SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bad knees as I age/ but new cures.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bad knees as I age/ but new cures. Login/Join 
Banned
posted
Anyone know anything about the "new" way of fixing the bone on bone feeling in your knees? If I bend I get that crunchy feeling in my knees. If I stand for very long not moving it's painful. The new treatment I mentioned is apparently some sort of cushion they put in your knee to replace what has worn out or disentegrated over time. Curious if it works.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had the Gel injections 3 times. They last me about 18 to 24 months.So far the injections have been great.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4283 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
Moderate weight training will help with that. I've torn cartilage in both of mine from football.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4836 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I had a series of 3 injections in my bad knee, twice. I tore the cartilage playing football when I was in college and never had anything done about it (doctor phobia). Over the years it deteriorated and now I have bone-on-bone plus osteoarthritis in that knee. The first time, the injections made a noticeable difference. The second time, not so much. The series were about 10 months apart, IIRC. Also, the 2nd time around my insurance didn't pay nearly as much of the cost as it did the first time. I didn't bother going back a third time. I have an aluminum/velcro brace that I wear under my pants most days. It helps a lot, but eventually I'm going to have to have the joint replaced.

Posts: 7274 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm going to be seeing a sports orthopedic doc on Tuesday for my right knee. It's "gone out" on me four times in the last year, three of those within the last six weeks, two of those within the last week.

It's a funny thing. Doesn't happen under load/stress. It happens when I straighten the leg after stepping over something or, in one case, after going to put my foot down after having it up on a step, tying a shoelace. Something goes *pop*, I feel a very sharp pain just below the kneecap, then the entire knee and the area all around it subsequently swells up something fierce.

I suspect it's fallout from one of two injuries to that knee nine and eleven (?) years ago, for which I never saw the need to see a doc at the time. That might have been a bad call, but the thing seemed to recover just fine all on its own.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Going up stairs is slightly painful, but going down is alot worse.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Custom fit orthotics might provide some relief too. They did for me way back when I played basketball a lot.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5690 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve had two meniscus surgeries on the left knee. Doc says no more. Replacement is next. Hoping for an alternative as replacement seems radical.

Trying to nurse left knee along with brace. Good days and bad days.

Looking for alternative.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I've got bone on bone in both knees, my knee caps are rubbing on the bones. The shots have not worked, we are talking about partial knee replacements now.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6493 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Meloxicam is a miracle drug for me.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37120 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a partial knee replacement 2 years ago. My surgeon said I could do a donor cartilage plug with a 75 percent success rate or a partial with a 95+. Chose the ladder and never looked back.Surgery in the morning and was home that evening. Did the therapy and was back to work in 8 weeks. No pain now. It does get a little stiff if I stand too long on it, but I would do it again. I am very happy with it.

Posts: 602 | Location: NW Pa. USA | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Saw my orthopedic sports doc today. Initial diagnosis: "Meniscus tear, possible chronic ACL rupture." MRI scheduled a week from today. Follow-up with doc scheduled for two weeks from today.

Overall, he said, other than a touch of arthritis my knees look pretty good Smile

He cleared me to go back to doing leg workouts, except to lay off the leg extensions. (Leg extensions are hard on the knees and don't really provide any functional benefit. I already knew this. I just liked doing them Smile.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post