SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What keeps you up at night....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What keeps you up at night.... Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've known several high-profile pastors who have had death threats, armed people on church premises seeking them, and armed security are never more than a few meters away.

From them, I've learned two work place items applicable to the OP.
  • Convert one office / storage room into a panic room. Install bullet resistant glass, bullet resistant walls, bullet resistant doors, one way glass, etc. Then, conduct training / drills on getting office staff into it (kind of like a fire drill). By bullet resistant, I mean UL 752 level 7 (5 shots of 5.56) or level 8 (5 shots of 7.62).
  • Do the above, but don't use it for anything else and put a hidden entrance to it.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23259 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of logrusmaster
    posted Hide Post
    Security Vulnerabilities in IT.

-------------------------
    If not me then who? If not now then when?

Posts: 618 | Location: Earth | Registered: August 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Ammoholic
    Picture of Skins2881
    posted Hide Post
    Well I was going to post about some normal everyday money concerns. Nothing that actually keeps me up at night, like being worried about psychos.

My biggest concern is I have a plan to be debt free (except house payment) in December 2018 and I also have up coming expenses next year which will require more debt, right when I will be in the home stretch of paying everything off.

Not much to keep one up at night. I wish I could find a job that paid an extra 20k a year so I could stay on my path to being debt free.

Hopefully the moron gets over it once the case is settled. Stay safe.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20823 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Eschew Obfuscation
    posted Hide Post
    Sorry to hear this. Not having any LEO or military experience, I can't really offer any advice.

The only thing I could suggest would be to alter your routines to the extent possible so that your comings and goings are not so predictable.

Easier said than done, I know.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6404 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Little ray
    of sunshine
    Picture of jhe888
    posted Hide Post
    If my guesses about the circumstances are right, those litigants can be crazy. Some stay mad for years.

If the person is smart enough to stay on this side of the "get arrested" line, then they may also be smart enough to not do anything actually dangerous. In my experience, if they start to slip over that line, it will be the other party in the litigation, not the witnesses, who bear the brunt of it.

No guarantees, of course. If you want to talk it over, my email is in my profile.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Just because you can,
    doesn't mean you should
    posted Hide Post
    I'd have outdoor motion lights, security cameras with offsite storage and a recording device for my landline.
    If he is calling from his or the same number you can block those for free easily.
    As you probably know already, document anything or it didn't happen.
    You mentioned contact with the local police. Maybe schedule a meeting with the head of your local department and also the local DA or an ADA.
    Explain your concerns and ask their advise. If nothing else, it shows that you were concerned for your safety and the safety of others and had sought out their help, just in case something worse were to happen. Be the good guy and don't talk firearms or other defensive measures.

Posts: 9514 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Do No Harm,
    Do Know Harm
    posted Hide Post
    Have you tried to alert the presiding judge of these antics?

They universally have little patience for this, in my experience. And can actually do something, versus the cops.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
    -JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Scary situation. Difficult to deal with since your medical practice is essentially public access. Since you are planning a move, get away from the insanity and move to the Yoop. Your wife seems to be a dedicated care giver for kids and we can use that here!
    Bring your parka!
    And good luck!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
    Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of spunk639
    posted Hide Post
    In Massachusetts we've got witness intimidation statutes that apply in all cases not just criminal, check with local PD or prosecutors office, she may be eligible for a harassment prevention order as well.

Posts: 2775 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of smlsig
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    I've known several high-profile pastors who have had death threats, armed people on church premises seeking them, and armed security are never more than a few meters away.

From them, I've learned two work place items applicable to the OP.
  • Convert one office / storage room into a panic room. Install bullet resistant glass, bullet resistant walls, bullet resistant doors, one way glass, etc. Then, conduct training / drills on getting office staff into it (kind of like a fire drill). By bullet resistant, I mean UL 752 level 7 (5 shots of 5.56) or level 8 (5 shots of 7.62).
  • Do the above, but don't use it for anything else and put a hidden entrance to it.

• We have actually built rooms like this in homes we've built for some of our higher profile clients. I would add to keep a cell phone on a charger in there and don't use it for anything else. That way if you have to escape to the room you don't have to worry about trying to find your phone.

Also, you mentioned that he lived close to you and my first question was do you have a dog? A German Sherman or similar breed would be a definite assset! When my wife was a small child and they moved way out in the country they got a police academy reject (could not get used to gunfire) and that dog literally saved her life on more than one occasion.

------------------
    Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6317 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
    posted Hide Post
    Good God man! I'm thankful you are still around! You've got it way worse than me. Which reminds me

I'm thankful for my problems every day. They are by no means easy. But they are mine. And there are many that have it way, way worse than me

My father died very young of brain cancer. Even as the cancer took him he would look at me and say

"Remember son. Everyday's a good day. Some are just better than others"

As far as witness tampering, the current proceeding is civil, and my wife is no longer A witness. Judge is aware. My understanding is it will be addressed at the next hearing. There was already a court mandated psych evaluation which apparently has yet to be complied with and I'm hoping there will be consequences for that as well

Jallen, not a bad idea with the psychologist but

Between the psychologist that testified we have talked to, my wife (whose specializes in early childhood behavior) and me (former profiler who worked the better part of a decade with the criminal and criminally insane) we have a fairly good hold on the DSM-V diagnosis...

We all agree...certifiably cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs. Wink

Thanks for all the support guys. Feeling better today.

quote:
    Originally posted by 41:
    I know how you feel Kevbo. I have this one neighbor that has threaten to kill me several times and has destroyed well over $50 to $60K ...of property or more.

He has poisoned me twice and killed most of the plants and ttrees in my yard, dry wall screws in the tires, etc. Recently I found a hole in the gas line to the Buick and was lucky it didn't catch on fire.

The liberal police around here are useless. I should have moved out of here 20 years ago.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    that's diffidently enough to keep any one up at night.

As for me, I left a great good job to open a business with my wife. So far everything has been working out but still think about the future and the unknowns

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
    posted Hide Post
    Hang in there brother. It gets better. There are always unknowns and a certain level of....sobriety...that comes with the knowledge that the buck stops with you

What kind of business?

quote:
    Originally posted by scsigs:
    that's diffidently enough to keep any one up at night.

As for me, I left a great good job to open a business with my wife. So far everything has been working out but still think about the future and the unknowns

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Stupid
    Allergy
    Picture of dry-fly
    posted Hide Post
    I’m awake most nights because of chronic pain. I’ll go three or four nights of sleeping sporadically because of back pain, then usually sleep pretty well one night from being so exhausted. X ray below is from fusion #2 three months ago.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Farmer mark, put up a new bin and grain dryer,
    he's a 1/3 of a mile away but we are both on hill tops, so the noise could very well carry that far.

we'll see tonight

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54642 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Now Serving 7.62
    Picture of 10X-Shooter
    posted Hide Post
    Insomnia from Infantry days keeps me up.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post