SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just when you think you have seen it all .
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just when you think you have seen it all . Login/Join 
posted
I went to the range yesterday . I was the only one there . About thirty minutes later a fellow shows up and starts packing in all sorts of crap . I see him start assembling a chronograph on a tripod so I get why all the stuff . He asks me if he could go set up the chrono ? Sure , no problem . I patiently wait while he places it in front of his shooting station and fiddles with this and that . Finally , he's ready so we both proceed to shoot . After about 10 minutes he asks me if he can go downrange for a moment . Sure , He walks over to the chrono and examines it for a minute then brings it back to his station . He waves me over and points to the chrono . He had shot a hole clean through it . Front to back . I literally could see daylight through it . Confused

Posts: 4065 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
A question.
Was he checking velocity or sighting in his gun?

Posts: 9532 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
A question.

Well, I know what he wasn't doing. He sure wasn't helping the OP come up with a proper thread title.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30420 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
A question.
Funny you should ask . He said he also needed to sight in his red dot . I can't believe he fired through the chrono without checking the sight first but apparently that's what he did .

Posts: 4065 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well, at least he now knows it's "minute of chronograph" lol. You've gotta keep in mind sight offset...there's a hole in a range prop car with my name on it at a certain training facility to remind me of that!

When I first got my chronograph years ago I was much less experienced, and managed to hit one of sun shade rods with a .357 Mag round out of a Taurus snubby. I'd like to blame it on that crappy poorly-timed gun, but I'm pretty sure it was my flinch more than anything. I've since put thousands of rounds over that same chronograph without incident...but there's always that little reminder at the back of my mind every time I set it up that this could be the day. There's just something wrong about putting expensive stuff down range and then shooting at it...

Posts: 8613 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Simply didn’t account for the sights height over bore at that range. Probably looked good through the optic.

He won’t make that mistake again.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6335 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
A question.

Well, I know what he wasn't doing. He sure wasn't helping the OP come up with a proper thread title.

LOL

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12342 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
A question.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Especially since people shooting their chrono isn't rare at all, deceptive title. Smile

Posts: 21111 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My steel target stand has a nice, neat round hole in it. There was a ground squirrel standing on it.... And, well, you know what happened next.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16110 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
It was intentional and you were a witness. Now he call tell his wife what he did, use you as a witness, and drop the cash on a new Labradar. Well played good sir! Well played!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
It was intentional and you were a witness. Now he call tell his wife what he did, use you as a witness, and drop the cash on a new Labradar. Well played good sir! Well played!

That's a good story, and I'm sticking to it Wink

“Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.”

John Adams

Posts: 317 | Location: Land of 10000 Taxes | Registered: March 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm ashamed to admit that the clickbait-iness of it got me to open this thread.

Now excuse me while I got start a thread titled, "Gun companies don't want you to know this."

Posts: 3187 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Especially since people shooting their chrono isn't rare at all, deceptive title. Smile
Not deceptive at all . I've never seen it done , but then again I don't run in your circle . Cool

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I saw a friend put a rifle round through his and it tipped the whole thing over. It has been done before.

Posts: 17905 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I saw a friend put a rifle round through his and it tipped the whole thing over. It has been done before.
No doubt .

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
How far down range did he set up the Chronograph?

Posts: 45382 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
If you haven't shot your chrono, you haven't done much load development. Or maybe you haven't loaned your chrono to your shooting partner.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20322 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
How far down range did he set up the Chronograph?
I would say no more than 6-8 feet from where he was standing . I don't reload and have never used a chronograph so I have no idea of where it should be set up .

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
^ I haven't used one myself either. In published chronograph data that I've seen in gun rags, the measurements are taken ~12 feet from the muzzle. This, I assume, is far enough that muzzle blast won't mess with it, and reduces the chance of shooting it accidentally. Obviously it didn't reduce it enough. Razz

Posts: 27976 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post