SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    100th Anniversary flypast of the Royal Air Force
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

100th Anniversary flypast of the Royal Air Force Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44775939

This is the BBC's coverage of the 100th Anniversary flypast and presentation of the new Queen's Colours to the Royal Air Force.

...and the first appearance of three of the RAF's new F35 aircraft together over London.

Enjoy it or have laff, just go for it. It's real entertainment.

Note, as an aside, that every adult male person on that balcony, and a couple of ladies, including the Queen and her daughter, have served with distinction in the Armed Forces - Andrew and Harry in real warfighting combat, and the Queen's husband in the Royal Navy.

Good record, eh?

tac

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tacfoley,

Posts: 11324 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Better than ours - 5 out of 10 of our Congresspersons can spell "military" with a flashlight and a dictionary....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:

Note, as an aside, that every adult male person on that balcony, and a couple of ladies, including the Queen and her daughter, have served with distinction in the Armed Forces - Andrew and Harry in real warfighting combat, and the Queen's husband in the Royal Navy.

Good record, eh?

tac

Well, it is the family business, after all.

With all the different uniforms the princes wear, it is a wonder how they keep it all straight, which doodads go with which uniforms.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Sopwith Camel to F-35C – lots of progress in aircraft over the hundred year interval.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8958 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:[QUOTE]With all the different uniforms the princes wear, it is a wonder how they keep it all straight, which doodads go with which uniforms.

The medals and orders are always the same, only the clothes change.

Anyhow, the only one who changed his uniform for one he not wear in service in was Prince Harry - he was in the Army, but is the honorary base commander of one or other RAF Stations.

tac

Posts: 11324 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Besides, they have 'people' to get all their uniforms straight. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
In about 30 minutes an RPA will launch from North Dakota and fly to the UK without a chase plane in celebration of this event.

Follow on flightradar24.com/n190tc

http://www.ga-asi.com/trans-atlantic-flight

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Besides, they have 'people' to get all their uniforms straight. Wink

All the royal family are quite able to successfully dress themselves without help, just like you and me. Only the Queen actually lives in what you would term royal style, the rest of them live like any other millionaire would. You should know, America has more of them than any other country on earth. Prince Charles has a private secretary, you know, like any other large-scale American businessman, as does Princess Anne. The royal dukes and duchesses do, too, just like any other business person would. They DO have a busy life - I'm not going to be assed to look up what they actually get up to on your behalf, but they are very busy people. With their lives constantly in the public eye as it is, any time they have for privacy must be extremely limited, as the newly-minted Duchess of Sussex must be finding as I write this and you read it.

In short, they don't sit on their collectives butts and reign all day.

tac

Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I respect the royal family. They work for a living and most (as stated above) have served in the armed forces.

Congrats to the RAF. They have 29 years on the USAF.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

In short, they don't sit on their collectives butts and reign all day.
Not even on a reigny day?

(I apologize, I just had to do that. Couldn't help myself.)

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30677 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I love British aircraft.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34116 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Gave me a sense of pride to watch that. God bless the UK!

While looking up the Typhoon, I found this...

I want one. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29702 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting Tac.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Just watched a YouTube show last night on the Hurricane and can't wait for the new movie on the Polish Hurricane Squadrons!

May the sun never set - current troubles aside, Britain has always been and remains our greatest ally. This 'bump in the road' will get sorted.

The RAF has much to be proud of - I watched a P-8A pilot take on the aircraft by a UK interviewer and he gave the UK pilots and crews a great compliment "we are capable and skilled, but the British take it to another level and are extremely capable and skilled". He was talking about how long serving the crews and platforms were and the great depth of skill developed and still resident in the RAF.

Royal family deserves respect - they serve their country and always have in this century.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:

Congrats to the RAF. They have 29 years on the USAF.

If you count the true predecessor to the USAF, The United States Army Air Service, they only have around 54 days on us.

RAF: Born April 1, 1918
Army Air Service: Born May 24, 1918

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig: The United States Army Air Service, they only have around 54 days on us.

RAF: Born April 1, 1918
Army Air Service: Born May 24, 1918

An old Irish saying - 'Níl an dara áit.'

- 'No second place'. Smile

tac

Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thank you Tac for posting this...I enjoyed it Smile...as for the Queen's service...I post these photos when she was 18...what a beautiful young lady...

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
That was something to see. The "100" formation was impressive. Thank you for posting the video, tac.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Does the UK not at present employ a dedicated strategic bomber? I didn't see any in the flyover, and the list of aircraft on Wikipedia didn't list one. Have the Brits really not had a strategic bomber since the Victor was retired in 1993?

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12779 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Does the UK not at present employ a dedicated strategic bomber? I didn't see any in the flyover, and the list of aircraft on Wikipedia didn't list one. Have the Brits really not had a strategic bomber since the Victor was retired in 1993?

Correct.

The last Vulcan in captivity flew last year - it was a preservation toy that cost a lot of people an immense amount of money to enjoy. Imagine working the line at Lamborghini, but running a team of Huracans in your spare time. The Vulcan cost around $20,000 just to take off.....

Anyhow, with SLCM and SLBMs, the British have no need for a bomber - so they say.

tac