SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question Re Cooking With Cast Iron
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question Re Cooking With Cast Iron Login/Join 
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Cast iron is a lot more durable than most of the busybodies on the internet would have you believe (yes, I do realize I'm a person on the internet, but I'll say my piece anyway.) I used to avoid tomatoes and take great care trying to avoid any trauma cleaning the pan, but after years of use I realized none of that is necessary, use the pan and it will mostly take care of itself.

These days I wipe the pan out after I use it, and hit it with some hot water and dish soap. Scrape off any gunk that's stuck on there and dry the pan. Drying them after you clean them seems to be the most important step, other than that they don't need much care. The next time I use the pan I put it on the heat with a drizzle of whatever oil is handy and it's ready to go.
I think most of the problems people blame on cast iron seasoning are more related to cooking technique instead.

If I'm not going to be using it for a while I wipe it down with some kind of cooking oil for storage, but other than that they don't need any special treatment.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3516 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
I agree with Perception about how cast iron, properly seasoned, can take a lot of abuse. The whole dish soap thing. Unless you're using soap from before the 1960s, it's unlikely to have lye as an ingredient, so it's almost impossible to strip proper seasoning off cast iron. Tomatoes are rather mildly acidic, unless you are making Italian Sunday gravy every day, it's unlikely to cook long enough to do any damage at all.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post