SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Samsung vs iPhone future purchase. Need opinions from users of current gen devices.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Samsung vs iPhone future purchase. Need opinions from users of current gen devices. Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
I keep two smartphones. The secondary (old) phone stays at home and is the one that keeps the bank apps and tokens. These days it’s a Huawei (Android) and i’m thinking of retiring it and make my EDC iPhone 12 the next stay at home phone, and buy a new primary phone.

Choices are between iPhone and the latest regular size, flat, one piece, no brainer, Samsung. Other brands excluded because of my country’s shitty economy.

I pretty much regret buying my iPhone 12 every breath i take and was very happy using Android but do not discard the possibility that Samsung and other Android phones might have taken a direction that is not what i expect or will like. Had no issues with old iPhones. Very much loved them.

What do you Samsung users think of your phones. What issues should i expect?
Not much of a “phone” user, i do browsing and access my remote devices with the phone.

Thank you.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12110 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
I pretty much regret buying my iPhone 12 every breath i take ... Had no issues with old iPhones. Very much loved them.
I cannot address your question, because I do not and never would use a Samsung mobile device, but...

Why did you love your older iPhones but hate your newer one? My wife and I have been on iThings since 2017. We like 'em as well now as we did when we started using 'em.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Samsung user here.
Have had several Galaxy models.
Currently on a Note 10 (a couple years old).
The one thing that makes it palletable is deploying a Windows-like shell or launcher as it called in the app store.

I will never have anything Apple, but that's just me.

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a Pixel 6A. A lot of bang for the buck if you like Android. I can't speak to the Samsung phones. My wife has an iPhone SE. That too is a lot of bang for the buck. My next phone will be an Apple. I'm really tired of Android updates changing settings on me. The wife doesn't / hasn't had much of an issue with Apple updates on her phone.

Posts: 7553 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
I pretty much regret buying my iPhone 12 every breath i take ... Had no issues with old iPhones. Very much loved them.
I cannot address your question, because I do not and never would use a Samsung mobile device, but...

Why did you love your older iPhones but hate your newer one? My wife and I have been on iThings since 2017. We like 'em as well now as we did when we started using 'em.

Had iPhones 3, 3s, 4s and 5s, no issues but there’s no local support and Apple nuked my 4swith an update. No wifi after that. SOL.

Current iPhone 12 UI does things that drive me crazy like closing windows, dragging them, etc. The scroll bar is my worst nightmare. Just can’t enjoy the phone.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12110 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Current iPhone 12 UI does things that drive me crazy like closing windows, dragging them, etc. The scroll bar is my worst nightmare. Just can’t enjoy the phone.
Fair enough ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I realize you noted your Android choices are limited, but, if you're going to go Android I'd suggest going with as "pure" an Android experience as you can acquire. Google Pixel and, last I knew, OnePlus models, for example.

There may be others with relatively untouched Android, but, I've been out of the Android arena for some time, so those are the only two of which I'm aware.

Besides the bloatware manufacturers and carriers add to the others, there's this, from Google, itself:

quote:

The Ups and Downs of 0-days: A Year in Review of 0-days Exploited In-the-Wild in 2022
July 27, 2023

Executive Summary

41 in-the-wild 0-days were detected and disclosed in 2022, the second-most ever recorded since we began tracking in mid-2014, but down from the 69 detected in 2021. Although a 40% drop might seem like a clear-cut win for improving security, the reality is more complicated. Some of our key takeaways from 2022 include:

N-days function like 0-days on Android due to long patching times. Across the Android ecosystem there were multiple cases where patches were not available to users for a significant time. Attackers didn’t need 0-day exploits and instead were able to use n-days that functioned as 0-days.

Full blog post: The Ups and Downs of 0-days: A Year in Review of 0-days Exploited In-the-Wild in 2022

This is a major problem in the Android ecosystem and one reason I left it. (At the time, "pure Android" phones were relatively scarce and at least as expensive as iPhones. We could get relatively recent-ish used or refurbished iPhones more inexpensively.)

Btw: That "significant time" mentioned in their blog post is often "forever" - particularly for phones that are more than a couple years old.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
If you don’t like the iPhone 12 I doubt you’ll like the newest ones.

