SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why bagels are boiled
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why bagels are boiled Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Some How It's Made type show I saw said the water in Brooklyn has a lot to do with what it takes to make a legit Bagel. They do seem to taste different there.

Same with pizza crust.

I don't remember what it is exactly, but this has been looked at and, supposedly, corroborated.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/TGs8LUZIgco

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by mrmn50:
quote:
Some How It's Made type show I saw said the water in Brooklyn has a lot to do with what it takes to make a legit Bagel. They do seem to taste different there.

Get outa town Confused

Water is piped to Brooklyn from Breikhat Hashiloah, just outside of the old city, and the water originates from Mayan ha'Gihon.

Pretty sure it's a true story...

Now, that I believe. Wink

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Good one... Water comes from the Catskill watersheds.

Ashokan is one of my favs.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
quote:

Get outa town Confused

Water is piped to Brooklyn from Breikhat Hashiloah, just outside of the old city, and the water originates from Mayan ha'Gihon.

Pretty sure it's a true story...

Now, that I believe. Wink

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tuesday was gone when I told her my name is the breeze.
posted Hide Post
After the bagel posts are done.,i will explain the whole process of of catching,killing harvesting,cutting and boiling all the ingredient's from a pork head's to make world class head cheese.

I was taught from my grandma,who came from southern Russia in 1912.

Posts: 1796 | Location:  | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tuumunz:
After the bagel posts are done.,i will explain the whole process of of catching,killing harvesting,cutting and boiling all the ingredient's from a pork head's to make world class head cheese.

I was taught from my grandma,who came from southern Russia in 1912.

You can start a new thread anytime. No need to wait. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8960 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Two back in my old home town in NJ still boils them. They have lines out the door in the morning.

Working the night tour we would get them hot off the line. 5AM break.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
My grandparents lived in a Russian-Polish Jewish "ghetto" area in Brooklyn. It seemed that there was a mom-and-pop bagel bakery on every block. They were usually down a few steps from street level, kind of a half-basement, with walk-up apartments upstairs.

Later in life, I lived in a different area in Brooklyn. It was a tradition, after a night of drinking and cavorting with the guys, to stop for fresh baked bagels on the way home, in the early hours of the morning.

I never made it home with a full dozen.

Can't find a decent bagel in the Orlando area. Manhattan Bagels used to be a fairly decent chain, but they got swallowed up by Einstein Bros. and the bagels there are really fourth rate. Even Dunkin Donuts bagels are better than Einstein.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As much as love a good NY bagels, I've become a fan of the Montreal bagels from St-Viateur bagels

Posts: 172 | Registered: August 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In case it has not been said yet, bagels are boiled to give them their proper 'tug' (when taking a bite) and 'chew' properties.

Posts: 3480 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

Same with pizza crust.

I don't remember what it is exactly, but this has been looked at and, supposedly, corroborated.

It's the mineral content the coastal NE US water. By the time you get to Albany NY the magic is gone. Confused

Some places down south have water shipped in to make the dough. It's the only way to get that authentic thin crust texture and taste. The only place I've been outside of the NE that has anything close in terms of crust quality is New Orleans.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Makes sense, Brooklyn and the Big Easy are similarly skanky. ^

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
By the time you get to Albany NY the magic is gone. Confused

In more ways than one. Wink

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
Makes me wonder if I've ever had a proper bagel.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5283 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reminds me when young and dumb I used to drive a cab in NY there was a bagel shop on Broadway and 72nd. When the red gumball light would go off it meant "fresh bagels dump" and ALL the cabs would be double parked to get a baker's dozen. Me included.

What I do nowadays (no longer in NYC), when I get a halfway decent dozen fresh bagels is immediately ziplock bag and freeze the ones I will not be eating shortly. Seems to keep pretty well when defrosted and toasted. Keeps for up to 2 weeks if needed.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
Two back in my old home town in NJ still boils them. They have lines out the door in the morning.

Working the night tour we would get them hot off the line. 5AM break.

Bagels-4-U in Short Hills, NJ by any chance? They're the 'real deal' for sure!!

Posts: 3480 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good bagels is one of the good things in NewYohkistahn. Second Ammendment laws, not so much.

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
In case it has not been said yet, bagels are boiled to give them their proper 'tug' (when taking a bite) and 'chew' properties.

"Tug." I like that. Good way to describe it! I try to tell friends that a place like Panera Bread doesn't do bagels properly because they lack that quality (among others) but it's difficult to describe unless you've already had a boiled one.

Posts: 386 | Registered: November 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaaron11:

In Alabama? Probably not. Frown

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:
Originally posted by jaaron11:

In Alabama? Probably not. Frown
Definitely not in Alabama. If it's not fried or smoked, it's not fit to serve here.

Still, I've lived in a number of other places and traveled quite a bit, and I don't remember ever seeing the blistered bagel surface described in article. There was a grocery store in Tucson, of all places, that made bagels with the perfect chewy texture. Best I've found so far, but I'll keep looking.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5283 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
“…Bagels are notoriously known for containing empty calories, which means no fiber and few nutrients…”

This guy has his priorities all wrong. Bagels are to enjoy! He can go suck on his Melba toast.

www.dailymail.co.uk/health/art...toppings-grains.html

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8960 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post