SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Being strongly urged to take my first vacation in 6 years…
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Being strongly urged to take my first vacation in 6 years… Login/Join 
The Ice Cream Man
posted
(And the first one without my ex in a longer time)

I’m not seeing anyone I’d take on vacation - I don’t seem to get close to women, anymore.

I traveled quite a bit over the US, and live in Miami Beach, and Charleston.

It would be in May, or August, most likely.

Thinking about 2 weeks to a month - might just end up going to the farm for a month or two, but I need some time away.

Europe is still in lock down, from what I heard.

I could do some long weekend trips around the Caribbean, but I’m not sure what they have to offer that oceanfront in Miami Beach does not.

Costa Rica?

Would Singapore/Tokyo be open?

Posts: 5741 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Island of Palms is one of my favorite places. Wink

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I don’t think being within bicycle distance of a store really counts as a vacation.

Posts: 5741 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
It's a trap, they want to give away your desk Razz

Enjoy - have fun, get some hiking shoes/boots and go explore. Wink

Personally though, I'd head to London and see the tower then a day trip up to see Windsor Castle - but then there's whole C-19 frenzy...

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I don't know if it is your thing or not, but I find that a 3-4 week trip to the middle of nowhere resets my head quite well. 65.2370N, 150.1810W was probably my favorite get away. Did 28 days there with the dog once. A great reset.

I hunted bears from this island for 3 weeks once, and ended up snowed in for a week. 60.3605N, 148.2138W That was a good reset also.

Get out, like WAAY out. It works for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alaska, go see the glaciers, by May weather should be decent.

Posts: 3597 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRBTX:
Alaska, go see the glaciers, by May weather should be decent.
Funny you say that, the week I got snowed in on that island was the second week of May. Three years prior, we got 3 feet over memorial day weekend at our cabin in Hatcher's Pass.

"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
I don’t think being within bicycle distance of a store really counts as a vacation.

Okay, fine I'll give you a real answer then.

One of my favorite memories from childhood was a camping trip, a really, really big one. My grandma and I left from the DC Metro area headed north west then west across the country, then returned along the southern portion of the US, then back to mid Atlantic. 30 days, 6,600mi, dozens and dozens of sights/sites. We camped the entire trip except one planned hotel stay and one day of monsoon rain before we could set camp. Did it all out of an extremely packed mid 80's Toyota Camry.

I never knew there were so many stars in the sky, out west is so beautiful. My favorite places were Mt Rushmore, the four corners area, and riding the Silverton Durango train.

So my suggestion is a really long road trip or camping trip (if you're interested in that sort of thing).

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Europe (with a couple of exceptions) has been out of lockdown for a month.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Find a cabin in the boonies in TN. Or a hidden lake in the Yoop.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I would suggest that you don't go to remote places alone. You don't want to find yourself in a situation where you have to chew off your arm to have to save yourself. Other then that, the sky's the limit. Big Grin

Posts: 3386 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
I would suggest that you don't go to remote places alone. You don't want to find yourself in a situation where you have to chew off your arm to have to save yourself. Other then that, the sky's the limit. Big Grin

That's a large part of what made it worth it...but to assuage the family, I took along a SPOT the first time (which failed and freaked everyone out prompting a 5 hour drive by my brother to come verify my existence, SPOT sucks btw), and an inreach since (which works perfect, everywhere).

www.rikrlandvs.com

probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I was thinking more along the lines of this video.

He Had To Cut Off His Own Arm or Die

Posts: 3386 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Six years WTF? THe farm sounds good to me but I love simple.

Posts: 3925 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m happy you have the vacation time and resources.

Are you Ok? Being strongly urged is concerning.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I never married and live alone (with 5 cats) but I do a fair amount of travel. When younger I would do long auto trips, with a lot of sightseeing along the way. Usually there was some place designated as a destination, but not always. Now that I am a lot older, I don't feel safe driving long distances alone. My travels are via canned guided tours, and I've seen some great places that way. Being free to ride in a coach or train and take photos along the route is a wonderful thing. The planned stops also are good places to visit, and there is adequate time for relaxation, too.

I am set to do a 3-week tour of western National Parks this coming September, with a company I've traveled with 4 times previously (3 times to Alaska). I expect to enjoy it a lot. I did a somewhat similar tour back in 2009, but it was only 16 days and didn't cover quite as much. The new tour will visit several places I've not been to before, and some that I have.

A lot of canned tours also have provisions for traveler-chosen activities within the bounds of the tour--hiking, specific excursions, water activities--a lot of options, depending on the tour and where it takes placce.

One advantage of a planned accompanied tour is that one is not alone and assistance is available should some unexpected incident occur. As one ages, that is an important consideration.

I could recommend a couple of excellent tour companies that I have used in the past and enjoyed their offerings very much:

Insight Vacations. Special tour coaches with only 40 seats and nice on-board bathrooms. Great variety of tours, both US and overseas.

John Hall's Alaska. They specialize in Alaska tours, but do have others. Very competent, helpful guides/drivers, excellent overnight hotels, good food.

Avalon Waterways (now part of Globus). Terrific river cruises on boats with only a few hundred guests, and always something to see while cruising between port calls. Lots of wonderful river cruises, I've done 2 in Europe.

You can't go wrong with any of those tour companies. Disclaimer: I do not work for or have any financial benefit with any of those companies.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Maybe not your thing, but I would do a Disney resort, even if you didn’t do a single park. Maybe renting DVC points. Something like Animal Kingdom Lodge/Jambo/Kidani or Wilderness Lodge/Copper Creek.

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Go to The Chicken, then Blue Bell and watch some baseball!

HK Ag

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DC3S
posted Hide Post
Discover America tour.

Pack the car, go on a road trip for a month.

"Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."

Posts: 210 | Location: FL USA | Registered: February 03, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
$4.00 gas isn’t conducive to a driving tour, but, combining the last two posts…How about a baseball park tour? MLB or AAA, both would be pretty cool

Posts: 13277 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post