SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Consequences of shooting someone in your home {other than emotional and legal}
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Consequences of shooting someone in your home {other than emotional and legal} Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Let me ask you guys- If someone told you that there was usually a high financial tariff for having to shoot someone in defense of your life or property, would you hesitate to act at the critical moment, due to this information?

Defend yourself, defend your loved ones, defend your homes. Don't mind-fuck yourself into hesitating at the critical moment.

This blather about how much it costs you yadda yadda- this stuff does you no good. It can only hurt you.

Bingo! I was thinking the same thing. I hope no one reading this thread, when it comes down to it at that moment, hesitates and says, "Hmmm, I remember that SF thread....".

Then, *BANG*, you are dead. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 27513 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
^^^Exactly. If you don't live through the encounter, none of the other costs matter. If you do, they are just the cost of living to see another day.

Posts: 9798 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tools borrowed by neighbors will suddenly be returned

I appreciate the humor. That was funny.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sweet Chuckie
posted Hide Post
I've never been in a self defense situation, and probably never will. But I'm pretty sure if it ever happened, the only thing on my mind will be to stop the threat. The "after" is not a concern to me.

Posts: 250 | Location: White Sulphur Springs, MT | Registered: December 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any shots that miss the home invader could penetrate your walls and wind up in a neighbors home, which is why I went to a shotgun with buckshot for home defense.

Posts: 598 | Location: Glide, Oregon | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:

You're likely looking at $50K to $100K in legal fees for criminal court, and that's only if it was a good shoot.

Why does this keep getting repeated? In many (most) of the stories where an invader is shot in someone's home and it is, as you say a "good shoot" charges are not brought. Where are $50,000-$100,000 in legal fees being spent?

In the last few months, several would-be home robbers have been shot in this part of the world. (Houston, Texas - which votes Dem, but which also does not tolerate robbing. We shoot robbers here. And we like it that way.) I don't recall that any homeowners were charged. Being charged when a burglar is shot is not the rule in most cases in most places.

Contingency fee lawyers won't bring lawsuits in a good self-defense shooting. They aren't stupid and don't take losing cases. And the families of burglars can't afford to pay a legal fee for an extended civil lawsuit. Its contingency fee or nothing.

I feel pretty confident that if I shoot an intruder, the police will come around, take photos, maybe (maybe not) collect the gun, leave, and write reports. That's going to be about it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
in arizona if its a good shoot you are shielded by state law from a civil case

a good shoot is a good shoot

however you should be very careful about the ammo you use

its stressed here quite strongly that ball ammo is ONLY for target practice and that you should use a good hollow point as your defense load to prevent over-penetration of a possible stray round

I would imagine that if you used ball ammo and someone got hit by a round that went through a wall, good shoot or not, you still own the injury to the innocent

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53786 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Brooks:
Any shots that miss the home invader could penetrate your walls and wind up in a neighbors home, which is why I went to a shotgun with buckshot for home defense.

Ahhh, each one of those pellets is basically a .32 caliber bullet. See these videos for penetration of 00 buckshot and slug:

This video won't embed right, so here is the link to it:

Home Defense: Interior wall penetration test with 12 gauge shotgun

The best home defense weapon IMHO is an AR15 with a mounted light and loaded with urban rounds; we use Federal Tactical TRU 556 at work because it doesn't over penetrate.

Posts: 4054 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few questions. Anybody know the status of that kids hearing in OK that greased 3 turds in his house last week ? Used an AR. That had to be very loud.

Also. To what extent will my homeowners insurance and or liability umbrella policy cover me and my legal bills in a righteous shoot. Or even a good shoot that goes bad ? Assume I live in an uber liberal area. Assuming a good shoot and your not charged, your still gonna want a lawyer I would assume.

Posts: 4956 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
A few questions. Anybody know the status of that kids hearing in OK that greased 3 turds in his house last week ? Used an AR. That had to be very loud.

Also. To what extent will my homeowners insurance and or liability umbrella policy cover me and my legal bills in a righteous shoot. Or even a good shoot that goes bad ? Assume I live in an uber liberal area. Assuming a good shoot and your not charged, your still gonna want a lawyer I would assume.

Looks like you live in a very liberal city in a very liberal state with strict gun control laws and a very anti-self defense environment.
You probably do have something to fear from the locals.

Posts: 9798 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I listened to the 911 recording. He was hearing the dispatcher clearly, but that is not a hearing test. The recording showed the stress in his voice but I was impressed with his demeanor for a 23 year old in handling the situation. No hysterics, just statements that he was barricaded in the southeast bedroom and had a loaded AR 15 with him. He followed the dispatcher instructions well.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You should never feel the need, guys, to report a thread to me if you see that I'm already in the damn thing.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

thank you for my thursday giggle

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55177 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post