SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    President Reagan with a hunting rifle aboard Air Force One
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

President Reagan with a hunting rifle aboard Air Force One Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted
I was searching for info on a different photo of President Reagan and came across this one, from the Reagan Library.

C18587-24, President Reagan aiming a rifle at a window while flying aboard Air Force One during trip to California. 11/23/1983.

It's photos like this one that remind me why I felt good about most things when he was president. It would've been nice to have met him, shaken his hand, and just have a nice conversation with him, and maybe even a laugh or two.

Anyone have any additional info or context for this photo?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I'm going to assume the Secret Service agents cleared that bad boy before the Gip put the booger hook on it. Big Grin

Posts: 11392 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
He’s a lefty! Which sucks when the edge of the raised comb on a right handed rifle is digging into your cheek preventing you from getting a good cheek weld.

Posts: 10974 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks to me like he’s got a Weatherby, which is very fitting for a man from California.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5165 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BMR:
Looks to me like he’s got a Weatherby, which is very fitting for a man from California.

My thoughts also; a Weatherby. Maybe a .270 Weatherby Magnum.

Posts: 3225 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
I'm going to assume the Secret Service agents cleared that bad boy before the Gip put the booger hook on it. Big Grin

I wonder what a .30 caliber hole through the side of the airplane would do? I would guess it would stay a small hole, but it would certainly let a lot of the air out. But, yeah, I would assume someone made sure there were no shells in it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

I wonder what a .30 caliber hole through the side of the airplane would do? I would guess it would stay a small hole, but it would certainly let a lot of the air out.

If it's anything like those 1970's "Airport" disaster movies, papers and debris will be flying all over the place and its quite possible a stewardess would be sucked out of the plane.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:

I wonder what a .30 caliber hole through the side of the airplane would do? I would guess it would stay a small hole, but it would certainly let a lot of the air out.

If it's anything like those 1970's "Airport" disaster movies, papers and debris will be flying all over the place and its quite possible a stewardess would be sucked out of the plane.

Unless it was one of those "Airport" movies about the Concorde in which case you could just open the side panel cockpit window and shoot out a flare from a flare gun without issue.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1959 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BMR:

Well, it used to be.

Posts: 13283 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:

[shirleybassey] GoldFINGERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR [/shirleybassey]

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15903 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
And here I thought the title of this thread was the answer to the Game of “Clue” whodonit.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2703 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:

I wonder what a .30 caliber hole through the side of the airplane would do? I would guess it would stay a small hole, but it would certainly let a lot of the air out. But, yeah, I would assume someone made sure there were no shells in it.
A .30” hole would do nothing but make noise. The pressurization system dump valve in the tail area of the aircraft dumps out way more than a .30 hole ever would. Now if the .30 hole was in the window and it caused the window to shatter and depart (I have no idea whether it would or not) a window sized hole might get a little more sporty…

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I'm sure, back then, if Roy Weatherby knew that this rifle was going to President Reagan It would be fitted with a left hand stock in the most gorgeous Walnut or Maple you could imagine.

Posts: 4631 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
A .30” hole would do nothing but make noise. The pressurization system dump valve in the tail area of the aircraft dumps out way more than a .30 hole ever would. Now if the .30 hole was in the window and it caused the window to shatter and depart (I have no idea whether it would or not) a window sized hole might get a little more sporty…

Just a bullet hole no problem according to the MBs. Blowing out the whole window, bit of a problem. Blowing out side of the plane, well...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16369 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:

. . . its quite possible a stewardess would be sucked out . . .

Or vice versa had it been the Clinton Administration.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
How do we know the plane was airborne at the time, and not just sitting on the tarmac?

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8530 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
He is aiming it at his favorite reporter.

All’s fair in love and war.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
And here I thought the title of this thread was the answer to the Game of “Clue” whodonit.

Big Grin

Yeah, I guess my subject line leaves something to be desired.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chbibc:
How do we know the plane was airborne at the time, and not just sitting on the tarmac?

I considered that also.

quote:
Originally posted by Redhookbklyn:

He is aiming it at his favorite reporter.

As the photo was taken during the Cold War I was thinking he might be taking aim at "Ivan". Wink

If you skim through photos of President Reagan you find him in a number of them posing with props. There is one where he is wearing a football helmet while wearing a suit, one in which he is posing with a lifelike cardboard cut-out of himself, one in which he is posing with a giant Sara Lee cake, and yet another in which he is riding a large wooden rocking horse inside the Oval Office.

It's clear he had a good sense of humor, didn't take himself so seriously that he couldn't laugh at himself too...and that he was comfortable using props as a way to create laughter. This is why I won't chide him for pointing a rifle at an aircraft window with his finger on the trigger.

I'm guessing that either he, or someone else cleared the rifle first and also that he saw the rifle as another opportunity at a gag.

From what I've heard, President Reagan knew the basics of gun handling.

Years ago I caught an interview with a Secret Service agent that I believe was either on his personal detail, or in service at the time.

Apparently Reagan would occasionally walk his California ranch and point out various rattlesnakes to the agents in tow, before blasting them with a SAA. The agents were duly impressed with the President's sharpshooting skills... but, little did they know he was using snake shot...and he led them on for quite a while. Wink

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
30 cal might not even go through in this scenario. It is Air Force One after all.

Posts: 11392 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post