SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Police Academy/swearing in present?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Police Academy/swearing in present? Login/Join 
in the end karma
always catches up
posted
My son is graduating the Police Academy in May and being sworn in the following Monday what would be a good present?

Thanks

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I gave my son a Glock 43 for his off duty gun . He would have had to buy something anyway .

Posts: 4056 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to your son

This is a hard question because every dept is different regarding uniforms, equipment etc..

I always appreciated flashlights (nice bail out light for the pocket or a nice tactical light)

An off duty weapon is a nice purchase but yet again it depends on the dept rules/regs.

I always give a nice clipboard and ink pen.

It sounds crazy but I always liked having a nice ink pen set to write reports, investigate traffic accidents and issue traffic warnings. (I wrote very few citations).

I went to one graduation, and a newly sworn in Officer got a nice set of handcuffs and a Firefighter application from a buddy. Everyone got a great laugh out of it.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
As stated it depends on the dept regulations/GOs. Flashlights/Knives are always good but I usually use cheaper items vs nicer brands in case they are damaged or lost. That said, a backup/off duty gun would my vote.

ETA -

1) An updated/longer handcuff key vs the standard one.

2) If not provided, a second wallet just for a badge/credentials.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2673 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Whenever I had new rookies for training. I told them not to spend money on a spare gun, as they might find after a year they don’t like policing, plus guns are expensive and rookies were usually broke after the academy.

I told them to buy three things:

-A small flashlight to wear on your belt-even though I always carried my big flashlight, you can drop it in a chase.

-An extra set of cuffs and case, you might get more than one guy to arrest, or he might be huge and you link them together

-We had a “blue book” in NC(SC too) that had the most common charges, available at law enforcement supply store.dunno if they have that where he’s gonna be policing, but asking a Sgt might clear it up. It was super handy to break down the elements of each charge.

After someone grabbed my gun I began carrying a push knife, so I’d recommend a kamarabit or a push knife. (Cold steel safemakerII)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A good back-up gun. Again, find out what he can carry per department regulations. Maybe a weapons mounted light.

Honestly, I use my Leatherman more than anything else. Can't go wrong with that as a gift. A good pocket knife as well.

A second pair of handcuffs! ALWAYS carry 2 pair.

And most importantly, tell him Congrats!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8345 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I carry a gerber multi-tool. Blunt tip needle nose in black. The most used tool on my belt by far. I carry it in a single stack spare mag pouch behind my duty gun.

A good pocket knife or a back-up gun would be excellent choices as well.

quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
A good back-up gun. Again, find out what he can carry per department regulations. Maybe a weapons mounted light.

Honestly, I use my Leatherman more than anything else. Can't go wrong with that as a gift. A good pocket knife as well.

A second pair of handcuffs! ALWAYS carry 2 pair.

And most importantly, tell him Congrats!

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would second the Leatherman, the stoutest, lightest one they make. He will eventually pick his own guns and knives.

Posts: 3596 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
As others have said it depends a lot on department regulations and what equipment he is issued. Both vary a lot by department.

-a back up/off duty gun would be great. I'd probably take him and let him pick it out unless you know what he wants.

-a good small flashlight he can keep in a pocket or somewhere on his belt/uniform

-maybe a set of handcuffs with his badge number engraved on them so if he leaves them on a prisoner he hands off to someone else he can get them back

-as others have said a Leatherman cold be handy. I never used one much but it's handy to have when you do need it

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AzMikeCFD102
posted Hide Post
A photograph with your son, Mom and yourself, along with the Mayor and Police Chief at the ceremony. Put it in a great looking frame and that gift will be cherished long after he is retired.

I cherish mine.

MAGA

NRA
Gun Owners of America

Posts: 388 | Location: Tucson, Az | Registered: August 17, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If there is a uniform store (physical or online) that stocks a variety of Police items that he likes, a gift certificate would be good. In that way, he can choose how to spend it once he has a better idea of what his needs will be as he sequences through the Academy.

His graduation from the Academy would be a better time to memorize a gift in my opinion.

Posts: 1452 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'll second the suggestion for a pocket flashlight, or a multitool.

Before you go getting something like handcuffs/knives engraved with his badge number, make sure his agency doesn't have shifting badge numbers. Some agencies assign badge numbers based on stuff like shift, or division, or assignment, or rank, and if you change any of those your badge number changes too.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In getting a gift for our kid’s academy graduation we went a different way. Our kid is a gifted photographer so we gave a camera lens. Police work is highly stressful and we felt that reminding our kid to have a positive outlet would be more valuable than any duty-related gift.

In our case this was the right decision.

Silent

Posts: 1026 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to your son, and we thank you all for his service.

I have been through this a few times. I graduated from both municipal and state academies. When I graduated in Indiana, back in the 70s, it didn't seem to be such a big deal as it is today. But it is a big deal and it should be.

Two of my sons have graduated from police academies. My youngest son graduated from the state and then made the move to the sheriff department.

When my first son graduated we got him a metal stand for his bedroom. It has his badge number on it and has a tray that holds all of his gear: shirt hangs on the back, a tray for his badge, buttons, his belt hanger etc, and a safe for his duty weapon. Everything is safe, organized and in one place. When my second son graduated, his wife wanted to buy the same thing for him so we opted for a gift certificate from the favorite service supply store where most of the officers from his department shop. He loved it.

An officer never seems to have enough gear; from knives, lights, mag pouches and cuffs, to go-bags or car storage solutions, the list is endless. The problem is, everyone has their own specific needs and tastes.

When my daughter got her MP assignment and when my son-in-law finished fire school, we went with the gift card idea. It was such a hit that now we do the same for all the birthdays of those in service.

Hope this helped.

btw its called the warrior rack https://www.warriorrack.com/pr...ree-custom-graphics/

Posts: 146 | Location: South Texas  | Registered: August 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A pair of Cross pens that match his uniform brass, plus a box of cheap ballpoints for handing to violators and loaning to other cops.

A flat badge and case for off duty use.

If the department doesn’t do it, a professional portrait in uniform

A prepaid appointment with a financial planner and retirement expert. It’s never taught in the Academy but hugely important.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
A few ideas from the most to least expensive

-Off duty gun and holster, or a gift certificate for one if you don't know what he wants. Check to see what the dept allows
-Spyderco stainless police knife
-Surefire tactical lights and lots of 123 batteries
-Extra hinge cuffs
-Tactical pen
-Zak took handcuff key

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm,NW Ind? Close to Gary?
I’d start off with a Bazooka & hand grenades.
He’d get respect pronto!

Lord, keep’em safe! Thank you.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
If you're thinking about an off duty firearm, remember he may qualify for discounts after he is sworn in... If you go with the firearm, might make more sense to give him cash or reimburse once he's purchased.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Not sure if he has a good sense of humor, but if he does, maybe a gift card from here: https://winchells.com/

Smile Razz

By the way, congrats. Watching one's kids achieve is one of the greatest joys in life.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post