If you like the old fashioned iPhone with a home button you might look at a iPhone SE of the latest generation (SE2022, I think it’s called)

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brecaidra and I both got Samsung S21s a bit after they came out and have had zero issues. At the time it was between the S21 and S20FE. The FE had a card slot for extra storage, but the S21 had better photo and video tech. Samsung also provided more years of software updates than most, so that plus a good reliability reputation led us to Samsung.

Posts: 2368 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have carried two phones for somewhere around eight years now (I think). One has been Android (mostly Samsung). The other an iPhone.

I currently have an iPhone 13 and recently updated my Samsung S22 Ultra to a Samsung S23 Ultra.

I was happy with my S22. But the trade-in with Samsung was so good I could not pass it up. I am even happier with the S23.

These are the Snapdragon versions. I don’t know if you get the Snapdragon or Exynos versions in your country.

Since you are looking for a flat screen (which I also personally prefer) you would probably want either the S23+ or the S23.

I plan to upgrade my iPhone to an iPhone 15 Pro Max next month and keep that phone for the next three years. Apple’s iPhone has reached the point where further iterations don’t benefit me. But I really want to standardize on USB-C charging.

Anyway, I’m happy with iPhone and happy with Samsung. I don’t really see a downside to either.

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Samsung user here.
Have had several Galaxy models.
Currently on a Note 10 (a couple years old).
The one thing that makes it palletable is deploying a Windows-like shell or launcher as it called in the app store.

I will never have anything Apple, but that's just me.

same for me: s3, s5, note5, s8+, s10+...current a545g!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: airbubba,

Posts: 2213 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I just upgraded to the iPhone 13 from the 11 when I switched carriers from AT&T to Verizon because they gave it to me for free and my monthly fee went down drastically. I know this doesn't help you where you are, but I was happy with the 11 and am still happy with the 13.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38677 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I realize you noted your Android choices are limited, but, if you're going to go Android I'd suggest going with as "pure" an Android experience as you can acquire. Google Pixel and, last I knew, OnePlus models, for example.

I tried the “pure Android experience” on a Google Pixel 6 Pro and honestly it was nothing to write home about. It’s just bland. I prefer Samsung’s One UI user interface to Google’s Pixel.

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I left android awhile ago. My last android was a OnePlus 6. It’s a wifi only phone that I let my grandkids play with. My youngest is still on android with a OnePlus 8. Never had any issues with OnePlus. Will probably get him an 11 before school starts.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a stacker - I have 2 phones - an iphone 12 from work and a Galaxy S9 for personal.

I much greatly prefer the android phone. You aren't forced into all the stupid Apple stuff which I find more intrusive.

I will be upgrading the old S9 soon, but I will probably step down to the A54. The S series no longer has the option to add a memory card while the A series does. I like to bring my own music and I don't subsrcibe to a service so I need the extra memory space.

Posts: 266 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’m surprised by the number of folks that have an iPhone and an Android phone. If I had two (I don’t), I think I’d want both to be the same kind so I could keep them in sync.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clang:
I'm a stacker - I have 2 phones - an iphone 12 from work and a Galaxy S9 for personal.

I much greatly prefer the android phone. You aren't forced into all the stupid Apple stuff which I find more intrusive.

I will be upgrading the old S9 soon, but I will probably step down to the A54. The S series no longer has the option to add a memory card while the A series does. I like to bring my own music and I don't subsrcibe to a service so I need the extra memory space.

i just added an a545g, couldn't be happier! 120hz refresh is nice + 25watt charging(not included)!!

it's the 1st, not top of the line samsung i ever owned.

i have 2 hand me down iphones to keep in touch with family/extended family, who all have iphones.

Posts: 2213 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Too much bloatware on a Samsung phone for my taste, although I know they are good devices overall these days. I prefer the pure Android experience with Google Pixel devices.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I carry an iPhone 11 for work, and a Samsung A53 for personal. I like both, but agree that the Samsung is stuffed with bloatware.

Posts: 4019 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I'm convinced that Apple is much more concerned about privacy and security; plus their devices work together so seamlessly. I personally have no problems with their "manual of arms", especially since the iPhone 10--I didn't think I would like the swiping, but it's been a revelation. Wish I could get my wife to upgrade.
Best of luck in your choice.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I only had android phones supplied by my employer when I worked. The only phones I personally purchased were iPhones, they work very well for me.

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post