for pizza that they said was "as good as back home". While eating my friend asked how long they'd been down here now, they said about twenty years. My friend said "Yeah must be at least that if you think this is good pizza". Big Grin

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
If you want to make good bagels at home try Peter Reinhart's recipe. It makes very good bagels.

I live in the middle of nowhere now but I lived in CT and worked in NYC for a number of years - late 90s. Got my bagels from H&H usually - before the owners screwed up. So I feel I know my bagels.

https://www.epicurious.com/rec.../views/bagels-366757

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:

You have to log in to see the recipe. Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We make do with Big Apple Bagels in Lutz.

They're fresh.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PeterGV
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are a couple of good places in Brookline, Massachusetts, too.
Wow. Crazy correlation between places with good bagels and bad guns laws.

Coincidence? Let’s hope so...

Posts: 1318 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:

You have to log in to see the recipe. Frown

Interesting - I don't have to log in. Anyway, here is another link

https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-bagels-100512

and another

https://leitesculinaria.com/29272/recipes-bagels.html

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post