SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fun things to do in Charleston SC?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fun things to do in Charleston SC? Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
Just as the threat title states I would like some recommendations for fun things to do while in Charleston SC.

I am thinking visiting Fort Sumter and maybe touring the USS Yorktown aircraft carrier would be fun.

We had dinner in the French quarter last night and walked over to Battery Park. The houses next to Battery Park are just incredible!!!

What are some fun things you like doing in Charleston?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21245 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Definitely do Sumter.

Eat here http://acmelowcountrykitchen.com/

Visit THIS PLACE at sunrise. Don't Google it, don't rent a boat (it's the wrong place). Just follow the directions and walk to the beach. Just make sure it's low or mid tide and falling. If it's high tide and you won't be able to walk on the beach.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21179 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Have dinner at Poogan's Porch, which is where my wife and I had dinner on our tenth anniversary. Charleston is a fantastic food town.

Take a carriage ride as well.

Posts: 109259 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
secure the Blessings of Liberty
Picture of rackrack
posted Hide Post
You may find a visit to the Hunley exhibit to be interesting, depending on how long you'll be in Charleston as they're only open on Saturday and Sunday.

https://www.hunley.org/

Posts: 1463 | Location: NC | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Ghost tours are a lot of fun.
We used Bulldog tours or something like that and they did a really good job.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25721 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
We went to Charleston for the first time in November. Here are some of the activities we really liked.

2 Sisters walking tour
Charleston Ghost and Graveyard tour
Harbor Cruise
Plantation Tour
Theater 99 improv comedy show

Tons of great places to eat

Posts: 2736 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
We were on vacation at Isle of Palms, right near Charleston back in 2014 and I still regret not getting the chance to see this:

The Hunley Project

Posts: 34726 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of uvahawk
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend the Charleston Museum on Meeting Street, which has a number of interesting exhibits, including quite a few likely to interest members of Sigforum. Interesting natural history exhibits.

Posts: 231 | Location: Low Country, South Carolina | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too recommend the Museum on Meeting Street, too many good eating spots to mention but Halls Chop House is a personal fav. Don't be tempted to see the Aquarium, a total disappointment for me and way way over priced IMO.

Posts: 1000 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was there at the end of Feb....can't wait to go back.

Good eats
Husk - arguably best restaurant in Charleston, multiple award winner, impressive whisky/bourbon selection. Eat at bar if booked up.
Fig - if you can't get into Husk, Fig is a long-time standard for the area of nice dining
Rodney Scott's BBQ - whole hog bbq, great ribs too
Lewis BBQ - Texas-style bbq, cool location. John Lewis is a protege of Aaron Franklin.
Bowen's Island Restaurant - Classic shrimp shack outside of town, wrap around porch to relax and take in the river breeze.
The Ordinary - owned by Fig, upscale casual seafood bar
The Obstinate Daughter - Broad menu in upscale location out at Sullivan's Island.
Porchetta Shop - great roast pork sandos
Edmund's Oast Brewing Co - fun outdoor gastro pub, lots of seating.
Clarks's Coffee - solid coffee spot

Attractions
Fort Sumter
USS Yorktown
CSS Hunley

This message has been edited. Last edited by: corsair,

Posts: 15109 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you get a chance, definitely check out the Charleston City Market. It’s got some awesome local shops and food stalls. Also, I loved walking around the historic district—there’s so much charm in those old houses! If you’re into nature, Magnolia Plantation and Gardens is stunning.

in the 'Merica Navy they teach you to go pew pew pew...
Luckily in the PNW they taught me to go BANG BANG BANG

Posts: 100 | Registered: November 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5224 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Beautiful town, lots of great food. One fun thing not to do is take a tractor trailer downtown. Delivered a load of those red paving stone bricks all the way down Meeting Str. and then back up Battery. Horses were looking at me like WTF.

Posts: 3813 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was timely. Going to paras recommend on the way down and gonna hit that fat list on the way back!

Posts: 1767 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
When I was at the MUSC I lived on Folly Beach, and had breakfast almost daily at the Lost Dog cafe. Great recipes and about as casual as anyplace can get. Bonus is you're at the beach.

Just food for thought if you want to get off the island.

Posts: 2048 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Mount Pleasant

Jack's Cosmic Dogs

Page's Okra Grill

The Wreck Of The Richard And Charlene

Poe's Tavern

Post House

Home Team BBQ

In Charleston, you can take in a minor league baseball game.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5224 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
The International African American Museum is worth checking out.

Posts: 2060 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys for the recommendations! This city is amazing. Two days is not enough time to enjoy this place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21245 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Halls chophouse and Hanks seafood are the two best restaurants there. Charleston crab house is good too. Walking around the slave market/downtown area is very nice. Lots of art galleries and other shops. The Horse and carriage ride was the best thing I've done there, the driver tells so much about the history of Charleston. One of the water tours is very nice too.

Posts: 21418 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the Laffey--the Destroyer that wouldn't die--next ship over to Yorktown.
We ate at a roadside Food truck that was recommended by the volunteers on the Yorktown.

Posts: 2378 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post