SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dow sell off pending?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dow sell off pending? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
Our accounts are down about 2% and it's still early.

Talked to our money manager. "Open a bottle of bourbon and hang on. It will hurt but you'll be OK."

You do realize that your money manager gets paid based on what you have invested right? Go watch the scene in the wolf of wall street with Matthew McConaughey. Your money manager doesn't know what is going to happen next. What he does know if you get out he doesn't get to make his fees.

Posts: 800 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hildur:
quote:

Talked to our money manager. "Open a bottle of bourbon and hang on. It will hurt but you'll be OK."

You do realize that your money manager gets paid based on what you have invested right? Go watch the scene in the wolf of wall street with Matthew McConaughey. Your money manager doesn't know what is going to happen next. What he does know if you get out he doesn't get to make his fees.

Let me guess... Edward Jones??

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About a year ago, mid-October 2020, I was buying VGT for about $325/share. During this last little dip (Sept. 22nd) I was bought some for $410/share. Today it closed at $422/share.

It's not for everyone, it's expensive to buy and you have to believe 'Technology' is going to be with us whether we like it or not. VGT is a Technology theme based ETF. This isn't advice and I'm not a Financial advisor. I'm frequently wrong about stock and women.

Posts: 1453 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm frequently wrong about stock and women.

I'm always wrong about women! Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
And I'm frequently wronged by stocky women.

Posts: 32512 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe you should ask this guy.

A Crypto-Trading Hamster Performs Better Than Warren Buffett And The S&P 500

What if we told you there was a hamster who has been trading cryptocurrencies since June — and recently was doing better than Warren Buffett and the S&P 500?

Meet Mr. Goxx, a hamster who works out of what is possibly the most high-tech hamster cage in existence.
It's designed so that when Mr. Goxx runs on the hamster wheel, he can select among dozens of cryptocurrencies. Then, deciding between two tunnels, he chooses whether to buy or sell. According to the Twitch account for the hamster, his decision is sent over to a real trading platform — and yes, real money is involved.

Look, we're not telling you to follow in this hamster's financial decisions or that this process is scientific in any way. The human behind this hamster's account and money has not been made public.

But what we can tell you is his portfolio is up nearly 20% since he started trading in June, according to his Twitter account. And as of Sept. 12, Mr. Goxx was performing better than Bitcoin, the Nasdaq 100, Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway and the S&P 500.
While Mr. Goxx's methodology is random at best, it does remind us that where people get their financial advice from is certainly changing.

We've seen people getting tips from TikTok and from two kids in Baltimore.

And in recent years, there's been more stock-picking on Wall Street from bots. NPR's Planet Money even built its own in 2017 that invested money based off President Donald Trump's tweets.

link: https://www.npr.org/2021/09/25...arren-buffet-s-p-500

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I'm not so big on crypto right now. China is slamming the door on it (and a lot of crypto is mined in China.) I remember hearing a while back that India is doing similar. I figured at some point the governments would feel threatened by crypto, and drop the hammer.

https://www.reuters.com/world/...-trading-2021-09-24/

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
China's going to do what the US has been doing in these situations, come up with money to spackle over the financial hole, and everyone goes happily on their way.

quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Hard to say if the Evergrande thing is contained or just smoldering for a big blow up.

China has already put 120 billion yuan into Evergreen, while claiming publicly that it wouldn't bail them out.

Harry S. Truman

www.CrossCountryQuilting.com
"Deep in the heart of the Ozarks"

Posts: 3967 | Location: Boone County, Arkansas | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I'm not an idiot. We don't base our investments on scenes from movies.

Posts: 7020 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:

A money manager working for a bank doesn't know, but a good Financial Advisor does know what will happen long run.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many sources said a good Financial Advisor would charge a flat fee and wouldn't receive commissions based on your investments. Most of those types seemed to recommend Boglehead type recommendations for investing: 70/30 index funds and bonds or target funds.

Next I heard the really good Financial Advisors only accept clients with more at least one to ten million to invest. There do seem to be some advisors that do lots of financial and retirement management well.

Posts: 2368 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:
Next I heard the really good Financial Advisors only accept clients with more at least one to ten million to invest. There do seem to be some advisors that do lots of financial and retirement management well.

My financial advisor went for quite a while only accepting a $1 Million dollar minimum investment but when his son decided he wanted to come in and learn the business, the minimum was lowered, then dropped as he wanted the kid to learn about smaller investors as well.

He's very good at financial and retirement management.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
And even the worst financial advisors have had better than decent rUN for the last twelve or thirteen years.
That is why anyone managing their own portfolio has been able to do as good without paying their advisors a healthy fee for doing the same thing.
Ymmv.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
The market always has a sell off pending.

You cannot time the market so get in, hang on and enjoy the ride.

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Say what you will, my advisor has gotten me 9.52 percent net over the last 10 years. Yes, I pay her. Yes, she is worth every penny.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
This market is due for a solid 10% (maybe even 15%) correction! Just Sayin'... Wink

It is well on its way.

I disagree. Typical September for the market. Day traders beware. Hold tight and look for bargains.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5909 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:

A money manager working for a bank doesn't know, but a good Financial Advisor does know what will happen long run.

Its still a guess, if they all really knew why would they need customers? They'd just invest their own money. There's always a few that guess correctly but there's many more that don't. Some things can be predicted but many can't (who saw covid coming?).

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vanguard Index Funds 10 year avg annual return:

SP500: 14.8%
Total Mkt: 14.7%
Extended Mkt: 14%

expense ratios around .05%

load up on these long-term with adequate cash and maybe a total bond fund.

don't need to pay an advisor. they don't know anything you can't read in the WSJ.

----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
Vanguard Index Funds 10 year avg annual return:

SP500: 14.8%
Total Mkt: 14.7%
Extended Mkt: 14%

expense ratios around .05%

load up on these long-term with adequate cash and maybe a total bond fund.

don't need to pay an advisor. they don't know anything you can't read in the WSJ.

----------------------------------------

I agree with this post, but...
Leaves 2 unanswered questions...
1] How do you decide what % of your retirement to put in stocks and what % in bonds?
2] Which "total bond fund" ?? There are many and some are better than others.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
The equity (stock) vs Bond percentage is solely based on your investing window and risk aversion. The closer to retirement the more bond percentage you should have. If retirement is imminent you should be at 50-50 or 40-60. Ymmv

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post