SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hanging Doors - What am I not thinking about?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hanging Doors - What am I not thinking about? Login/Join 
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Hanging a door can take a cabinet maker's skills. Plus he has to bring his shop with him.

You could always suggest, "How about $385 if it turns out to be a simple replacement?" He may agree as long as he can charge $600 if it turns into a bigger project.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
As mentioned above there are a lot of potential issues with this. Ultimately it would be easier to just order the complete door making sure that the door fits the rough opening. I would assume that insurance is covering it so why not??

Also which ever way you go make sure that there is at least one 3" screw that goes from the hinge plate through the jamb into solid framing.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6472 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You already have the doors and they were a custom build so they were not cheap and not returnable. So most of the suggestions above regarding ordering a complete unit are now moot.

I would pop out the hinge pins and take one of the doors down and lay it flat on top of one of the new doors. Align the tops and sides and then you can see if the hinge mortises are in the correct place on the new door and if the old door has been trimmed at the threshold. Using a speed square mark new locations for hinge mortises if necessary and then draw a line for the bottom trimming if needed. Make any necessary cuts, remove hinge half from old door and install on new door, hang new door by replacing hinge pins. Repeat for the second door.

I replaced all the interior doors in my house using this technique. The exterior doors I went with prehung units, partially to get new weather stripping and thresholds and do a better job with weather sealing the install, but that ship has sailed for you.

Posts: 2007 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
500 dollars for someone who knows what they are doing is a bargain. I have been a cabinetmaker for 32 years and I wouldn't touch it for anything less. it sounds easy to do but if it doesn't just go like you think it will then what?

Posts: 5677 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
500 dollars for someone who knows what they are doing is a bargain. I have been a cabinetmaker for 32 years and I wouldn't touch it for anything less. it sounds easy to do but if it doesn't just go like you think it will then what?

I don't suppose you're anywhere near me?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16312 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
things always sound easy when someone else is doing. i'd pay the guy the $500 if it meant getting it done right

Posts: 3534 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
These kinds of jobs tend to be one extreme or the other. An easy peasy, lemon squeezey slam dunk or a fallen angel's nightmare. My guess is that if a professional does it the odds are slightly better it will be the former than the latter. If the odds go against the installer, that's his problem and he gets to earn his money. I'd also guess that the odds are reversed for a DIY guy. If that DIY guy is you and it goes the wrong way, it is your problem...

If I had ordered the doors, I'd feel compelled to get them in. Given that you didn't, discretion is probably the better part of valor.

Posts: 7075 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:

sorry I live in Oregon.

I don't suppose you're anywhere near me?

-Rob

Posts: 5677 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post