SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dow sell off pending?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dow sell off pending? Login/Join 
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L90814:
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
Anybody should be able to make money in this market, my Interactive Brokers account is up 175% in the last year, my Vanguard is up 71.8% in the last year.

Was it in mutual funds? If so, are you able to share which funds? Thank you for any tips.

I bought MRO and SLB when oil tanked last year. That I did on my own so I've made a good chunk from that. I also bought into uranium which it's not too late to get in to. Uranium still has a lot of upside. I bought some LIT too and that's done well. Here are a few, I had to open an Interactive Brokers account to buy some of those. Get on Twitter and follow people like Trader Ferg, John Quake, Yellowbull, Pinecone Macro - you can get good info, I bought BTU from free info off Twitter (can't recall who) and made 10k off that.
URA
AR
DNN
PALAF
BTU
SD
TVC
CNQ
SU
UEC

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very few saw the 2000 tech bubble collapse nor the 2008 banking crisis collapse. I didn't - and I lost roughly 35% of my portfolio both times. Given the unrelenting surge of the market, I have taken a more defensive position.

Fat pigs gets slaughtered.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Very few saw the 2000 tech bubble collapse nor the 2008 banking crisis collapse. I didn't - and I lost roughly 35% of my portfolio both times. Given the unrelenting surge of the market, I have taken a more defensive position.

what broadly diversified mutual funds trade lower now than after those events?

i was heavily invested during both those periods and did not 'get slaughtered'.

lose value for a time? of course. but long term outlook, proper asset allocation and diversification wins in the end.

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That expression is wildly over used. Fat pigs get slaughtered. Most people invest into broad mutual funds consistently over a long time period. Not even close to “fat pigs”. Market timers behavior more closely resembles fat pigs than the average investor.

Posts: 7500 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
if the market drops 15-20% the squealing of the pigs getting slaughtered will be significant Wink

if it gets worse than that. Bacon will be dirt cheap Big Grin

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by L90814:
quote:
Anybody should be able to make money in this market, my Interactive Brokers account is up 175% in the last year, my Vanguard is up 71.8% in the last year.

Was it in mutual funds? If so, are you able to share which funds? Thank you for any tips.

I bought MRO and SLB when oil tanked last year. That I did on my own so I've made a good chunk from that. I also bought into uranium which it's not too late to get in to. Uranium still has a lot of upside. I bought some LIT too and that's done well. Here are a few, I had to open an Interactive Brokers account to buy some of those. Get on Twitter and follow people like Trader Ferg, John Quake, Yellowbull, Pinecone Macro - you can get good info, I bought BTU from free info off Twitter (can't recall who) and made 10k off that.
URA
AR
DNN
PALAF
BTU
SD
TVC
CNQ
SU
UEC

Thank you very much for taking the time to gather all of that and entering it here for us!

Posts: 848 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammer1967
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’ve heard countless “experts” on talk shows and being interviewed talking like they were well aware and warned people of the 2008 collapse. That is horse hockey!

If Jesus would have had a gun he would be alive today. Homer Simpson
“Him plenty dead” Tonto

Posts: 1090 | Location: TN | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Very few saw the 2000 tech bubble collapse ...

Mmmm... More like very few acknowledged it was inevitable. More precisely: Very few that mattered. (Brokers, investors, and the like.)

Techies, like me, saw it coming. We watched in awestruck disbelief as DSL resellers sold subscriber circuits for prices so low they had to be losing money. (They were literally selling subscriber circuits for less than what it cost them to provision them. One reseller was actually quoted as saying "We'll make it up in volume." I kid you not. Many were operating entirely on venture capital.) Meanwhile broadband backbone companies were laying dark fiber right-and-left--with nobody to whom to sell the capacity to make it worthwhile lighting it up.

That was just the broadband aspect of the down-right insane investments we watched happen.

It was only a matter of time.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Very few saw the 2000 tech bubble collapse ...

Mmmm... More like very few acknowledged it was inevitable. More precisely: Very few that mattered. (Brokers, investors, and the like.)

Techies, like me, saw it coming. We watched in awestruck disbelief as DSL resellers sold subscriber circuits for prices so low they had to be losing money. (They were literally selling subscriber circuits for less than what it cost them to provision them. One reseller was actually quoted as saying "We'll make it up in volume." I kid you not. Many were operating entirely on venture capital.) Meanwhile broadband backbone companies were laying dark fiber right-and-left--with nobody to whom to sell the capacity to make it worthwhile lighting it up.

That was just the broadband aspect of the down-right insane investments we watched happen.

It was only a matter of time.

And if your company had a color, a noun and a dot com, my God it had to be the next BIG thing!

I was a little bit too young to be jaded enough to call it. But it was confusing and heady, so I certainly felt it. For every one Amazon.com, there were fifty thousand somethingelses.com

Posts: 11389 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post