SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Android to iOS switch
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Android to iOS switch Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
Would've preferred to stay with Android but the iPhone makes more sense for a few reasons. How much of a pain is it to get my apps and more importantly my contacts migrated?

Posts: 13829 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
Should be a piece of cake as I've done it before. Download the Android app "Switch to iOS" before you set up your iPhone and it'll automate most of the process.

Posts: 3535 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
While you can find apps on iOS that will provide the same functionality as almost any app you can use on Android, in a lot of cases, they aren't the SAME apps. Depending on what you use, you may have to find a similar app and there may not be any way to transfer existing data or settings.

There are a few things you can do on Android that you can't do on iOS because of Apple's restrictive software design. Those tend to be pretty techy things, though.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's link:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/switch-to-iphone/

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13490 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
As I tell each of the members of my family, if you keep all your contacts in Google Contacts (as opposed to just locally on the device or something proprietary) you'll never have any issues with losing or converting them.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've thought of making the same switch, as I no longer trust Android any more than I do MS-Windows, but I have quite a number of paid apps, and apps I use that, last I looked, have no iThing analog :/

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
As I tell each of the members of my family, if you keep all your contacts in Google Contacts (as opposed to just locally on the device or something proprietary) you'll never have any issues with losing or converting them.

That's what I do - Google contacts. When I got my iphone, I downloaded microsoft outlook and the contacts were populated with my Google contacts.

Yes, I still have the google mail and calendar apps also. But it just gives me choices.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20023 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I used google contacts so looks like I'm in the clear.

Posts: 13829 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
While you can find apps on iOS that will provide the same functionality as almost any app you can use on Android, in a lot of cases, they aren't the SAME apps. Depending on what you use, you may have to find a similar app and there may not be any way to transfer existing data or settings.

And there are some apps that exist on both OS's, from the same vendor, but have different features or work differently due to the OS differences. For about a year I owned an Android phone, but I still used the iPhone as my main phone. I didn't have any problem finding apps with similar or close functionality, but as maladat says, you might have to set it up from scratch. I don't have any really specialized apps, however.

Posts: 10876 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post