SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    99 RX300 needs engine, ideas appreciated
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

99 RX300 needs engine, ideas appreciated Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
Bought a 99 RX300 new, gave it to my parents and it's been passed down to my SIL... Recently it developed a knock at 100K and looks like it's got some metal in the oil, suspected spun bearing, bad rod, not sure since it's not disassembled.

Consensus is it needs either a new/reman/used engine, or maybe it can be rebuilt,

Anyone deal with this model, pretty sure it's a typical Toyota V6 engine, so wondered if one from a Camry, or any Lexus/Toyota with a similar engine would do, or perhaps buy a short block, then build it up with the stock heads, injectors, etc.

Ho f'n Ho LOL...

Maybe an LS

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heh, I’m not into cars but even I know the answer is an LS swap!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
The first gen RX300's had a bad issue with oil sludging in the engine. The factory actually issued an extended powertrain warranty on the car because many motors went up in smoke due to oil starvation and such. I had a 2001 RX300 that started smoking on startup before I traded it in, found out that the motor let go shortly afterward. I don't think the extended warranty will help you out at this point but the takeaway is be careful about buying a used replacement engine as it could have suffered from similar sludging. At the least, find one that you can see run or check the oil pan for sludge.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I've found a long block out of El Eh California, 3 year warranty, $400 core and $1495 plus shipping, it looks brand new, clean fresh not a spot of grease,

Put a search in Ebay to see what pops up, so I can judge prices and a couple came up on Ebay search of complete engines from $999 to $1200, no core, I could drive over and get it across town from a salvage yard.... 81K on the complete engine...

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
DIY? It is very likely you will have to leave the powertrain on the subframe/crossmember, lift the body off and then separate the engine from the trans. In the case of a used engine, you really need to get one from the same make and model. Intake and exhaust systems and sensor configurations and locations (may prevent your hooking up the wiring harness) may be different.

Posts: 28007 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
You, she would have to really love that little car to embark on something like that. Obviously you have the ability. But still not sure why one would take on such a task on a vehicle of that age.

If it was a 1967 Camaro or 1972 El Camino by all means Cool

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19245 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Are you able to get a second opinion?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OKCGene,

Posts: 11865 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would be worried about buying one from someone off off ebay. They can promise a lifetime warranty and when it craps out 3 weeks after you install it, they will be long gone, it's not like a SBC that can be rebuilt cheap and easy. I say sell the thing on craigslist and move on.

Posts: 426 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at/for JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) engines? Seem to be a lot of them around these days.

A couple of examples (no idea if these are correct for your application):

http://jdmengineschicago.com/j...dm-1mz-fe-1mzfe.html

http://jdmengineschicago.com/j...e-jdm-1mzfe-1mz.html

Posts: 929 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a project I would strongly discourage but if you make the leap, take lots and lots of progress pictures. But seriously, walk away from this one.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did a JDM swap for my son's 2005 Infiniti G35 and 15 months in, it is still running like a top. If you are near to Orlando, JDM Orlando (https://www.jdmorlandoinc.com/) is a place I have used and can recommend. It was about $1350 if I recall correctly.

I have only used them once, and maybe I was lucky, but they did do the job, and kept me informed along the way, which is better than most garages I have dealt with.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did this for our 03 Odyssey in which I couldn't diagnose a severe oil leak. I did my research and found an 04 Pilot engine that would swap in. My only hang up was the need to install the Ody intake and stuff on the Pilot. Worked just fine. It's be 50K miles and not a single CEL.

That long block looks good, but it's hard to tell if it doesn't suffer from similar issues.

I hear LQK is a reputable used parts dealer.

P229

Posts: 3846 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
https://www.jdmorlandoinc.com/

JDM has a correct engine for it, they want $1,299

There is a local salvage yard with 5 engines, correct for the 99 from $999 to $1295,

I do have a guy that can do the work, we're discussing selling it off vs replacing the engine, the rest of the car is in very good shape nothing wrong with it, never wrecked,

Shame the engine took a dive, not sure why since it's driven easily and serviced regular.